Joystick, equivalences table and developpment kit

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
From the Asset Store
A smart joystick plugin, perfect for all mobile games.
  • Hi everybody,

I know it's a stupid question but I ask it anyway since I didn't find recent posts about it :

Does a joystick plugin/object already exists?

I also wrote a document to show the TheGamesFactory/MultiMediaFusion objects and option names compared to Construct ones. I'd like to know if it could be useful, and if I should publish it here.

Construct is great, and I find it greater than TGF/MMF. So I thought a document like that could be helpful for TGF/MMF users who begin with Construct, for example.

Last thing, I've recently seen somewhere that an object developpment kit does exist. Is that right?

If it is, can anybody tell me where I can find it please? I'd like to look at it, even if I'm not sure I would be able to do something with it.

Have a good night!

Kan

• There's no plugin for generic joysticks/controllers yet, and I don't know when or if one is coming.

Last thing, I've recently seen somewhere that an object developpment kit does exist. Is that right?

If it is, can anybody tell me where I can find it please? I'd like to look at it, even if I'm not sure I would be able to do something with it.

I imagine you're looking for the Construct plugin SDK? If so, you can find the latest version here. Keep in mind that you'll need Visual Studio version 6 or later to make anything with it.

• Sadly, there seems to be no joystick support yet (other than the special case of XBox360 controllers).

Ogre sports a standalone Joystick library that features force feedback among other goodies.

http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/Using_OIS

Perhaps some plugin guru can bridge OIS with construct via a plugin?

• well, if you're not gonna be using the joysticks analog input, for now you could always package your game with a copy of joy2key and a predefined preset.

• Why do I remember someone saying they were working on a general joypad plugin? Am I crazy? Was I imagining things?

Anyway, I hope one is made some day. I will give the creator of such a plugin a cookie.

• davo said he was

maybe now that python is in the buildin', in full effect, homey

it might be trivial to get some joystick library imported?

don't know haven't tried using libraries yet

but I'm pretty sure there are some out there for that

• I think I've said it before, but for a game creator, it seems bizarre for there not to be joystick support out of the box.

It's like leaving out graphics or sound, in my opinion.

I think it should be a priority to have joystick support by version 1.0.

In the meantime, Quazi's suggestion is the best bet, which is the same path I'm going down at the moment, but for a different reason (so that the game in question easily works with my MAME Cab )

Krush.

• Thanks for the Construct plugin SDK. Is Visual Studio free? I already worked a bit with Visual Basic, but I don't have Visual Studio...

Yeah, I have Joy-to-Key. I just wanted something...well, more included.

I'll look at all this but maybe I'll wait for the joystick plugin which somebody was saying he is making.

And about my Construct/MMF names comparison?

Does anybody needs it?...

Kan

• post it up in tutorials, im sure itll be of use to alot of ppl

• Cool! Thanks!

And by the way, if ever somebody is making the joystick plugin at the moment and read this, when it will be released make a headline to say it!

(Sorry for my english, I even don't know if this sentence is understandable...)

Kan

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • joy2key doesn't really work for analog input either.

Construct really really needs a PC controller plugin.

• Construct really really needs a PC controller plugin.

Agreed. And it would be nice if it were somehow integrated into the current XBOX plugin so that Construct users don't have to set up control events for two different plugins.

Actually, I guess that would be hard to do, eh? Stupid Microsoft and their stupid analogue triggers

• > Construct really really needs a PC controller plugin.

>

Agreed. And it would be nice if it were somehow integrated into the current XBOX plugin so that Construct users don't have to set up control events for two different plugins.

Actually, I guess that would be hard to do, eh? Stupid Microsoft and their stupid analogue triggers

I know a bit about the insides of the 360 plugin, from when I was developing the custom controls plugin.

I think it would be pretty simple to integrate the two.

mousekeyboard, and 360 already share the On Control events

but, I think any directinput implementation would be incomplete without user customizable controls. Unlike xinput, dx doesn't have any well established standards for how a controller be arranged. A face button on one dx pad, might be a shoulder button on another.

• but, I think any directinput implementation would be incomplete without user customizable controls. Unlike xinput, dx doesn't have any well established standards for how a controller be arranged. A face button on one dx pad, might be a shoulder button on another.

True, the buttons on my gamepad are marked like so:

But there are many games I've played where they assume the buttons are

etc., or they call button 1 button 0 or something, and the entire thing is offset by 1, or the shoulder buttons are switched.

• Well, call the buttons with cap letters (button A, button B, ...) instead of numbers, and the user will just have to try his buttons to see what they do. In MultiMedia Fusion, that's what I did because I didn't know what button of my joystick corresponded to what control in the plugin.

By the way, here is my TGF/MMF - Construct equivalences table :

Kan

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)