Layout Size and Big Images

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:53 pm

[quote:2ycsaadz]The core can be optimised to render only the visible stuff or so.[/quote:2ycsaadz]
this would be great in Construct seing like most of the newbies such as myself are desperatly trying to use big images.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:52 pm

Hmm how to put it in an understandable way.....

The reason why you can't drop humongous bitmaps in Construct without a huge penalty is the same reason why you can put a jillion transparent moving objects rotating and zooming at a high screen resolution and still get 60fps. Let's see RPG maker do THAT! (and oh, hi shaders!)

It's called hardware acceleration, and every image you use has to be first loaded into RAM and then transferred to the video card memory, which is limited (currently between 128 and 1024Mb TOTAL).

you will ALWAYS have to work around limitations, with ANY computer system. It's a fact of game development. Please, try to learn the tricks that are selflessly being offered.

(Btw that screenshot: half-size the background, then stretch it. Use one layout per room, load textures on layout startup. TADA!)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:36 am

I would also point out, that little cap I posted uses like .07 vram, and is (infinitely, almost) scalable.
Even less if you make the tiled sprite 2x2.
Did I mention that you can display that in 3d?
But as Madster said there are always trade offs, less vram, more gpu processing.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:32 pm

so okey ive made an experiment.
ive made two layouts with the same 1000/1000pix image.
first is the whole image second is the image sliced for 100 smaller images 100/100pix each.
results:

Big image:
Vram Target: 3.00 mb
VRAM textures: 4.06 mb
VRAM total: 7.06 mb

Big image sliced:
VRAM target 3.00 mb
VRAM textures: 6.31 mb
VRAM total: 9.31 mb

wth? O.o
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:55 pm

B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:39 pm

[quote="Tokinsom":30pun8xu]http://www.scirra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7578[/quote:30pun8xu]
aaaaaahhh....damn.
then i am screwed lol
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:27 pm

but hey, theres something just not right.
Anybody of you ever heard of Infinity Engine? it was used for Baldrus Gate saga, Icewind Dale, Planescape... for every area there was used at least one "map" image. and to be honest those images are huge. the biggest i remember was 5120/3584 pix. see for yourself: http://www.blackwyrmlair.net/~chevar/Co ... AR2800.rar
And IE engine is like a dinosour.

What my point is - Construct is not worst right? i am here not to point that Construct is worst then something. I am just saying that if others can why not to make Construct too be able to handle such features?
I mean, Construct developers are quite a birght minds right? find a way then, you can do it. You are not worst then them right?

Please dont flame/attack/troll me for wanting something whats already available for many others.

(Sidenote: yes i am sure about IE using FULL not sliced images of the map as i am a veteran modder of that engine. i dont know what "technique" the IE engines uses for handling such giant images but the bottom line is: he handles)
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:48 pm

[quote="irbis":1xw0nwbc]Construct is not worst right? i am here not to point that Construct is worst then something. I am just saying that if others can why not to make Construct too be able to handle such features?
I mean, Construct developers are quite a birght minds right? find a way then, you can do it. You are not worst then them right?[/quote:1xw0nwbc]
:roll:

It's a different engine, and was made from scratch to accommodate large images. It has different ways of loading them into memory, and the game is structured around loading these images. Construct is an all purpose 2d engine which is hardware accelerated. It doesn't support large images well. And this notion of slicing that you keep bringing up; it only matters if the large image isn't a square power of two. if you have a 2048x2048 image, then no amount of slicing is going to make it use any less resources. it only matters if you have an image which is let's say, 128x2048, in which case the gpu will treat the slices as 16 128x128 images, instead of one large 2048x2048 image. Construct isn't IE. If you want to use large images then section your levels into layouts and load the textures on layout start up, it might work. But in general, you shouldn't design your game around large texture backgrounds, it's not efficient.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:17 pm

you people really dont get the message do you...
fine, then remain as you are. after all - progress blows right...? >_>
you are just like B. Gates who once said "640K ought to be enough for anybody".

you think i enjoy bringing this over and over? you think i value my time wasting on brining up this big images issue? did you asked yourself "why this guy is so persistant?" ?

because lack of big images is what handicappes both my game and my workflow with Construct. Because THIS is the most common issue for most new non-programer users of Construct.
look around you. everybody would die for Construct having better big pictures handling, cant you see that? cant you see how many things it would solve and make easier/better?

i know that all your pro's have all the Construct mastery in you one finger - but we dont.
or maybe you just enjoy this situation? being the lone kings of the hill.
fine, but dont expect Construct become any more popular then he is now.

i like Construct. from all the engines ive researched this is the best. best - but not perfect.
its because i like Construct so much i write all this, its because i CARE.
i know that every time i make a new thread a group of users goes "Ohhhh him again...". but perhaps instead of playing the "i am so cool and ironic" role you should stop for a brief moment and think about what this guy is saying. Maybe then he will look so stupid no more.

sorry if i offended anyone or apeared to be rude but thats my thoughts, this is what i think. And if i am famous for anything - it is for voicing my opinion regardless of the circumstances (of course, in range of sanity)
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:46 pm

nobody is trying to flame/troll you, they are just trying to tell you that right now it is NOT possible to use large images at backgrounds and they are also telling the different methods/workarounds you can use to achieve that effect/whatever that is. But you are just ignoring their advice and saying that you want to use a big image in construct, if it is not possible how you can do it.

No doubt that construct devs are bright minds but they are not superhumans, they are working on construct as a hobby project. Whine/request about new features when construct goes commercial they'll be working on it full time.

Go back and read the thread again and use your mind how you can implement the ideas others have suggested. If you can't find a way then just increase the minimum specs required to play your game. :wink:
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic