IWBTG Stlye Scrolling

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Change the size and position of everything without calculating anything!
  • This is an example of how to have a system similar to "IWBTG" scrolling for Lumer0

Here is the thread ->

EDIT: Sorry, the text box is cut off, show and hide the "Camera" object with Enter >.<

DOUBLE EDIT: Sorry!!! my example isnt set up right (I only played IWBTG about 2 times before I gave up), what you would do to achieve IWBTG scrolling is set it so that the Camera object is jumped ahead each time the player touches the edges

• Ok thanks, but I'm still not sure how to make it jump somewhere else (To the next screen). Sorry, I'm a noob to construct.

• Hmm, ok. well, once I get a chance (probably tomorrow) I will try to make another example and hopefully it will be closer to IWBTG

• Thanks!

• Hey i made an example of IWBTG like scrolling, hope you like it.

Edit: Ok so just to make know you got it.

Gray box is only to center view on it.

Playfield is the multiply of 3x2 fields of dimensions 320:240.

In order to make a skipping to other field you must do this formula

floor(Sprite.X/320)*320+160[/code:1o6imz08]
    Where Sprite is our player, the floor is needed to determine on which field you are so if you are in less than 320 then the value is 0 if your even further >640 then its 2 and so on, also the +160 is to center the position. The y scrollin is just the same as x just change 320 to 240 becouse height is lower.
  • Thanks!

I don't really understand it but I'll try and figure it out!

EDIT: I think I know how to use it with my game now.

• Yay, now I don't have to do it! err I mean, nice one Doppel

• It is entirely bizarre to see something classified as "IWBTG Scrolling" when I definitely didn't create it.

And now I know the math behind modulos, hooray!

• And now I know the math behind modulos, hooray!

... WHAT?

• The all mighty kayin has posted!

• Yay Kayin (the guy who probably can tell us EXACTLY how IWBTG scrolls) finally came to correct us in our wrong ways....whats Modulos though?

• The modulus is the remainder after integer division. For instance, 17 % 5 ("seventeen modulo five") is 2 -- five goes into seventeen three times, with two left over.

• Yay Kayin (the guy who probably can tell us EXACTLY how IWBTG scrolls) finally came to correct us in our wrong ways....whats Modulos though?

It was exactly the same way I did it. Only difference is, Construct doesn't have a built in modulos function, so the math for that has to be done manually (which isn't much more at all). I really don't think theres another sensical way to do it.

For those who don't know, Modulos is generally really useful for stuff like rounding numbers -- sort of how the player position in this example is rounded to the nearest screen center. Learn and love it!

• Only difference is, Construct doesn't have a built in modulos function

It does - the % operator. Znirk's example is a valid expression.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I just realized I am entirely a retard.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)