keyboard with/or touchpad for testing touch events

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
Total customisation of the input! You can combine inputs from all peripherals. Make your game accessible for everyone!
  • So, if I buy one of those keyboards that have multi-touch touchpads (like Microsoft's All-in-One Media keyboard), or a standalone touchpad (like the Logitech T650), would I be able to test the Touch object's functionality within windows?

I am using win7 by the way.

Thanks in advance for any input!

• You should be able to. It would make sense at least. Mouse clicks also work as touch.

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemn ... 6824254117

You could always get a touch monitor for the desktop.

• Tylermon , thank you for your advice!

You should be able to. It would make sense at least. Mouse clicks also work as touch.

Are you sure about that? I think the opposite is true, meaning that the touch object by default registers one finger touches as left mouse clicks. I don't have any experience with tablets or smartphones and just yesterday I was trying to show to a friend of mine a test I'd made and I realized that the mouse input I had implemented didn't work at all in his smartphone.

The touch monitor is a good idea, however I have 3 monitors and they are causing enough trouble already with the jerkiness, like we've discussed on the other topic

I am looking for cheap and easy solution to do more of "universal" interface tests, until I have the resources to buy a descent tablet and/or a smartphone...

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Tylermon , thank you for your advice!

> You should be able to. It would make sense at least. Mouse clicks also work as touch.

>

Are you sure about that? I think the opposite is true, meaning that the touch object by default registers one finger touches as left mouse clicks. I don't have any experience with tablets or smartphones and just yesterday I was trying to show to a friend of mine a test I'd made and I realized that the mouse input I had implemented didn't work at all in his smartphone.

The touch monitor is a good idea, however I have 3 monitors and they are causing enough trouble already with the jerkiness, like we've discussed on the other topic

I am looking for cheap and easy solution to do more of "universal" interface tests, until I have the resources to buy a descent tablet and/or a smartphone...

The mouse and touch are two different inputs, you can have the touch object also trigger mouse clicks within C2's options, but it is more a shortcut rather than an obligation, some interfaces are done to work with both, but they do not trigger like the same input behind the scene.

Also the stock browser of android (I think 4.4 corrected that) is, from my knowledge, the only one to mix up touch and mouse (a click counts also as a touch, and vice versa), it is an annoyance for when you do support for both inputs type, which is why I would suggest ignoring it if you ever go with android for testing.

• Aphrodite , thank you for your response.

Taking what you just wrote into account, my first concern is if I will be able to simulate the multi-touch capabilities of a mobile device within my default windows7/browser environment, by using those types of hardware that I mention in my OP. This is because I don't have at my disposal any mobile device at the moment and I wish to try the multi-touch features in C2.

• Never tried them, sorry, I think a touchscreen under windows would work, but a multi-touch touchpad is something I never heard off myself, I always though a basic laptop touchpad was a mouse-simulated device (which it is), but maybe there are others that correspond to a touchscreen behind the scenes. So I have no idea, I prefer to have a tablet or a mobile to test personnally.

• A screen is honestly your best option. Second only to buying a cheap tablet/phone.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KC6I06S?tag ... 21185ba4_b

kindle fire is not a bad option honestly.

If you live in the states, wait for cyber monday/black friday for some hopefully nice sales.

I personally might(not sure if I want to sell yet) be willing to sell my shield tablet(with two stylii and chargers) + 32gb memory +controller for $340(roughly $100+ off) Condition like new. (Gave android another try, not so sure im loving the os)

-----------

A touch pad wont give you multitouch proportional to your screen or anything. At least non that I have seen. They usually act like a mouse, but support gestures such as pinch to zoom. Or two fingers to go back or forward in a web page.

I dont know how that will translate as touch or not though.

-----------------

Also, add a touch even to a project. Go into debug and click. You will notice the mouse registers as a touch. At least for me it does.

Using chrome.

• Aphrodite , thank you, I underestand what you mean.

Tylermon , you are right, I should probably go for the real thing. I don't have the money at the moment and when I do, I'd rather buy something that will last a few years as a benchmarking device. Unfortunately, I live in Greece and everything is way more overpriced here.

You are right, adding the touch object does register x,y coordinates when clicking the mouse. That's good to know, thank you.

Thank you both for your time!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)