Late in life indie game developers, Talk to me.

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:31 pm

Out of curiosity, would anyone be interested in starting some kind of group, or place to chat, for older game developers to come to? I don't mean it a replacement to such things as Scirra's forums nor other places like Gamedev.com. Just a place where older folks could come to connect with others and where they might feel a bit more of a connection on a personal level to others that 'just get' current circumstances of life?

I have been thinking it over the past couple of days and I can see a sort of support and encouragement type of forum to be a nice place. I was wondering if anyone else would be interested and use such a thing as well.

If so, what would be your ideal type of place? I ask because I pay for hosting that I don't readily use nor do I want to give up. It would be nothing at all to setup a subdomain out of the way of my current domain and put up a quick platform. Let it see how it see how it evolves and takes off from there.
Kurieus
Come visit and play Blast Box!
B
S

Post » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:54 pm

Not sure what you would call it. Synonyms for older, and indie don't go together well.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:46 pm

@ Mepis - I'm down. I could use the networking practice, and it would be nice to know a few of my indie design peers and see their projects.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:47 am

Http://www.reddit.com/r/PixelPioneers

If you build it, they will come.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:16 pm

JJEvil wrote:Http://www.reddit.com/r/PixelPioneers

If you build it, they will come.

I get that reference!! Because I'm old....
Kurieus
Come visit and play Blast Box!
B
S

Post » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:20 pm

I just posted a huge update on what I'm working on over in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=148&t=112812
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:25 pm

I have been doing art for friends games since I was about 15 and let myself believe that I was not code logic minded. After taking a stab at it around age 25 I have been chipping away at my ideal game ever since. I am now 28 and have realized that (for me) it is not about finishing my game it is about being able to create a virtual world of my own that can be interacted with. To get my instant gratification fix I make side games which involve mechanics I will later adopt into my primary project. I now enjoy just the act of working on my game and have stopped relishing in the thought of releasing it. I am developing this game for me to play, but if I do ever get it done I will make a public release. Meanwhile, wife, kids, job, house... you know how it goes. When I get overwhelmed by real life I just keep telling myself that later I will get to go to my "happy place" which is working on my game Ayternal.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:56 pm

33. I'm a programmer by trade, but I work on the web. After college I never lost the lust for game programming, but the time and the focus. Now that games can be written in javascript and there are tools like impact and construct, I can go back to developing games without the mental limbo of a different tech stack.
Developing Surolace, the survival role playing space game.

surolace-survival-role-playing-space-game_t116953
B
S

Post » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:01 am

Hope it's not too late to revive this thread. Another oldie here, 30 and back in a game dev role after a long break. The biggest hurdle for me is trying to break into communities for some support and feeling ancient around all the kids.
This thread is great, thanks!
I don't use reddit but I might have to check @JJEvil's link, see if I can get my old brain wrapped around it.
B
S

Post » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:07 am

Ok can we ban 30 year olds who call themselves 'old' please :lol: Welcome to the forum @AwesEmz and get stuck into it :)
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas