Late in life indie game developers, Talk to me.

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:49 pm

I'm 30 myself. I'm in college now. I started later in life. If it's a passion, keep at it. It's easy to become disenchanted this late in life because of how young many of the members in the industry are and the rate at which games come out. It seems like it should be so much easier than it is. The talent out there is amazing. Keep at it though. Maybe we should start a community for older, newbie game devs.
Kurieus
Come visit and play Blast Box!
B
15
S
3
Posts: 205
Reputation: 1,349

Post » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:25 pm

I'm 31 old now, and simple accomplished all my tasks in career, so, decided learn Construct 2 (since the first public release) and now I'm doing games as my hobby, also, learning manga, Comics and other types of 9th Arts.

I can say with property, if you make games as you eat when you're alone in a isolated island for two weeks and find a banquet, you're safe, otherwise, don't try to live from games, specially these days, where games with good content are selling less than crap games.. But it's a talk for another time.
Image
B
108
S
24
G
18
Posts: 1,375
Reputation: 22,828

Post » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:16 am

Ok so I'm in this category... wrote my first games 32 years ago in 16kb.. still have the passion :)

Currently working on random stuff, hoping to build enough skills to put out a quality game.

Better on the coding side than the ideas/art/marketing side.

Talk to me people :D

PS: JJEvil your game looks great.
B
24
S
9
G
4
Posts: 1,646
Reputation: 6,596

Post » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:00 am

mepis wrote:I'm 30 myself. I'm in college now. I started later in life. If it's a passion, keep at it. It's easy to become disenchanted this late in life because of how young many of the members in the industry are and the rate at which games come out. It seems like it should be so much easier than it is. The talent out there is amazing. Keep at it though. Maybe we should start a community for older, newbie game devs.


The Golden Age club, lol. In all seriousness, I would be interested in discussing projects with others like me. And I have been looking for a way to find a solid collaborator for a while now. Might be worth putting together.
B
15
S
2
G
2
Posts: 96
Reputation: 1,123

Post » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:05 am

codah wrote:Ok so I'm in this category... wrote my first games 32 years ago in 16kb.. still have the passion :)

Currently working on random stuff, hoping to build enough skills to put out a quality game.

Better on the coding side than the ideas/art/marketing side.

Talk to me people :D

PS: JJEvil your game looks great.


Thanks. I'm just the opposite. I am a designer to the core, but I think logically enough to wrestle the code into doing what I want. I am going to have to find a collaborator at some point so I can focus on the design work. Thoug my full focus is not yet on design, you should check out the new screenshot post I just put up, it's getting better every day.
B
15
S
2
G
2
Posts: 96
Reputation: 1,123

Post » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:08 am

TELLES0808 wrote:I'm 31 old now, and simple accomplished all my tasks in career, so, decided learn Construct 2 (since the first public release) and now I'm doing games as my hobby, also, learning manga, Comics and other types of 9th Arts.

I can say with property, if you make games as you eat when you're alone in a isolated island for two weeks and find a banquet, you're safe, otherwise, don't try to live from games, specially these days, where games with good content are selling less than crap games.. But it's a talk for another time.


I know. I decided to make the game I wanted rather than a game I know can sell. I'm putting my heart and soul into it. It's my first actual game.
B
15
S
2
G
2
Posts: 96
Reputation: 1,123

Post » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:20 am

Hi! 32 year old Swede, work as a systems developer which I enjoy, but developing games is my passion. I've been developing games in my spare time the last 7 years, but the last 2 years I've been investing more time in game development.

I'm focused on mobile game development and I've released a couple of games for android and iOS. I have a ton to learn but I figured I'd gather enough knowledge about C2 to build a bigger project som right now I'm working on a really fun project that I'm hoping to release X-mas 2014.

I'm looking for people to work with a specially on the art side. So far I've made the art for my game myself (or used free resources), but I'm just not good enough to create art at the level I want.

If anyone is interested send me a PM as a start and we'll see where it leads. Here are a few screen shots of the game I'm working on right now.
Image
Image
Image
B
39
S
9
G
4
Posts: 163
Reputation: 6,521

Post » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:05 pm

I'm 36 myself and been programming on and off for most of my life - I think my first programme was written in BASIC and copied from a MAD magazine onto a Commodore 64 when I was like 6 or 7.

I stumbled into an indie game job about 5 years ago after doing some hobbyist game stuff in my spare time, but it has only really paid off in the past year or so.

I'm getting paid much less than now I was before I got into game development, but it's enough to get by on and a much more enjoyable job even if it is mostly making someone else's game idea become reality.
Find all the Construct 2 games that were on Steam Greenlight here
B
36
S
10
G
7
Posts: 475
Reputation: 7,015

Post » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:35 pm

OddConfection wrote:I'm 36 myself and been programming on and off for most of my life - I think my first programme was written in BASIC and copied from a MAD magazine onto a Commodore 64 when I was like 6 or 7.

I stumbled into an indie game job about 5 years ago after doing some hobbyist game stuff in my spare time, but it has only really paid off in the past year or so.

I'm getting paid much less than now I was before I got into game development, but it's enough to get by on and a much more enjoyable job even if it is mostly making someone else's game idea become reality.



I am actually 37 myself. You must have grown up in a nicer place than I did. Our elementary school had like 1 computer for everybody to share. I didn't get to mess with BASIC until 1993. High school computer class. I wrote a few cheesy games with it. A text game, a wrestling game where you entered your wrestler and opponent stats, move names, and finisher. It would mathematically mad lib a match for you and determine the winner with the stats and some random variables. I then wanted to do something graphical, so I created an adventure game where you played as a blob, because circles and squares were easy to draw on screen. The character was a circle with two square eyes.

It wasn't long after that, I quit programming altogether. I always wanted to design video games. I had since I was a little kid. I went to college, and the computer course lineup seemed like it had been designed to keep certain people out. Most of the computer classes were taught by a truly, freakishly brilliant professor. But computers weren't as ubiquitous as they are today. I had to take FORTRAN and COBOL before I could take C. I got As in both classes but by the time I had finished 16 weeks of that, I was pretty much done with programming. I had given up going to art school, and I had given up going to DigiPen Game Design College. I was far too poor. I was not going to give up on at least getting a college degree that I could afford. But college killed my desire to program.

However, nothing killed my desire to be a game designer. I have been a graphic designer for almost 20 years now. That's like playing your whole life in the minors. But I'm not worn out, I'm just warmed up, ready for the big leagues. I am going to make this game and people are going to have the opportunity to play it. It will be fun, clever, humorous and artful. And those thing will make it engaging.

I'm with you. If I had to do this for a job and make someone else's game, I probably wouldn't enjoy it. Making my own game means I can have fun doing it, I can do it the way I want to, and I can experiment and use mechanics that don't follow a formula. I don't care if I get rich doing this. I just want to do this.
B
15
S
2
G
2
Posts: 96
Reputation: 1,123

Post » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:25 am

@JJEvil

Yeah, I guess I was a bit more fortunate. My primary school had 3 Apple IIe computers that students could use, not that the teachers would let us use them very often since most of them struggled to even turn them on. Most of my early programming was done at home, copying things out of magazines and books onto the C64, and trying to tweak them. And I always had some sort of games system - Intellivision, Atari 2600, Sega Master System (my brother had NES), various Game & Watch games (favourite was the TableTop Snoopy game which I think I still have somewhere), and more as the years went on.

At high school, we actually had a whole classroom full of computers! I don't know whether it was fortunate or unfortunate, but the teacher who taught programming admitted he was only one lesson ahead of the students so he let me do my own thing since I was ahead of everyone else. I ended up making a Tic-Tac-Toe/Naughts&Crosses game and a few other simple games. We did a mix of BASIC, Pascal and dBaseIII+ throughout high school.

University was a bit more instructional. We did C/C++, Assembler, COBOL, Scheme and a few other languages and covered topics such as Graphics, AI and databases. Of course, most of the lecturers made it so boring, it mostly killed my desire to program.

After university, I moved more into IT support and only did the occasional programming for work or some hobbyist stuff.

Now I get to make games for a living and code in Lua, the easiest programming language I have ever come across. I mean seriously you don't even have to give variables a type!

I still make simple games as a hobby, hence Construct 2, but hopefully one day I can turn those simple hobby games into something people might buy and I can stop making other peoples games.

Anyway, good luck making your games, I hope you keep having fun with it and wish you all the best.
Find all the Construct 2 games that were on Steam Greenlight here
B
36
S
10
G
7
Posts: 475
Reputation: 7,015

PreviousNext

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests