[JJList] Studies and exercises.

Show us your completed creations made in Construct 2

Post » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:33 am

Greetings, Scirra people!:)
It's been a while, like a year or something.. Nice to be back:)
// Btw, glad to see tons of new pretty features in C2, great job C2 team! :D

Shortly about myself: I'm still a novice Construct user, still have some massive game ideas,
and still have way too much to learn to make a dream of creating-a-nice-big-game come true.
But this time I have just enough time to learn >:D Also, now i have a friend of mine interested in C2 and, so..
I hope we'll gonna motivate each other :P

It all started (and ended) with this wierd thing. Lots of ideas, but way over my capabilities.
Now it's stuck at a Prototype state until i'm good enough to finish it off.

Now speaking about this topic. This is gonna be a "bloggish-like" theme, where we post our training projects, studies and so on.
I'm totally sharing .capx and answering any questions. And I'd greatly appreciate all your feedback/advices and especially criticism ^_^
I'm always up for cooperation, team learning, volunteery work, well, that kind of stuff. Makes learning a bit more fun ;)

Oki doki, let's start?

26.11.2013 Exercise 1.
This "game" came out of nothing, while I was explaining the very basics of C2 to my friend :)
Then i've just finished it as i wanted. No indeep knowledge involved.
Well, not too bad to start with, a bit of experience is still better than nothing.

Now say Hello to Flabby Joe. The Mood Killer Jelly.
Use Arrow keys to move, Spacebar to shoot and, you know.. try just to have fun :)
Reach level 6 to win.
It may seem too easy at first. Well, did that on purpose. Gets a bit harder over time. *hint hint*
A big flask to the left represents your Ink level. Once it's empty- your game is over.
No worries, just wait 5 sec and it will start again. Ink decreases over time, when you shoot and when you let a Smiley run away.
Posting capx : Messy capx.
//Updated both game and capx **

4.12.2013 Exercise 2.
Tower Defence exercise. This one is all about making an OK mechanics/prototype, not a full playable game:) (might do it later)

Here is a demo: TowerDefence study.

Main things to do:
[done] -Enemy movement along a path
[done] -Tower management ( building, selecting, upgrading )
[DONE] -Towers shooting mechanism
     ( aiming a proper enemy, damaging it, splash/slowing/poisoning etc.)
-Waves. Spawning enemies in a pre-defined order.
-Lesser things like money gain, win/lose conditions, simple menu and so on.

You can do is build/upgrade towers and spawn enemies manually pressing 1-5 keys.
Press [M] to get some extra money, [Shift + M] to set money to 0.
Click the tower to select it, [Esc] or right-click to cancel building/upgrading mode.
Double-click "Sell" button to sell a tower.

09.12.13 update
At last! I've moved from deadpoint with Independent tower targeting/shooting/parsing stats an so on! :D
Battle system still needs tweaking, but that's more like balance stuff, working on formulaes rather than coding.. so, not a big deal :D
Making it work exactly how you mean it to do after a series of failures.. feels great!
Here is what i've tried to do : Event Based Turrets. That was an attempt to imitate turret behavior via events. Might be a good solution if it works properly..
but it does not:(
While you have one type of tower- everything is fine. But just when you add unique stats on towers.. it breaks.
Something is wrong with picking objects, and I didn't manage to find all the mistakes, so..
I've decided to play around a default turret behavior. And scored. Works nice and smooth :) Capx Independent Turrets

So, I consider first 3 points of my plan done:) And that is like 2/3 of the whole exercise:D
To-do list: Implementation of waves/levels, scoring system, menu, minor UI updates and final balancing!) Won't take long, i hope, most of the critical issues are fixed:D

17.12.2013 Exercise 3.
Alllright, just can't focus on one thing, here's a small RPG-ish thing
Arrow keys to move, [Space] to interact :P
Nevermind it, it's terribly raw)
RPG excJJList2013-12-17 08:22:14
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:57 am

That game is kinda cool. Nice and easy. :)
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:14 am

@Burvey, Thanks alot! :) It was all about making an easy and pretty straightforward game. But.. as a hardcore gamer myself.. i could not leave it without a little "easter egg". Did you happen to find it?:PJJList2013-11-26 02:15:00
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:22 am

Muhahahaha!
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:56 pm

Bumpeh, posted a second exercise! :)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:51 pm

(bump)Exercise 2. A little "Breakthrough" in Tower Targeting :D
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:49 am

Exc 3: The Rudimentary RPG :P

P.S. Oh, and by the way :)JJList2013-12-17 09:57:31
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:20 pm

@JJList Hi! can you post Exercise 3 capx, please?
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:48 pm

@SirG Sure, here it is! Exc3.capx
But it's still really messy, i've stopped working on it ;c
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:16 pm

@JJList thank you ))))