Late in life indie game developers, Talk to me.

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:01 pm

@80bit just curious, are you working on Cosmochoria full time or do you have a full time also?

I'm only 27 but having hard time balancing between my full time database consulting job and trying to finish the many projects I have started. Also my terrible ADD does not help keeping focused on projects.

I'm hoping for a nice break in a couple of my games when I finally release them to do marginally well which then I would take as a sign to maybe cut down some hours at my other job to hopefully work on more games.

Either way though, i really enjoy just trying out random things in C2 and playing around with them. I always go back and forth with just trying to force myself to learn Unity but it's such a huge investment of time and effort when I think C2 has more than enough capability to create great games.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/pudgyplatypus

Learn to make a clicker game for cheap!
https://www.scirra.com/store/games-with ... e-game-666

Try out Pixel Golf on the Scirra Arcade!
https://www.scirra.com/arcade/sports-ga ... el-golf-67

Pudgy Platypus Games website!
www.pudgyplatypus.com
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:44 am

@Djfuzion - I have been 'playing' with Construct 2 for the past couple years just sort of learning the ropes. Last november, work died down a bit so i had a week or 2 of what felt like 'free time' away from my normal freelance client work so i decided id make a "Quick Game" well after 2 weeks I was in DEEEEP and basically began blowing off client work for the next 3 months as i burned through savings.

FFWD to February of this year I was mad busted but had a very playable version of cosmochoria i started trying to get attention for, with the sole thought that i would try and build a community to help support a kickstarter that I would run in April. ffwd to april and I had some decent press behind the game thanks to the demo and art style, etc. I launched the kickstarter and shit blew up by the end of april. By that time i was doing enough contract work to get by but really struggling financially with huge bills since working on the game and the kickstarter campaign became a massive priority. (i literally put almost ALL my eggs in the basket of making it a success so spent every day for the month leading up to the campaign and every day of the campaign itself with full time hours trying to get people interested / pledging.)

Finally with the succesful kickstarter I was able to rely on the game dev for months after. Which is where im at now.. Basically ive been doing skeleton work with freelance clients just so i basically dont lose them as clients, since if the game doesnt work out, im hooped, but the kickstarter funds have relieved a huge amount of the pressure. They're starting to dry up now too though, since i did a bit of spending on extra tshirts/merch in case i got a booth at a conference or something--extra stickers / marketing materials for when i went to pax, hired out consulting for the game, etc. So now i'm back to balancing between game dev and freelance work in probably a 70/30 ratio in hopes that the early access launch at the end of the month is going to mean sales -> money -> ability to continue putting a focus on the dev. :)

I took a HUGE risk with my family's well being at the beginning of the month by backburnering almost 90% of client work so i could focus on the game / kickstarter, but it was well worth it in the end. My goal is to be almost near a final version by this november meaning i successfully started, greenlit, kickstarted and released a game within 1 year.

Thats my story! Ask me anything!
Made Cosmochoria - www.cosmochoria.com
Currently working on Slayaway Camp - www.slayawaycamp.com
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:33 pm

Mid 30s. Been a hobbyist game dev since I was a teenager and "hunt the wumpus" was still around as a viable MUD.

I've completed two games in 15 years, both when I was much younger. So I have no advice on how to complete games. I find most my enjoyment in mechanics and coding something new, but I get bored very fast the second I need to produce actual content. I'm hoping C2 helps me with that part since it's so easy to use.

Best of luck mate!
Developing Surolace, the survival role playing space game.

surolace-survival-role-playing-space-game_t116953
B
S

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:00 pm

@skelooth

I had similar trouble with actually completing a game. B.LAST will be my first full game once it's finished. I think you'll find that, once you've learned C2, it goes a long way toward getting you to the content creation stage. It won't do everything, but is a perfect tool for helping make rapid progress.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:07 pm

I've been whatching your updates here and on reddit, great job so far!

I'm still stuck in code land though, making AI and path finding routines as behavior plugins. I have any army of design docs I've written and not a one that's been seen through. The closest I came was building a full demo level of a game I wrote in impactjs, then I fizzled out.

Someone needs to invent stronger coffee that doesn't kill me.
Developing Surolace, the survival role playing space game.

surolace-survival-role-playing-space-game_t116953
B
S

Post » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:46 pm

I wrote my first "program" at age 17 on a Radio Shack TRS-80 Model I. 16K of RAM and a cassette drive. That was 1982 so I bet I'm truly the code geezer here :-D I do work in this field (not game dev) as an IT Consultant and I love my job. I've studying software and programming languages and practices and building web and desktop apps nearly every day for 30+ years. I never, ever get tired of it. Next to my family, this is my passion in life and why I get up every morning :-)

With that said, I'm very psyched to learn this C2 "GUI" tool and different style of coding. Perhaps now, with a couple of good friends helping, I may finally finish and publish a game! ;-) I'm really looking forward to learning a lot from you guys here in the forums.
B
S

Post » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:08 pm

@locohost

Welcome to the world of Construct 2. I've found it to be quite robust and powerful. Are you currently involved with a project, or just learning?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:50 pm

locohost wrote:I wrote my first "program" at age 17 on a Radio Shack TRS-80 Model I. 16K of RAM and a cassette drive. That was 1982 so I bet I'm truly the code geezer here :-).

Think again😁 I beat that (just). exact same pc though
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:56 pm

JJEvil wrote:@locohost

Welcome to the world of Construct 2. I've found it to be quite robust and powerful. Are you currently involved with a project, or just learning?

Working on a game idea with a couple friends :-) Still working on how to break up the project files for team dev.
Last edited by locohost on Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
B
S

Post » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:58 pm

codah wrote:
locohost wrote:I wrote my first "program" at age 17 on a Radio Shack TRS-80 Model I. 16K of RAM and a cassette drive. That was 1982 so I bet I'm truly the code geezer here :-).

Think again😁 I beat that (just). exact same pc though

Ok, ok so I'm not the code geezer, but for the moment I'm top two with codah ;-)

I was a junior in HS in '82. How'bout you coda? :-)
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas