Kirby Engine

0 favourites
  • 13 posts
From the Asset Store
Make your dream action platformer game effortlessly with this template!
  • https://www.scirra.com/arcade/action-ga ... ewhat-7374

... That's it. Everything should be explained on the game's page. Hopefully.

• Good project.

How many events in total?

• Wow, this is really polished. It feels very much how I remember it.

Great job!

• Nice! It def. feels Kirby-ish! Great job!

• Good project.

How many events in total?

I'm at 116 at the moment. And I still have quite the way to go... Wish me luck x)

Thank you all for the comments, it makes me feel like I still have a heart somewhere inside me

• Cool it can do slide movement already.

• Care to share the .capx even though you don't want to XDDD. I'd like to see how others are doing since I feel like my stuff is totally super messy and inefficient, so looking at your stuff might be a good learning experience

• Care to share the .capx even though you don't want to XDDD. I'd like to see how others are doing since I feel like my stuff is totally super messy and inefficient, so looking at your stuff might be a good learning experience

I'm sorry, but no. My stuff IS really messy as well. Even with Groups and groups within groups There's probably someone much better with that out there :'(

If there is something precise that you want to recreate, I can give some advice... I think so anyway.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • What I'm mostly curious about is how to prioritize animations and actions. Like how do you override the falling animation with the sucking animation for example. I have a working implementation myself, but it involves evaluation each and every combination of actions and having events for each. I'll show a sample:

This is like 5% of the whole deal.

Now I get why a lot of games stop the character while attacking.

I'm gonna simplify this a bit by using "OR" blocks now that I discovered those XD

• What I'm mostly curious about is how to prioritize animations and actions. Like how do you override the falling animation with the sucking animation for example. I have a working implementation myself, but it involves evaluation each and every combination of actions and having events for each.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/guesozuyccup7 ... e.png?dl=0

I'll try to explain as well as I can. Hopefully it's not too confusing and the image displays properly.

Everything that needs it (player hitboxes, enemy hitboxes, some objects as well) has a variable called "Action" (through Families, of course) which essentially determines its state, what it's doing : nothing special (the "" event), sucking (the "inhale" one), attacking, flying, experiencing knockback after getting hit, dying, etc...

When you're on "", your character has access to pretty much everything it can do, the platform events you see have all the animations for when you're moving, jumping, falling, etc... Among those you have the actions themselves, such as pressing W/Z to jump.

Pressing X (It's in an OR-block you can't see on my example, but you can very well put in under "") however, changes the Action variable to "Inhale", limiting what you can do/ what can happen : there are no events for a falling animation, you can't jump, etc... And I have a few "OR" Blocks off-screen that further change what's at you disposal :

-one that makes it so that, when you're on "" or flying (which is also a setting for the Action variable), among other things, you can move left and right freely, having your character turn around accordingly, etc...

-and another one that's for every attacking actions ("Inhale" being one them) that makes it so that you can only move in midair, and can't turn around at all. If you've played a Castlevania game post Symphony of the Night, that's exactly how it works.

Letting go of X will turn "Inhale" into "Inhale_Stop", under which I have an event that will revert Action back to "" as soon as the sprite's "Inhale_Stop" animation is done, letting you move and act again.

One last thing. You can REALLY go nuts with that method, for instance : In the "On X pressed" event, you can call a function and give it a parameter that checks whether you have an ability or not, to determine which attack to perform.

Finally, remember that you can use expressions when using "Set animation" :

-Kirby's hitbox (J1_PB) has another variable called State (which can be set to"Normal" or "Big" when you have something in your mouth)

-Its sprite (J1_Kirby) has two standing animations : "Normal_Idle" and "Big_Idle"

So, when Action is "" and you're not moving, the event can be : J1_Kirby - Set animation to J1PB.State&"_Idle"

Anything that needs better explanation? Anything else iin general?

• Geez. I'd just use sub-events and a boolean ^^;

+Kirby inhaling is false
    [ul]
    	[li]Insert basic animations in sub-events[/li]
    [/ul]
    +Kirby inhaling is true
    -play inhaling animation
      +button is released
      -set inhaling to false[/code:q5d2kl3q]
    etc. etc.

This way the basic animations / mechanics are only in effect if a set of bools are false. If one is true an exception is made and new animations & mechanics take over.
    But whatever, there's probably a dozen different ways to handle this stuff!

Anyway, looks like a solid Kirby engine so far. Only things I'd suggest are lowering Kirby's acc/dec, and dividing his Y vector instead of setting it to 0 when releasing jump (will make it more floaty). Depends on how close you want to be to the original games though. He's actually much easier to control here haha.
  • lowering Kirby's acc/dec, and dividing his Y vector instead of setting it to 0 when releasing jump (will make it more floaty). Depends on how close you want to be to the original games though. He's actually much easier to control here haha.

Thank you I'll probably don't touch the "set Y vector to 0" because I kind of like it that way x), and I'm a bit afraid it might be possible to abuse a non-zero y-vector in that case (by releasing the jump button at the very top of your jump for extra height), unless that issue isn't there if it's low enough while still succeeding in the floatiness department. Granted, Kirby can fly indefinitely, but I think I'll put a limit to that, seeing how much of the games that ability can trivialize.

But what did you mean by lowering the Acceleration/Deceleration exactly?

• But what did you mean by lowering the Acceleration/Deceleration exactly?

Well in the original game his acceleration and deceleration are a bit lower - it takes him a tiny bit to start running at full speed, and he "slides" a bit after stopping. In your engine he starts walking at max speed and stops instantly. But again, it's all about how close to the original you're trying to get.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)