Jack & The Magical Talking Tree - Rogue Like

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:46 pm

It's absolutely fantastic, it's really bringing me to work harder on my own project.
Check out my projects Quest Board! Pixel Disk
B
S
G

Post » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:59 pm

That's stunning ! The art style is amazing, and you seem to push Construct2 Engine pretty far ! Looking for more :)
... "Je suis CHARLIE" ...
B
S
G

Post » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:42 pm

TKesse wrote:Woah!
I am very impressed... everything looks very very good.
The only thing I could criticize is the running animation. I would straighten his leg on the floor contact pose and put the foot a bit more in front of his body.

(Sorry for the giant picture above... I couldn't find a smaller one.)

But feel free to ignore my babbling :).

To me It's the most beautiful c2-game so far.

I'm a C2 noob, but I've been animating for a while. I think this is sort of right, but I see it a little differently.

Technically, TKesse is showing a contact pose from a walk cycle instead of a run cycle and I'm not really opposed to skipping this leg-straight-contact pose when animating a run.

What's happening that I think is really important, IMO, is that when you have your leg-bent-contact pose it conveys the foot moving backwards already, but the matching HAND is still going backwards, ruining your opposition of limbs. Your same-side arm and leg should be moving in opposite directions. If you can split the upper and lower body animation I think you'll find that nudging the upper body poses 2-4 frames earlier will feel a lot better.

Now I'm going to contradict my self a little here, but depending on the feel you want you could have the arms exactly opposite your legs OR maybe just a little BEFORE your legs - this gives the impression that he's pumping his arms for power but that his legs are the ones doing the pushing and fighting resistance so they're just a bit behind. So for instance the arms hit their widest pose on the take off, and then hold in mid-air before pumping in the opposite direction on the way down, whereas the legs drift to their widest pose in mid-air and hold it on the way down - a frame or two after the arms.

Tkesse is absolutely right about this being possibly the most beautiful C2 game yet, though. Stunning backgrounds, tiles, FX, and character art. I'm loving it!
B

Post » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:28 pm

I agree with the others: the art style is beautiful and unique. The bulging effect works really nice for the otherworldly atmosphere.

What other effects are you using?
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:31 am

This game looks fantastic! You've clearly put in a ton of effort getting those effects looking good, and it seems to run very smoothly.

Can't wait to see more from the gameplay side of things, and to play your demo when it's ready!
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:30 pm

@timsormin
@TKesse

thank you for the feedback. I must confess that animation is not, by far, my strongest skill :)
So thank you for those very useful advice. I was planning to rework the main character, and change the character art pipeline. I guess that will be the a good opportunity to tweak the animation.
B
S

Post » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:48 am

Absolutely gorgeous! And I love the boxset picture. Definitely a 'I want to click' image. :)
Keep up that awesome job!
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:14 pm

The Graphics and Artworks are absolutely great and awesome!
Can't wait to play!

The technique behind the "Grow-Effect" and the Water is very interesting!
B
S
G

Post » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:42 am

Posted a new video about a new feature.
Still working on integrating all the core features... still a lot work to do.
http://www.indiedb.com/games/jack-and-the-magical-talking-tree
B
S

Post » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:47 pm

wow the art is amazing... love it man... when its coming out?

omg omg omg... i just seen the video introduction on indieDB dude.. thats some kick ass game congrats getting it this far.. its awesome really enjoyed watching it.. i couldn't believe my eyes you managed to make all those out of this world effects.. in Construct2... (not cause its not possible... but more of the cpu intensity in which im curious to see as performance bench) great job again... i recommend supporting this game.. its one beautiful project it will be sad to see it not getting alive
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests