Kolumbo! Treasure hunting and action with random levels.

Post your Construct-made creations!

Post » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:17 pm

At first i thought " *sigh* another ghost shooter clone...". When i started playing i was impressed however. You guys took ghost shooter and turned it into 'random dungeon shooter with a polished feel'. Everything about it is good; the sounds, the way shooting feels, the names of the treasures etc. Great work. I think i'm gonna go play it a bit more..
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:18 am

I am really glad that you posted lots of info and screen shots. I agree with GMG, most people don't do that. Good work, I enjoyed the game.
B
G

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:54 am

[quote="Hemlock":1inn0vma]I am really glad that you posted lots of info and screen shots. I agree with GMG, most people don't do that.[/quote:1inn0vma]

Thirded. I'd like to see more of this.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:48 am

Wow!

You should add this to construct corner and I'll post a review.
B
G

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:14 am

Nice to see so much positive response! We (the other guy being Riteksi a few posts above, welcome to the forums) sure worked hard on this.

The game definitely draws some inspiration from roguelikes, including that you are supposed to die a lot. The original plan included things like dropping less valuable treasure in favor of better loot, but right now you just grab everything. Having random elements was an absolute must because I wanted to make a game I myself could play without knowing what's behind every corner.

The level generation (as are a couple other things) is done with C++, and is based on Jamis Buck's D&D dungeon generator. It's probably not flexible enough for every project, but I might put up the plugin+source in case someone wants to dig into it.

There's also a Crimsonland-style minigame there. It's not very well hidden, but apparently no one has noticed it. I used to play it whenever I got frustrated with Construct or something :)

I'll make a 1.5 release with fixes and more feature sometime in the near future and post it to at least Construct Corner.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:32 pm

[quote="Luomu":jvlwy7na] There's also a Crimsonland-style minigame there. It's not very well hidden, but apparently no one has noticed it. I used to play it whenever I got frustrated with Construct or something :)[/quote:jvlwy7na]

I think it's easier to trigger on debug mode than to stumble upon said minigame, and I'm pretty sure it's supposed to go the other way 'round. Huh. :|
B
G

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:23 pm

Very nice game :D, very fun and original, I just think you shouldn't make it random :|, the game as great potencial tough.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:06 pm

[quote="Luomu":3h748yfi]There's also a Crimsonland-style minigame there. It's not very well hidden, but apparently no one has noticed it. I used to play it whenever I got frustrated with Construct or something :)[/quote:3h748yfi]

Yes, I've played it... Doppel discovered it the other day and told folks in chat. I just assumed someone else would post about it :P. It's fun, but hard... I still like the main game better.

Anyway, I really think you should post your plugin! I'm sure someone will find it useful :)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:14 pm

For some reason, the constrols are lagging so badly that the game is unplayable. This has happened to me earlier, when playing games with unlimited framerate. Is this game using unlimited rate of capped?

I wonder what's the cause for this is... It's so irritating. (Side note: games made with MMF2 lags similary :o)

Problem solved - killing almost all non-system background processes helped alot. I wonder if my computer is becoming too old :<
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:01 am

[quote="Luomu":15zt87y5]NThe level generation (as are a couple other things) is done with C++, and is based on Jamis Buck's D&D dungeon generator. It's probably not flexible enough for every project, but I might put up the plugin+source in case someone wants to dig into it.[/quote:15zt87y5]

Me wants!
how could we do flexible level generation? events is probably too much hassle, I had considered python but that's not working for me right now.

I dig games with some randomization to spice things up.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Your Creations