letterbox Integer Scale Problems (retro game)

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
75 arcade sound effects. A mix of classic arcade sounds; explosions, bleeps, buttons, some great bonus sounds etc.
  • Hi guys! I'd like publish my mobile game but i cant find how configure it to show my retro-style-perfect-pixel-based-game on any devices! the thing is, with integer scale some devices shows my game so small, but with another full screen or sampling obviously it shows deformed. what should i do? example:

• Thats how is is suppose you works it can only scale in integer positions I.e 1x,2x,3x

you should take a look at this https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/73/sup ... sizes#h2a3

have you tried just using letterbox Scale as that wont shouldn't deform and works just like letterbox integer scale but will scale and # like 1.2, 2.5, 3.2321 if need to fill the screen as much as it can while maintaining aspect ratio?

for the manual

Letterbox integer scale mode is identical to Letterbox scale mode, preserving the aspect ratio, but it also only zooms to an integer scale. For example it will only scale at 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x etc. and never at something like 2.5x. This is important for games using Point sampling (usually retro style) to preserve exact pixel-perfect accuracy when scaling the game. This also means black bars can appear at both the sides and top and bottom.

• Thanks for your replay.

Yes, I read the tutorial, but may I ask, how cope this problem the creators of these games. I love letterbox, but neither art displayed correctly in some non-integer scales. If someone has already made games like this, I would like some advice !, the solution would perhaps just make different resolutions for this kind of games? D:

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • :

First take a look at this. https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/998/sc ... for-mobile

Still, with pixel rounded-retro games, you have to do integer scaling, otherwise it wont work properly. There are some games like that, but they look awful.

I had a similar problem, and since the scaling does not work properly on all devices (especially macs tend not to zoom in 200% or 400%, just 100%, thus staying really small on the Screen), my advice would be to scale up your game actually to like 400%, and let it scale DOWN instead. The data stays the same size, but the zoom-issue should be solved. Of course, only, if you want to have integer scale...

• 960x640 is according to the tutorial a screen size, which fits into all other devices. So if you fill that out with 480x320 graphics, scaled up by 2x in your game preferably, to avoid the described zooming issue, you will have an output of 960x640 on 100% with least possible black bars. Thats my advice

• Thanks a lot for your reply. I'll test it, I hope resolve some problems with this! thanks guys!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)