Learning?

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:01 am

I cope so much better with code now. After I learned a fair amount of Torquescript events feel so limited to me, probably because it gives me a list of things I can do but because I'm implementing Torque in a game with undocumented functions, I find new things every time I make something.
Hell, I went back and redid my very first project yesterday, and actually halved its filesize.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:05 am

Lol, I came in here to ask the exact same question. I'm looking for a way to do scripting with Construct. It's much, much easier to do so with code than with events. It lets me see like 20 times as much code in one "page", rather than having to scroll several lines to find a bug.

So, yeah, I want to do a super game about killer robots, X-Com style. Anyone have any examples of scripting in Construct? I learned Lua from examples, rather than documentation, so I'd rather learn it from examples here too :P
B
G

Post » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:28 pm

Python scripting is broke.

You can do some python scripts in construct but there is no way to itterate over lists of objects. You can't access all "Objects" of a certain kind in Python.

Missing python features are:
Iterate over collections of "Objects" like:
for spr in Sprite:
do something with sprite

And if you could use python in the action part of events it would be nice to be able to access picked instances. So something like this:

for instance in Picked:
do something with that instance

----------------------------------
So python is broke. Unfortunately so are the loops in the event system. So for now I am just waiting and oberving the progress of Construct. I still think it shows much prommise.
B
G

Post » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:50 pm

Python should be fixed up better in the next release.

[quote="Xombul":2eemi2ni]Unfortunately so are the loops in the event system.[/quote:2eemi2ni]
They work fine for me and I use them all the time. Have you submitted any bugs to the tracker?
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:10 pm

Yes! next release..

I'm looking forward to integrating some ibraries with construct.. lol
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:42 pm

I've used every type of loop very recently in various engines without a hitch; I think it may be your useage :).
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:54 pm

[quote="Drew Carey":ljner97j]I cope so much better with code now. After I learned a fair amount of Torquescript events feel so limited to me, probably because it gives me a list of things I can do but because I'm implementing Torque in a game with undocumented functions, I find new things every time I make something.
Hell, I went back and redid my very first project yesterday, and actually halved its filesize.[/quote:ljner97j]

Tourque is the biggest hunk of junk Ive ever laid eyes on (at least the 3d engine is) I would COPY AND PASTE CODE from one script to another and it would not work. I close reopen Copy and paste it works fine. Ive implemented code that worked and my teacher did the Same Exact code WORD for WORD and it did not work. Tourque 3D is the single most annoying thing to work with.

And the other thing with construct is that you can mod the source code pretty easily and make plugins for it if you need something.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:21 am

[quote="youknowwho":uq1yzq88]i dont get why noobs jump to think that python is needed for something complex, they can barely do event based programming and just assume it would be easier to make a game using an even more difficult method. heck they can barely make a custom plat movement and want to make a super epic RPG, gets me so MAD!
I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to use script[/quote:uq1yzq88]
if you come from a coding background, the event system's logic is very foreign in the beginning, and it might seems like a helper system for newbs. This is especially true if you're used to something like GameMaker, where the visual way of doing things is very cumbersome, limited, and weak, and the scripting language is necessary for anything reasonably interesting
so I understand why people want to jump straight to script. I was like this in the beginning actually before I understood how powerful the event system is

that being said, python should be the last thing you learn after you understand the power of the event sheet way of doing things
if not, you're missing out on a lot of power, and ease of use

if you can understand how to make everything you're trying to do in events
and then you want to use scripting anyway, that's when you should use it
I recommend not using script, if it's because you have no idea how to do something with events.
you really can do almost anything with them
ask in help forums how to do something if you think it's difficult or impossible without script
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:46 am

Basically, event sheet system can do everything you want to make in Python. Theoretically.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:21 am

Some things (mainly algorithms and parsing) are going to be easier in Python. Otherwise there's nothing events can't do.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion