Kind of like Flappy Bird but with rockets

Show us your completed creations made in Construct 2

Post » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:16 pm

@stiivais-want me to critique the game called "unbeatable pong" you put in the arcade :-)dinofun2014-02-17 23:17:07
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:05 am

@dinofun Come at me, bro!
Except that, you know, i messed up the export and there is just a black screen, the only way you could have played it would have been in that pong thread, where i had an html exported version...

Also, as you can probably tell, my critique is just nitpicking - seeing flappy bird clones every day is irritating to say the least. Either way, should an image of the doge we all like and love make an actual appearance, i'd say nothing bad of the game. :D

However, here's some actual (and hopefully useful feedback):
1.) although the collisions do work, there is no clear indication when you hit something, perhaps you should have a crash/damage sprite of some sorts
2.) it appears that the change in vertical velocity is too gradual, which creates the illusion of high latency (a small change there shouldn't hurt the difficulty), but perhaps this is just Firefox acting up
3.) sound skips, is distorted - most likely Firefox again (this game is supposed to have sound, right? - should have stayed with chrome :/)
4.) there is some time between clicking the link at the bottom of the screen and the link actually opening (you might want to create a pressed state or whatever)
5.) no doges

I await your critique on the pong game (assuming that there's still a working copy somewhere).
//written on my androidBrick (excuse the formatting)
B
S

Post » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:53 am

Audio is definitely screwed up on Firefox.

Graphics are flawed by the very nature of your graphics. The player looks like a cutout, whereas the coins are way too pixelated (which just doesn't go well with the ways you depicted the meteors).

The artificial input lag largely stems from the way you implemented physics. It's not as if the ship wouldn't react to my input right away (as can be seen from the ship's active back-burner), but it just takes a great amount of time to finally move upwards.

It might be just me, but I prefer slightly arcadier controls. Realism is way less fun.

As for Stiivais main criticism: Get yourself a pair of glasses, dude! The doge is right there, inside the player ship.
B
S

Post » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:57 pm

There is a Flappy Jam going on right now for those that are not aware, did you make this for that Jam? If not you should add it to the more than 300 submissions.

It is a nice way to show support for fellow game developers regardless of your stance on the "original" game.

http://itch.io/jam/flappyjam
B
S

Post » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:23 pm

@ stiivas
1.) although the collisions do work, there is no clear indication when you hit something, perhaps you should have a crash/damage sprite of some sorts ( in the original Flappy Bird, when you hit a wall, you die. In Moon Doge, when you hit a wall, you lose points and the feedback is a buzzing sound, not trying to make it exactly like Flappy Bird)
2.) it appears that the change in vertical velocity is too gradual, which creates the illusion of high latency (a small change there shouldn't hurt the difficulty), but perhaps this is just Firefox acting up ( we all know how difficult it is to program for all browsers)
3.) sound skips, is distorted - most likely Firefox again (this game is supposed to have sound, right? - should have stayed with chrome :/) Yes, there is a buzzing sound if you hit the blockchain (walls), an explosion when you hit an asteroid, a Mario Bros coin sound when you collect a coin, a thruster noise when you tap the screen or click the mouse and when you get a 100 coins, a Hawaiain luau song)
4.) there is some time between clicking the link at the bottom of the screen and the link actually opening (you might want to create a pressed state or whatever)Point taken
5.) no doges (he's the pilot)

@Blinx123
Audio is definitely screwed up on Firefox.

Graphics are flawed by the very nature of your graphics. The player looks like a cutout, whereas the coins are way too pixelated (which just doesn't go well with the ways you depicted the meteors). ( I have a tendency to put put white borders around some of the stuff I draw, reminds me of the '80s arcade games)

The artificial input lag largely stems from the way you implemented physics. It's not as if the ship wouldn't react to my input right away (as can be seen from the ship's active back-burner), but it just takes a great amount of time to finally move upwards. (remember lunar lander?, I tried to mimic those physics here. It works great on Chrome/IE but I've not tested on Firefox)

It might be just me, but I prefer slightly arcadier controls. Realism is way less fun. (hmmm....not sure what arcadier means, but I think I would like it too :-)

@Asterisix
Cool site! I've registered and will upload soon. And I like the mantra on that page
have fun, be supportive. hate must not win

Thanks for all the tips guys, I'll definately look at Firefox in the future
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:35 pm

@dinofun

Arcadier = More like the fast paced shooters I used to play in arcades. Personally, I'd prefer a game that offered faster pacing and instant

As for Firefox: Aside of the audio (which suffers from a horrible latency), it looks and plays exactly the same as in Google Chrome, albeit a tad slower (Firefox is almost notorious for being incapable of handling physics).

I also ran it inside my own browser (which is based on Mozilla's codebase, but features a simplified layout and a faster rendering engine). Runs almost the same as in Google Chrome (Linux), speedwise. Even a tad faster than Chrome (Windows). The audio issues still subsist though.
B
S

Post » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:12 pm

Firefox was very jerky and hesitant. The sound played OK for me though. Another game I made, http://www.dinofun.com/rocketdoge was almost unplayable under Firefox. Very very jerky. Not sure why I quit using Firefox long ago but maybe this was why. Thanks much for your comments.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Completed Creations