Kill the free version

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:49 am

[QUOTE=Miu3] I highly disagree.
Construct2 for its regular updates is not even fitting for a 30 day trial.
Ppl should be free to try the product out and know what they are paying for first.
Scirra wont in no way get higher earnings from killing a limited free version that you cannot use for commercial project because you need more than 100 events to make a game.

You should make a detailed explanation of why you think "killing" the free version is a good idea and how is that improving the selling.

What would boost the selling in my opinion is making quality games with construct2 and get positive reviews by big companies or big web gaming communityes.
Indie communities would be a good start to publish reviews because that kind of comunity contains all kind of game developers and game lovers[/QUOTE]

I personally found out about Construct2 via the Reddit GameDev community, along with the Construct2 Subreddit.
MOO
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:48 am

Free users are not customers
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:09 am

No, but they will be, hence the phrase "the first taste is always free".
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:14 am

[QUOTE=sogen] Free users are not customers[/QUOTE]

But the majority of customers started as Free users. Getting rid of the chicken, also gets rid of the eggs...
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:16 am

The free version has enough limitations that you quickly realise you need the full version. Without the free version I would not have tried C2. As it is I have a business licence and it the best value for money I have gotten out of a purchase in quite a while.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:19 am

[QUOTE=BluePhaze] [QUOTE=sogen] Free users are not customers[/QUOTE]

But the majority of customers started as Free users. Getting rid of the chicken, also gets rid of the eggs...[/QUOTE]

I was totally sold by the free version. I just downloaded it, so I could look at the games source code, to help me understand HTML5.

One nice aspect about the free version for studios is that you can have a large selection of people you can choose from to hire.
You can give them a challenge task to test their ability's without having to buy them a copy of C2.

B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:54 pm

[QUOTE=sogen] Free users are not customers[/QUOTE]

Reading this, kinda hurts my brain. Also, I am surprised this thread is still going.
I guess Sogen is not that great in the matters of marketing. I will not go into detail how this business model works, but will end with this - free users generate paid users.

I think that Sogen might be a Troll, please do not feed the trolls.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:57 pm

Best thing about the free version of C2 is seeing people using it at game jams. I keep seeing more and more people using C2 at jams, everytime I go to one. I wasn't sold by the free version because I used Construct Classic and I was totally in love with it. When Scirra announced C2, it was the only logical step to get it (even more with the special discount).

I wish I could just unsee this thread, though.andreyin2013-02-24 22:58:15
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:15 am

Sogen, I guess by "free version" you mean Construct Classic (and not the 100 event limited trial) in the hope to turn free CC users into paid C2 ones, right? Not sure whether this could work, though it may make a little more sense than killing the C2 Free Edition which is fundamental for spreading the word about the tool...
Image Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:16 am

[QUOTE=roberto] Sogen, I guess by "free version" you mean Construct Classic (and not the 100 event limited trial) in the hope to turn free CC users into paid C2 ones, right? Not sure whether this could work, though it may make a little more sense than killing the C2 Free Edition which is fundamental for spreading the word about the tool...[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure he means C2 Trial. In another thread he states that the only model he will consider is a "profit from day one" in which there is no IAP or demo. An upfront cost only model. I would love to hear a more robust explanation to understand his business views, but his responses are terse and explain nothing but a simple thought.

I'm all up for a great discussion on marketing, maybe there is something in his years of research that backs up his belief of upfront cost only. maybe he has analysed the market and we might be in a swing trend to go back to the upfront model of software consumerism.

but nothing of such comes forward :(

However, roberto you have a point. Sciraa might want to consider pushing the CC group into the C2 and eventually stop supporting CC. Maybe a price discount if they have any games released on CC or CC games converted and running on the Scirra arcade. $10 for a simple game for price reduced or some such thing.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General