Layer Rotate and Collision

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:55 pm

[QUOTE=Yann]
And, using that kind of argument isn't really open minded.
[/QUOTE]

Open Minded? ...I do not understand, what you mean and what "open minded" has to do with this....

BTW: I never had to learn the sin/cos/tan stuf, because I changed schools to "avoid" it
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:13 pm

open-minded: "oh it's math, yeah I'm not good with math but let's try understanding it... Maybe I will fail but that won't hurt"

close-minded: "no programming required don't need that kind of weird stuff"

It's just that the same mind who can doesn't understand something can either try or reject it. That's what I meant. And what you said is more on the "reject" side.

And be happy, you're not in school anymore, now you can learn usefull math.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:19 pm

Ok...so I now guess it was nothing personal.

Actually I learned that kind of stuff during college/univercity, but have forgotten it in the last 20 years since I did not have to use it...

AND I bought myself a very smart book, to keep up with you...I only have to read it
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:52 pm

[QUOTE=Yann]... So if I might suggest something it would be "Every game must make of use or mimic the system 'Rotate layer' or 'Rotate layout' actions. ..."[/QUOTE]
Sorry - I can't agree. I appreciate your argument, Yann, but (speaking for myself) one of the brain-straining challenges of the competition has been to manipulate the 'Rotate layer' / 'Rotate layout' actions to get control over the (apparent) center of rotation. Yes, it can be done. Wait for my (last-minute) entry.

[QUOTE=Yann]... But I would also add that changing a core rule one week before the end might not be fair to some people (:[/QUOTE]
Agreed - for the above reason! Velojet2012-02-22 19:55:33
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:18 pm

@Velojet
I agree with your disagreement :D The brain-straining challenges IS indeed to find a way to make good use of that feature. Unfortunately that would mean that people should already have known all the quirk when the contest started (collision not following).
As it wasn't documented, as far as I know, people started to design games thinking collision would follow, thus falling into bad programming design to keep on using layer rotation AND trigo, where trigo alone would have been better.

My suggestion was just a way to reframe onzephyr's proposition (: so that no one would be harmed by a potential change.

I think my entry makes also good use of layout rotation even if it's not the core mechanic =)

In my thinkings, I thought that there could only be 3 ways of rotating the POV of a game. 3 ways 'cause 3 possible axis.
X, the side axis, Y the height axis and Z the depth axis, all three aligned with your character of course.
- the X axis, as a side view: I thought about rotating things with gravity, also some cool pitching movements as if you were on a boat so making a pirate platformer or something like that :D
- the Y axis, as a top view: maybe some car racing game would have worked well
- the Z axis, that was my choice 'cause I was sure it would be the less used of the three. Rotating along the depth axis. a Rolling movement. That's how I came up with this maze Idea. But I saw some game with the same POV. I think some good stuff will appear before the deadline :D
Yann2012-02-22 20:21:34
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:33 am

@Yann
Thanks for your further thoughts.

Admittedly, my need was different from onzephyr's - as I mentioned, it's the (apparent) center of rotation that I want to move. If that means the same as the POV you refer to, then my layout motion is along the X axis (without the pitching movement - that's a nice idea).

Rolling it along the Z axis is an even cooler idea! I'm really looking forward to playing your game (when I get time after finishing mine!).Velojet2012-02-26 03:34:09
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:29 pm

[QUOTE=Weishaupt] Ok...so I now guess it was nothing personal.

Actually I learned that kind of stuff during college/univercity, but have forgotten it in the last 20 years since I did not have to use it...

AND I bought myself a very smart book, to keep up with you...I only have to read it [/QUOTE]

I was sick for a few months in high school when they were teaching trig and I never got back to it. And I've also avoided it!

My only use of math in 30 years of programming has been boolean algebra and even that seems less useful these days.

You said in a later post in the same thread that you got a magic book so you can keep up. What was it? Anyone want to help me learn trig?
Check out my HTML5 Firefox OS Game Programming and Game Playing blog at http://firefoxosgaming.blogspot.com/ and my book on Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IZUYIGO. I wrote a newer post on using Construct for Firefox OS at http://firefoxosgaming.blogspot.com/201 ... -game.html.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:50 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_circle
That's the only trig concept I use.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:17 am

[QUOTE=Yann] Indeed, I saw many people using layer rotation instead of a simple
[code]set X to centerX + cos(angle) * distance(cx,cy,sprite.x,sprite.y)
set Y to centerY + sin(angle) * distance(cx,cy,sprite.x,sprite.y)[/code]
[/QUOTE]

Is it possible to post a capx with this code? It sounds like it is exactly what I am looking for but am having trouble figuring out how to enter the arguments/logic.
B

Previous

Return to How do I....?