Let us create more Layers in Test Version

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Fully commented source code/event sheet & sprites to create a space shooter game
  • Why cant we create more Layers in Free / Test Version?Give us please at least 5 or 8 layers for testing. At this moment we can only create 2 layers, just dont get it what the point in this limitation. Thanks.

• We'll be adding more in the Newgrounds Gamejam.

• Ashley, the gamejam sounds great, but right now I can't even complete the "Beginner's Guide"... i've got my background and main layers, but can't create the HUD. I'm a high school teacher, my students have Chromebooks, and i hoped to help them through the Beginner's Guide. How about upping the limit to 3 layers? Nothing dramatic, but enough to add a way to display the score? Thanks for the consideration!

• Ashley, the gamejam sounds great, but right now I can't even complete the "Beginner's Guide"... i've got my background and main layers, but can't create the HUD. I'm a high school teacher, my students have Chromebooks, and i hoped to help them through the Beginner's Guide. How about upping the limit to 3 layers? Nothing dramatic, but enough to add a way to display the score? Thanks for the consideration!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in that tutorial isn't one of the layers just for the TiledBackground object?

You could move the TiledBackground to the other layer where the play takes place and move it to the bottom of the layer, freeing up a layer to use for the HUD

That would at least allow you to finish the tutorial and is a good lesson in adapting to the limitations of the tools you're using.

Always a risk to start teaching things with an app that is still in Beta...

• I'm planning to transfer all my C2 lessons to C3, and now the layer limit blocks me to move on. I hope all the free-version limitations for C3 would be equal/less than C2.

• Same the layer limitations on the free version is a bit dissaponting

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • It needs more of everything. At least during this beta period, so that you have potentially more people reporting bugs, so that the burden isn't on the paid users doing all the bug reporting work.

• Everyone always wants the limits higher, so they can avoid buying it for longer. I'm afraid it doesn't really make business sense to encourage that.

We did open up the full tool during the Newgrounds jam to help iron out a lot of bugs, and it was very successful at that. C3 is already a lot more stable by now.

• I'm sorry to say that NewGround Jam period is too short for a semester, and too early for the semester after summer vacation. Since you put the words so firmly like, me and my colleagues can see Scirra's determination clearly. We are sorry to say that we won't invest on C3 education programs, and we will help our customer schools to migrate to other 2D engines in order to avoid the termination of C2.

• I'm sorry to say that NewGround Jam period is too short for a semester, and too early for the semester after summer vacation. Since you put the words so firmly like, me and my colleagues can see Scirra's determination clearly. We are sorry to say that we won't invest on C3 education programs, and we will help our customer schools to migrate to other 2D engines in order to avoid the termination of C2.

Older engines never had layers. They are just a convenience.

You can make 1000s of layers on one layer using the engine z stacking or even have your own dynamic z sorting in 2 events ....but I suppose you prefer to teach your students defeatism instead of ingenuity.

• You can make 1000s of layers on one layer using the engine z stacking

Well, in the free version you don't have the Z-Order bar, which makes the ordering an utter nightmare.

While I don't feel much restrained by the restriction on the number of events for my C3 introduction classes, it's almost impossible to get by with only two layers. 4 layers would be enough to create some very basic stuff, but hardly enough to create a comercial product. So this might be the sweet spot for Scirra.

My 2 cents.

• You don't need layers for simple sorting or UI. The main purpose of them is layer effects. It would be wise to teach your students how to work around the limit, it would help expand their mind and show them that's there's multiple solutions to a problem.

• I fully get that we experienced developers can hack our way around the layer limitation. However, the main purpose of our classes is to give the young students a very basic introduction into game development, not a crash course in how to circumvent artificial limits. But I won't enter into arguments about this. What is efficient for the thousands of our students might not work elsewhere. Fact is that C2 was a perfect match for *our* past courses and using it an absolute no-brainer. With C3 this is not true anymore, and *only* because of the lack of layers.

While I hope that Construct keeps being the perfect tool to hook up young people into game development without having to spend upfront, I know after three decades in the software business that nothing stays forever, and sometimes a loved one pivots into another direction. That's live. But it's always worth trying to make him stay

• Is there a reason for switching from C2 to C3 besides "It's newer" ? C2 will still work well for your courses unless you really need that cross platform support.

I agree that the 2 layer limit is arbitrary. It's just there as a trap for absolute beginners, to incentivize them to subscribe so they can create a HUD without thinking. With so many free engines these days it just feels TOO restrictive though. The "free" version of construct 3 is basically a demo, it's not usable compared to other free engines.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)