Keyboard Killer - Speed Typing Game

Show us your completed creations made in Construct 2

Post » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:03 pm

My first shot at a Construct game, so thought I'd start with something simple.

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8262744/KeyboardKiller/index.html

Uses Facebook for the high scores. Destroy the blocks by typing what's in them, including the first "START" block.

Right now it's fairly simple, type the words to get points, if you manage to type it without making mistakes, you get extra points.

The core mechanics are all pretty much in there, except for one, which is a way to get extra time on the clock, and I'm already working on that.
B
S

Post » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:35 pm

Can't do more than 106 here >< Nice first game !
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:06 am

125 score here!

And yep, very cool game. The graphics work very well and the game's simple, making it easy to get into.

I'd personally change the font myself. I'm just big on fonts, I think even Comic Sans might work well for it.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:55 am

134 here!
cool game, simple but addictive
B
S

Post » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:58 am

That was quite fun. The words, but moreso the specific letter combinations, felt very foreign to my fingers, which added to the difficulty of the game. However, I managed to squeeze out a 184. I did notice two things you may want to consider fixing/changing:

1. After the end of a round, the restart box would sometimes drop, and other times it wouldn't. In the case of the latter, the game behaves as if I had typed "restart", and a new stack of words would fall. I couldn't consistently make either behavior occur.

2. The text can be difficult to read when placed on top of a lighter colored block. This becomes more evident with the text turns yellow.

Really nice job overall.

EDIT:

Now that I'm not half asleep, I wanted to see if I could best my score. I ran into another issue. I was unable to get past hyphenated words. I could type up to the hyphen, but couldn't make it past.

Also, new high score - 204zatyka2013-07-02 14:49:34
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:18 am

Cool game Took a lot of tries to get, but 190 but it took me switching to Chrome to do that (there is lag in Firefox that hangs sounds and even hangs the words from falling down I found).

It seems to definitely be sound playing that brings any issues in the game, and I found that even less than a 1/2 second of delay was throwing me off (typing sounds were usually okay, but the yay/miss sounds playing really made concentration hard and threw off my typing).
Construct Classic - Examples Kit Dropbox is a pile of trash and if you need my old files PM me! :)
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:22 am

cool game! 150 thats he best i got.
right now.

Post » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:17 pm

[QUOTE=zatyka]1. After the end of a round, the restart box would sometimes drop, and other times it wouldn't. In the case of the latter, the game behaves as if I had typed "restart", and a new stack of words would fall. I couldn't consistently make either behavior occur.[/QUOTE]
Maybe it's less obvious if you play without logging in, but it's supposed to be like this:
If you get a new high score, the "RESTART" block falls, followed by blocks containing the scoreboard between you and your Facebook friends. If you don't get a high score, the game just restarts, that is, the "START" block falls, followed by new words.

I plan on making this more obvious by playing some sort of cheering sound and showing a message when there's a new high-score.

Hyphens and other special characters don't seem to work right away with the method I'm using in construct, I hope I find a solution soon.
B
S

Post » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:33 pm

Very nice execution!

Maybe it's just me, but those words seem really exotic and difficult to spell. Is that the intention? Because I'd feel I'd be able to get a much higher score if I actually knew the words.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:20 am

[QUOTE=sqiddster] Very nice execution!

Maybe it's just me, but those words seem really exotic and difficult to spell. Is that the intention? Because I'd feel I'd be able to get a much higher score if I actually knew the words.[/QUOTE]Not intentional, it was just the first English name list I came across, but it turned out to have a lot of weird names in it.

I've been thinking about what other lists I should include, but the biggest problem will be actually making the lists, right now the list is pretty huge (thousands of names) and I feel like that's a good number, I don't want people to start seeing repeated names after playing two or three times. Making the lists manually would ruin this, so I'm not really sure how I'm going to make these custom lists.Raicuparta2013-07-03 01:24:01
B
S

Next

Return to Completed Creations