[Kickstarter] Adaptive Music

0 favourites
  • 13 posts
From the Asset Store
6 looping tracks to use in your games and projects. These tracks are in the style of the 1960s detective movie genre.
  • There is a sound package being developed on Kickstarter called Adaptive Music. It's only just popped up today and has a pretty ambitious goal of letting the user grab blocks of sound and set them to play in such a way that the music seamlessly flows from 1 style to another whilst keeping a general melodic theme.

Check out the link below to support the projects' development or just have a bit of a lookie-loo :

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/76415233/adaptive-music

The pledge levels are rather low considering the potential rewards once the campaign gets fully funded ^ ^

• I believe they are just giving music packs and not the software. Is it your project?

• Hey there yes they are the music packs being created. The content is intended to be easy enough to assemble that additional audio editing software should not be necessary for deployment.

It is my project and I suppose I'm still finding my feet with the correct way to let others know that it exists.

Some of the information I have been told states that I shouldn't mention it's me who is the creator as this seems more like a professional press release and then other sources advise the complete opposite to this. It's surprisingly confusing trying to just get a dream I have turned into a reality O.o

I really want the ability to create an abundant resource of music that can be easily picked up by content developers and assembled with minimal effort as I believe this dynamic approach can lead to the possibility of increased end user immersion during gameplay if the background music is adapting to the very actions of the player in the game.

• Look for teams to crowd fund with,

More people joining forces, more the chance you will succeed. People trusts a team more.

Also you need a lot of marketing muscle to pull it off. Not going to be easy.

• I completely agree with using adaptive music for games--the rest of the game interacts, why in the world shouldn't the music? If kickstarter doesn't work for you, you may find luck with finishing one complete group and releasing that on asset stores and using any success with that one to fund subsequent ones. And, in case you were wondering, Construct 2 makes adaptive music very easy to implement (I've made several instances of it).

• Thanks heaps for the support and tips!

Look for teams to crowd fund with,

More people joining forces, more the chance you will succeed. People trusts a team more.

Also you need a lot of marketing muscle to pull it off. Not going to be easy.

I have recently been approached by another Sound Engineer so I am going to be entering into a live chat with them over the next few days to discuss the possibility of expanding Adaptive Music to also include Adaptive SFX packages as well.

I completely agree with using adaptive music for games--the rest of the game interacts, why in the world shouldn't the music? If kickstarter doesn't work for you, you may find luck with finishing one complete group and releasing that on asset stores and using any success with that one to fund subsequent ones. And, in case you were wondering, Construct 2 makes adaptive music very easy to implement (I've made several instances of it).

I originally wanted to complete an entire Themed Pack for the project but the costs to upgrade my equipment and then secure the non-trial copies of the audio software make it somewhat out of my reach which is why I started the Kickstarter project off to try and raise enough funds so that I can produce the music to an expected high quality standard.

I really like the way Construct 2 handles events and have found that this approach to scripting is now becoming more common even in the big engines like UDK and Unity 3D but of cause Construct has been at it since the beginning and have it down to a fine art already whilst the new-comers are still finding their feet ^ ^

• Thanks Plowman for sharing a working link to the project. I have been working hard to organise a solid press release for it to better spread word so hopefully things can turn around for the Kickstarter before it's too late ^ ^

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • hey Jax cool concept but you really need some high quality music on there! hopefully you have a source for that!

I'd also add a video that solely shows the music transitions and not talk over it. Even make a quick C2 game that clicks between the music to show transitions... would go a long way to show exactly what you are talking about.. esp for the layman!

good luck!

• Hey there Jobel,

That's an excellent idea. I think I will get onto producing a sample Construct game to show how the adaptive music flows between various Sound Blocks in the context of a game. There is a demonstration that shows the flow between an Intro->Genre->Outro sound block for the Action Genre in the context of video production but as you highlight, nothing similar for game environments.

• I've ran into a small issue with the sample game. For some reason it is generating far too many enemies and I've tried to identify the issue all day but just can't pick why it's happening.

I am using a system where a global variable called Enemies starts at 0

as enemies are spawned in, it adds 1 to that variable.

as an enemy is destroyed, it subtracts 1 from that variable

I have a condition in place so that if the Enemies variable is less than 11 a new enemy can be spawned in.

For some reason even with this (what I figured) water tight setup, when 1 enemy is destroyed it creates around 80 more in quick succession :s

• I have not gone through scirra behaviours yet. I have used game salad a lot which is similar and I can say you need to make sure a particular variable is nested under a particular variable. How you nest them is very important.

I will probably go through some tutorials but I am late with all the other works as I was offline for a week.

• Yeah I am finding the way construct handles instancing and things is very different to the way other software I have worked in like Unity deal with things.

I am actually looking at building a similar demo game in UE4 using blueprints as well just so it can have an example file for usage and reference purposes.

I now have most of the sample game completed and am just waiting to get a few of the strange bugs being experienced looked into. Some are not bugs I'm sure but there are others which most likely are.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)