Kill the free version

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:16 am

[QUOTE=roberto] Sogen, I guess by "free version" you mean Construct Classic (and not the 100 event limited trial) in the hope to turn free CC users into paid C2 ones, right? Not sure whether this could work, though it may make a little more sense than killing the C2 Free Edition which is fundamental for spreading the word about the tool...[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure he means C2 Trial. In another thread he states that the only model he will consider is a "profit from day one" in which there is no IAP or demo. An upfront cost only model. I would love to hear a more robust explanation to understand his business views, but his responses are terse and explain nothing but a simple thought.

I'm all up for a great discussion on marketing, maybe there is something in his years of research that backs up his belief of upfront cost only. maybe he has analysed the market and we might be in a swing trend to go back to the upfront model of software consumerism.

but nothing of such comes forward :(

However, roberto you have a point. Sciraa might want to consider pushing the CC group into the C2 and eventually stop supporting CC. Maybe a price discount if they have any games released on CC or CC games converted and running on the Scirra arcade. $10 for a simple game for price reduced or some such thing.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:19 am

Without the free version, I would never have startet making 8BitBoy with C2.

I think the free version is a great way of showing how easy and intuitive C2 is. And you can only get so far with the free version that serious users will buy it anyway. So it's nok like the free version gets in the way of selling the full version.
B
S

Post » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:42 am

[QUOTE=jayderyu]I'm pretty sure he means C2 Trial. In another thread he states that the only model he will consider is a "profit from day one" in which there is no IAP or demo. An upfront cost only model. I would love to hear a more robust explanation to understand his business views, but his responses are terse and explain nothing but a simple thought.

However, roberto you have a point. Sciraa might want to consider pushing the CC group into the C2 and eventually stop supporting CC. Maybe a price discount if they have any games released on CC or CC games converted and running on the Scirra arcade. $10 for a simple game for price reduced or some such thing.[/QUOTE]
Assuming the topic is about C2 100-event limit trial, I would love to hear a more in-depth reason why free version should not exist as well. Until then I'm going to stick to my impression that Scirra is having an excellent business model in place that not only has earned them enough revenue to update the engine (come on isn't Construct 2 being updated at the speed of light already?), they have also earned my respect for showing positive encouragement in game making, or even the concept of programming if one look at Construct 2 as more than just a game engine.

I can kind of see why they keep CC to linger. It's like a piece of history to treasure, a relic you may say. It would be a great idea if CC game makers are given some kind of incentive for making the jump to C2.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:47 am

Yes, without the free version I would have never even though of using C2 in the first place. So, there isn't any actual point to get rid of the free version of C2 or even CC.
B

Post » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:02 am

Just because I disagree makes me a troll??
SC2 should have ads "made with SC2", and should also limit the export.

I just think 100 events, 100% free, is not the best business model in the long run.

I'll stop posting and focus more on doing. cya.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:38 am

Ugh. Just ugh. Do you really not comprehend the purpose of a function limited demo? Killing the free version would destroy the entire market for the product. People don't buy software like this without trying it first.

And 100 events is bloody near useless for making anything more complex than a tech demo or a really simple flash-style game. Serious users can not make due with the free version so this idea that there are free-riders out there mooching off of Scirra for their own benefit is a farce.
B

Post » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:44 am

"Just because I disagree makes me a troll?? ALSO ADS WOULD BE GREAT SEE YA"

Hahahahaha oh god
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:16 am

Ok, c'mon, let's keep it civil and the troll accusations to a minimum, people can have differing opinions without trolling.

Also, @sogen - as you seem to be unaware, scirra is already meeting all of your points in your first post with the strategy it is currently using. They are making a living working on it full time, and therefore have a strong incentive to keep c2 from becoming abandonware. However, c2 has only one programmer, and he can only code so much so fast. Even with just one coder though, the updates are insanely fast, some other game dev tools have months or even years between updates. As many people seem happy with the free version, I strongly doubt switching to your suggestions would improve scirra's revenue. C2 is so different from many other tools, many people would likely not be able to tell how awesome c2 is without the free version.Arima2013-02-26 03:21:04
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:22 am

And I'd also add that
[QUOTE=sogen] SC2 should have ads "made with SC2", and should also limit the export.[/QUOTE]
is part of the free version limitations already @sogen.
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:26 am

Add me as another that probably would have never purchased C2 without first trying the free version. The lack of object families in the free version is what ultimate led me to making the purchase.
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General