Layout editor suggestions

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:40 am

I've been using C2's layout editor much more since the introduction of tilemaps. It is pretty great, but I feel that it's still missing a few things. Here are some suggestions:

-'Initial State' property for effects, just like behaviors have.
-A display option for toggling the drawing of effects in the layout editor.
-A display option to show an additional grid where the size of each cel is equal to the project's window size. (An extra layer & 9patch works but this would be nicer)

And the really important ones...

-An option to make all layouts share the same layers and ribbon settings. What if you make dozens of layouts and decide to add/remove/modify a layer? You'll have to do this manually for every layout! It's also inconvenient to have to change the ribbon settings in each new layout. For a metroidvania or any game with lots of layouts this is a pretty big deal. I am uncomfortable making levels without this feature.

-Object bookmarks. This will be great for locating & keeping track of collectibles and the like.
MadFactory2013-12-26 03:40:41
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:44 am

Really? No one?
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:01 pm

[QUOTE=MadFactory]
What if you make dozens of layouts and decide to add/remove/modify a layer? You'll have to do this manually for every layout!
[/QUOTE]

this is a huge pain in the ass for big projects, and it's the main reason I started having a go at my own in game level editor -so I can save and load levels off of a single layout.
Although to be fair now I have a level editor that players can use too, and that's pretty cool.

initial state for effects would be very useful for me too
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:54 pm

agree

i think a way to customize the scroll behavior would be nice too
or a way to specify "areas" inside one layout
that way we could make "rooms" with a more direct approach (like the zelda screen change but mixed with the traditional scrolling too)

maybe the scroll to behavior could have some parameters: free scroll, horizontal scroll, vertical scroll and locked/fixed screen

then we could change the type of scrolling in each "room" based on the screen size

B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:44 pm

I agree with all of these suggestions. Specially this one:

[QUOTE=MadFactory]
-A display option for toggling the drawing of effects in the layout editor.
[/QUOTE]

B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:51 pm

@Valdarko This can be done with a "zone" object and clamp() to restrict the camera. There is a good example in the .capx tutorial section.

B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:06 pm

@MadFactory
thanks man! i was searching for this one but did't know it was called zone-camera

the only thing i have to learn is the logic behind it, i'm a plank when comes to code. i did understand the concept of how it works but those lerp and clamps i dont get it yetvaldarko2014-02-04 21:13:10
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:13 pm

The one thing that really pisses me off is the grid size bug. If you change the grid width/height and click on the layout to unselect it, it reverts back for some reason.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:56 pm

One thing I'd really want to see is ability to Copy the events as a text so that those could be easily pasted to this forum.. Making/editing/uploading/sharing screencapture-parts is just way too tedious.

Another thing would be selecting the size of the objects. I hate to squint the icons/buttons etc of this editor on 20" FullHD Screen.
Need help? Upload .capx file with your question.
B
S
G

Return to Construct 2 General