Landscape/portrait-switching turns screen blank

0 favourites
  • 14 posts
From the Asset Store
An educational game for Fill in the Blanks. An easy to use template for developers to build larger games
  • Hello,

I've started building a project and noticed that whenever I switch between landscape and portrait on any of my iDevices, the screen more often than not turns pitch black.

I've tested this on an iPad 2, iPhone 4S and iPhone 3GS, and in all cases rotating the screen causes the screen to go black.

Is this a well-known error? Is there something I can do to keep this from happening?

Also, as a side note, is there any way to prevent the game from going portrait in the first place?

Thanks.

• Looks like a Safari bug. I've added a hack to work around it and fix it, hopefully it will work in the next build.

• Sort of related, but I've also noticed that letterbox mode doesn't really work on mobile devices.

• r92 just went out and has a related fix, is that any better?

• Thanks for the update Ashley.

I tested the fix on both an iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4S.

On the 3GS I rotated the screen before the HTML5 loader was finished, which once again prompted the glitch to appear. If I however waited for it to load in portrait mode, the fix worked perfectly fine.

On the 4S I didn't get a HTML5 loader as the app loaded instantly, and in this case the glitch appeared regarldess of whether or not I waited for a bit in portrait mode before I started rotating it.

Hope this helps.

• bolosaur - we use offline caching to allow games to load offline. This means if you visit the same URL you visited previously, even if you updated the files on the server it will not update unless you refresh the page another two or three times. So you're probably still seeing the old version of the game. Does re-refreshing fix it?

• I did not see this problem anymore with r92 on the iPhone 4.

• Sorry Ashley, I managed to remove an important line from my last post. :)

What I meant to say was that your fix worked in the iOS browsers, but when I saved the pages to my home screen the above mentioned bugs occured.

Are you getting this as well?

• I know you guys are really busy, but I want to give this a bump in case it's a bug that needs to be fixed.

• Still getting the black screen when rotating the iPad.. just curious if this is this a fixable thing?

• Last I looked at this I could reproduce the problem and successfully fixed it in r92. Are you using the latest version of iOS? Does it even do it with an empty project?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I get this problem with R99 and R100. If I take my very basic app, rotate it a few times, I then get a black blank screen, and have to reload.

I can reproduce on ipad2 and iphone4

It happens after 2 or three switches of orientation.

My app uses scale with letter box, and just diplays some sprites. I made a blank project with nothing but a backgroud image, and get the same problem.

This is pretty serious.

• I'm able to reproduce on my ipad 2 with R103.

• I'm still getting this problem and it's preventing me from progressing with my game. This is a huge problem for me and I don't feel like constantly remaking my project in an attempt to remedy it.

Can something be done to fix this?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)