Layered Interactive Music (demo)

Show us your completed creations made in Construct 2

Post » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:52 pm

C-7 wrote: I really like to re-sync tracks when they've got silent/quiet to ensure no one hears a blip and then I just re-sync by a comparison (if one track is greater than 5ms in either way away from the master track, seek to it).

Have you done this with tracks that were playing? I'd imagine the player would hear something so it's better to do while they are silent.

perhaps you can always resync without any checks? since it takes Chrome about 3 loop iterations to go out of sync, you could just always resync after the loop? the problem would be if you heard it.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:02 pm

Beautiful. Nice graphics too.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:55 pm

Thanks!

@jobel ideally you would only sync silent tracks (in my own game, I do it immediately prior to a track fading in), but if the tracks get to far out of sync when audible, the player would hear something anyways.

The best way I've found around this is to do a bunch if small clips (usually measures or passages) cued with a timer. I do this method most often now, but the fading once is so both viable and interesting.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:43 am

C-7 wrote:The best way I've found around this is to do a bunch if small clips (usually measures or passages) cued with a timer.

that's interesting, and do you cue these passages or measures together in a playlist so they play after one another? I'm actually experimenting with this for another reason entirely.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:29 am

jobel wrote:
C-7 wrote:The best way I've found around this is to do a bunch if small clips (usually measures or passages) cued with a timer.

that's interesting, and do you cue these passages or measures together in a playlist so they play after one another? I'm actually experimenting with this for another reason entirely.

More or less, yeah. Don't worry about trying to play them at the end of the last audio clip--that would never work and would sound bad. Instead, export each measure or whatever you're using individually but don't cut off the decay at the end of the audio. In other words, let the last note or whatever you have ring out. Then start each new clip accurately time-wise while the other one's decay continues through like it would in real life and you have seamless, cued music. You can interject at any point and change which measure comes next. At the very least, I randomize the order of segments so that the music isn't as repetitive. But you can also have the music move to different sections at those break points to fit the mood or location of the player while preserving the flow of the music (ie, don't cut off crap or start things in nonsensical places). I like using transitional measures for this or simultaneously playing something like a suspended cymbal roll placed at a division of the measure to sell the transition even further.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:25 pm

C-7 wrote:Don't worry about trying to play them at the end of the last audio clip--that would never work and would sound bad. Instead, export each measure or whatever you're using individually but don't cut off the decay at the end of the audio.

ahh yes, like in RMX or REX beat slices and let them overlap. Very cool idea.. so you just have to do the math to figure out the timing of when to trigger them... (song_bpm / 60) * 4 (beats per measure). And if you are syncing them with a "master track" like you mentioned previously you'd figure out multiples of Audio.PlaybackTime("master").

if you cut up music into small enough sections (not too small) then you'd probably never have to re-sync right? Since the timer would keep everything together and the music wouldn't be technically "looping" because you'd be doing that manually...
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:46 pm

This works really well. Very cool system.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:53 pm

jobel wrote:
C-7 wrote:Don't worry about trying to play them at the end of the last audio clip--that would never work and would sound bad. Instead, export each measure or whatever you're using individually but don't cut off the decay at the end of the audio.

ahh yes, like in RMX or REX beat slices and let them overlap. Very cool idea.. so you just have to do the math to figure out the timing of when to trigger them... (song_bpm / 60) * 4 (beats per measure). And if you are syncing them with a "master track" like you mentioned previously you'd figure out multiples of Audio.PlaybackTime("master").

if you cut up music into small enough sections (not too small) then you'd probably never have to re-sync right? Since the timer would keep everything together and the music wouldn't be technically "looping" because you'd be doing that manually...

Right. No re-syncing ever if you use small chunks triggered from a timer.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Completed Creations