Just a silly idea.... or is it?

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
This Silly Comedy Music Pack features 5 different moods of quirky and funny music tracks!
  • Hi,

I know I'm new here but I've been reading a lot about people wanting to make money from their games:

One person said that a lot of it is luck, this is true but I have an idea that logically would take most of the luck out of the equation.

To make a game successful you need:

1. A great game

2. word of mouth and or social media viral

3. Lots of people downloading it

4. Lots of people rating it (this doesn't have to be high ratings as I've seen games in the top 50 with really bad ratings!)

5. App store making it a featured game

I can't help with the great game, I hate flappy birds but yet loads of people love it, so there's no way of knowing what's a great game.

But.... I know this forum has a section for people to list their new games but what if...

When a new game is made by a construct 2 user, we get a mass email giving us the link to download it.

As a huge amount of users all 'putting the effort' in to help a fellow construct 2 user we can 'honestly' rate the game.

If the game is good then the amount of people that have downloaded it and rated it would increase the chances of the app store 'taking notice' of that game, and would help anyone outside of construct 2 chose to download it or not.

And if the game does well it might make you start a new game yourself (if you are not already making one).

And when it's your turn to upload your game to an app store, wouldn't you want a large amount of people all downloading it and playing it? I would!

If you downloaded the game and liked it, you could post about it on facebook/twitter etc.

This will then take out a lot of luck and put the higher percentage in the hands of the game maker.

I know that no-one on here would leave bad reviews or low scores out of spite, because you all bend over backwards to help fellow game makers.

To sum up:

We all get email with link to a new game (if free they have more chance of people downloading it to play it)

We all make the effort to download, play and rate it.

The game maker then have a large amount of ratings that he/she wouldn't have had.

Your thoughts are welcome (don't hate me it's just an idea)

• Scirra already promotes good games made with C2 through their social media platforms. I don't think that the email idea would be fruitful. A lot of the users would ignore the game as they don't have the time to download an check every single one. Over time the emails would only become annoying and it could affect Scirra negatively.

• I agree on glerikud on this one. You can't expect Scirra to just post all the games made by C2 users, it would result into chaos (a bit exaggeration) . My point is, look at the Scirra Arcade, the site has so many unfiltered games since it is free to publish with little restrictions. Few people expect good games there nowadays because of the majority of broken and unplayable games. If that were to happen with the newsletter, it will be disastrous and i doubt it will even help. Not to mention that many games are made everyday by C2 users and sad to say most of them aren't marketable.

Though, filtered sharing of games through newsletter is another story, and yes it is implemented by Construct 2. They only share worthy games like Klang and dynamic multiplayer games.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • You can't expect Scirra to just post all the games made by C2 users, it would result into chaos (a bit exaggeration)

This makes it sound like loads of games are released each day.

Surely there's only 1 or 2 a month released? or are there really that many that would annoy fellow game makers if they got an email saying a new game is released?

• Like everyone else has said so far, most of the stuff that gets released are either junk or partially finished (look at the arcade). I wouldn't want to get emails about all the stuff being released. It's way more then 1 or 2 per month. Perhaps if there were a human filter that weeded out the garbage games then it might be ok but that would be a lot of work.

• Ah, ok, I assumed that every game finished was a polished final version.

Thanks for the replies.

• > You can't expect Scirra to just post all the games made by C2 users, it would result into chaos (a bit exaggeration)

>

This makes it sound like loads of games are released each day.

Surely there's only 1 or 2 a month released? or are there really that many that would annoy fellow game makers if they got an email saying a new game is released?

Yes. So many game releases per week. When C2 was still very active like 2015, many games per day were released at the arcade based on my observation. And 90% were sadly unmarketable.

• Wow, I didn't know that, it's taking me a while to make my game and I've really only just finished level 1, I thought this would be the case for most people.

Oh well, I guess not every game is going to be good (now praying mine will be!)

Thanks

• I wouldn't even worry about making money from your games. Do it for the enjoyment and education as you improve your design skills.

I have been designing computer games since I was 15 on a Vic 20. That is 20KB of RAM to work with. Think about that?

I sold a couple many years ago and now getting back in to it with C2 because it is easy to master and has lots of features.

If your game is good put it on the arcade and post it here in the forum and get feedback.

Once you have a hundred or so games under your belt with some good ratings you might be ready to consider making a game for money.

This is my latest creation a Pinball sandbox game that I will design so people can create their own pinball designs and share them with their friends.

https://www.scirra.com/arcade/tutorial-games/pinball-physics-demo-13984

I am hopeful that game will make me a little money but if not I had a great time designing it and learned a lot and helped other people along the way.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)