Late in life indie game developers, Talk to me.

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:05 pm

Hi guys,

Great thread, I enjoyed reading about everybodys various experiances.

I'm 34, I've always been into games since being little with my Atari / C16 , I have always wanted to make games but never had a clue really and never got around to learning.

After doing various crappy jobs after I left school until I was about 27 I decided it was time to put all my effort into something I loved and try and make a go of that before going for another Job I just didn't want to do with my life.

After reading the best way to learn (without going to college etc) , I was told by most to learn something else first like PHP for web design just to get the basics for coding, so thats what I did and gave up all my time just reading and learning, things actually progressed well and within the year I actually ended up as a full time Web Developer (still am)

My hunger for making games never went away mind, and I have tried using various things from XNA to Stencyl and now I'm giving CS2 a try (by far the best once I have enjoyed using to date)

I have not completed any games yet I have a few that are like 50% finished, I'm let down a lot by my lack of graphical skills and after spending hours and hours trying to do simple graphics I have decided to give up and just buy them from other people who know what they are doing :p

I'm going to spend as much time as I can around my job and family working with CS2 to make some games and hopefully make one that people enjoy playing.

My skype is alan_neller for anybody interested.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:29 pm

I'm 43 and a pilot in my day job. I wanted to make games and apps for mobiles but found html5 to be too slow on mobile for the type of games I wanted to make. Still, that's not what c2 is optimised for. I have a couple of c2 made apps out on android and iOS, and I really enjoy the challenges of game design while learning something that I can also do with my kids (important - because this is an obsession more than a hobby...). I'm working on something that I hope to sell on Desura in a few months - we'll see if I can keep my focus or if any new and juicy c2 updates distract my progress... My lessons have all been to do with setting a clear focus of what to try and achieve and to avoid spending hours just creatively tinkering....
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:09 am

[quote="OddConfection"][/quote]
@OddConfection

Hiee... I am developing a game using Construct 2... But I'm facing some issues....
The game I am trying to develop is a online tic tac toe which is a with vs CPU and also online multiplayer game...
If you can help me please please reply me soon so that we can have a discussion on it...
B

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:52 pm

34 years old, I've been working with construct for the last 2.5 years and I made some small games that I posted on Google Play, Also working as a freelancer from time to time. For the last 15 years wanted to learn how to code for a living, but did not get very far. As I get older I regret spending my early years in life not learning to code. Now , not that the learning seems more difficult but I get a strange feeling that time passes twice as fast and I can only accomplish half the things I would have accomplished 10 years ago.
I had try so many things in my life (classical music, electronics, tried programming - and still trying, electronics, graphics, digital sculpting) and now I'm on the game developing phase. It must be something wrong with me. It started as a passion, but got frustrated lately since I was dreaming of making some money out if gaming.... but got to keep trying.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:00 am

Im 32... I was into coding Visual Basic when I was a teenager, with big plans to be a game developer. But then I turned 16 and got my drivers license and started chasing girls, Those plans quickly faded. But now that I got allot of my crazy years behind me Im ready to dive back in full force. Even though I lost allot of years I could have been coding, I grew up fast and learned allot about life, and hopefully can now use that knowledge to help create some great interactive experiences.
B
S

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:13 pm

32 here. Just got in to game dev in the past year (and got in to C2 in the past couple of months!).

If I was in my early-20's right now, I think I still wouldn't be able to do the work that I do currently. I just didn't have any determination or ambition then. Was more interested in hanging with friends and socializing. Around my mid-20's I switched careers and realized that if you work hard and smart enough, and have just a bit of talent, that you can accomplish shit. Will it be great or amazing? Maybe. But if it isn't, you at least finished something which most people can't even do.

So I'm totally cool with being in my 30's and getting in to game dev. I know how to block time to work. I know how to manage large projects and finish them. I know how to work through "the wall" of any project. These are skills I've picked up over the years in doing multiple creative efforts.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:51 pm

I'm 29 and just getting to grips with Construct 2. I've played games my whole life and I've always wanted to make my own. Recently, it's been a stronger feeling since a lot of games coming out nowadays just aren't the kind of games I enjoy, so I figured the best solution was to make my own!

I've been using a scheduling book to plan out my days to balance work, family, and game design, and setting small goals for myself every day and week, I'm not sure I would have been able to do this earlier in my life, because like I'm sure a lot of you experienced, it was hard to stick to a project without getting frustrated or bored. I'm older now, and being a father and a husband has really helped me learn how to manage my time. Having kids has also reminded me to keep an open mind about design and what could be considered 'fun', which helps me stay creative and not feel stuck in a rut or banging my head against a wall.
B

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:21 pm

I'm 30 and just found out about Construct 2. I'm a full-time freelance web developer by day who has always dreamt of making games. If C2 had been around when I was in High School, I probably wouldn't have graduated because I would have just been playing with it all the time.

I've come up with so many ideas over the last few years when I didn't think it would be possible to make m own games that now I'm trying to figure out what to focus on for my first game. I have a ton of artist friends and I'm hoping to tap into their talent and make something decent. This community has been a big help, there are so many good resources here!
B

Post » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:52 am

JJEvil wrote:I'm pushing forty and finally getting around to doing this thing that I've wanted to do for a long time now. I grew up on the classics, but didn't have the opportunity to go into game design when I was younger. I'm interested in swapping info and advice with others like me. There have been plenty of challenges starting this late in the game, but I face each one confident that I will prevail and finish my game. What sorts of challenges have you faced? What sort of projects are you working on?

Oh I wish i could see 40 again :D I am 51 and just taken up game development. I have been doing android app reskinning for the last few years and decided that I wanted to create a game myself. So I found construct 2. If you think pushing 40 throws up challenges then a few years more, and the challenges are slightly bigger :lol:
B
S

Post » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:12 pm

At 35 i don't really feel late in the game, but kind of see it as my previous experiences and work led me to this point. My first job was as a 3D artist for a small indie studio, then i did a little bit of this and that in graphic design. In my late 20's i ended up at EA DICE as a UI artist, after that i was off to start a company doing web development, TV commercials, prints, and all kind of media stuff. Currently working for an iGaming company and messing around with my construct project on my spare time.

So from start to finish i gather a lot of knowledge from different industries and learned a lot of skills. Working on AAA titles like Battlefield: Bad company gave me a lot of insight in to the bigger companies and how they work and market their games, and what to aim for in terms of quality.

If i started this journey earlier i don't think i would have gathered enough knowledge to embark on creating my own games. I'm sure being a gamer can give you a lot of insight into what's good or not, but without any experience in the industry / or similar i think it would be harder to get started and actually making something commercially viable, if your plan is to make a living of games.

I havn't even finished my first game yet, but getting there. But hopefully my previous experiences gave me enough skills to make something really good and enjoyable, market the right way, and eventually make a living from.
Follow my progress on Twitter
or in this thread Archer Devlog
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas