Kodu From Microsoft

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:33 pm

Has anyone seen the Kodu Program from Microsoft yet?.It's basically a learning tool on how to program games.You can also create your own 3d worlds with it.It runs on top of Xna studio 3.1 and you can create xbox360 games with it quite easily.Ive downloaded it and my kids love it.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:44 pm

Yes, and there have been a couple of threads about it already ;). Here's a link, check it out bro!
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:33 am

Lol yes i can see that.But comparing Construct with Kodu lmao.Kodu is a learning tool for kids and it's got 3d environments,Construct is a full on programming tool for 2d games.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:15 am

AFAIK you don't need to know coding to use Construct, with programming I think of programs like C++, Blitz, DarkBasic and the such, with Construct you just use events to make an object do something.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:19 am

Python means programming if im not mistaken.And the event's mean that you program the sprite what to do ,It's just cleverly disguised.For instance sprite.X+25 looks alot like the C# and C++ language but it's just alot more simplified for the end user.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:33 pm

Python IS programming but events are not, to me programming means when you have to write a block of codes, scripting could be programming to a certain extent but writing X+25 for events and such is just small tiny bit of coding, nothing compared to real programming that I am yet unable to grasp.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:49 pm

Indeed you are right my friend.Coding can be a daunting task.But once you get used to all the scripting ,Compiling jargon then the rewards that you get from that can be great.I have created many applications using C++ and C#.Apps with c++ and c# are still quite difficult to master ,And creating games with that can be a total nightmare.

That is why there are such great programs like Construct etc...But Some say that if you use a program like Construct or any other Click and Create program that you are not truly a games developer.But when they say this About Construct i can say with pride "ah but CS uses the python language therefore it's not a Click and Create program".So with CS you can have the best of both worlds.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:43 pm

[quote="LavaWave":35nko1b0]Python IS programming but events are not, to me programming means when you have to write a block of codes, scripting could be programming to a certain extent but writing X+25 for events and such is just small tiny bit of coding, nothing compared to real programming that I am yet unable to grasp.[/quote:35nko1b0]

I think Construct is: programming with events, without traditional coding (although it is possible).

1 example of a possible definition of Programming:
scheduling: setting an order and time for planned events
creating a sequence of instructions to enable the computer to do something
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

It doesn't really matter though. It's only definition...
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:46 pm

[quote="DravenX":2xkkuwrf]... the event's mean that you program the sprite what to do ,It's just cleverly disguised.For instance sprite.X+25 looks alot like the C# and C++ language but it's just alot more simplified for the end user.[/quote:2xkkuwrf]

Programming means having to learn syntax and structure. With things like Construct and MMF and such you don't have to, all of the options are available at a click and the structure is built for you automatically. The only thing you need is an understanding of basic logic and math.

[quote="DravenX":2xkkuwrf]... Some say that if you use a program like Construct or any other Click and Create program that you are not truly a games developer.[/quote:2xkkuwrf]

And those people would be wrong. The only criteria you need to satisfy in being a game developer is to create a game.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:22 pm

"And those people would be wrong. The only criteria you need to satisfy in being a game developer is to create a game."

I like what you said deadeye and you are absolutely right , I just hate it when some ignorant programmers tell me that im not really a games dev because i use programs like Construct to create games.Maybe they are just jealous because they could never write such a brilliant piece of software like Construct.
B
S
G

Next

Return to Open Topic