Level Builder...

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Pixel Sprites ala ReactorCore - Builder Hardware - Large pack of sprites!
  • I wanted to make a level builder for my current game...Ive had a few ideas but I cant seem to figure out a good way to do it...

I had an Idea using inis to save the positions/size of all the objects but Im having trouble getting them to save right but other than that I don't have any Idea on how I would do it...

• Yeah I had an idea like that too, something where users could make there own maps.

Take a look at the wiki here: http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/construct/index.php?title=Image_List_Object

Then some information on ini: http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/construct/index.php?title=INI_Object

But it suggests using Array instead.

I guess starting out it would be

for each object (ordered) get x,y coords

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Well its more or less for our own use not for user created levels... our current project wont lend itself well to a create your own level style play... We also really want to do our best to stay away from the the grid style game...

• See here:

David made a non-linear level editor that will allow you to place objects wherever you want and whatever angle you want. It's a little cumbersome to create things with, and it only exports a string of numbers but those are things that can be changed. You can always translate that string of numbers into a map file. It should give you an idea at least how to go about making the editor.

• Deadeye all I have to say to you is you are quite possibly the greatest help ive ever had. thank you so much for all your help with this.

• Hey, don't thank me, thank David . He made the thing. I've never made a level editor in my life (though I plan to for a couple of future projects).

• Still anytime I ask a question you always answer it... And quick too. I would have never have found that cap and I think that is exactly what I need. Just saying thanks thats all.

• I have a question about David's Level Editor. I know how to Save/Load levels, but how do you exactly move around and view it? :S

• It's just a simple building example, there's no game engine in it.

• If you want to make your maps save into an INI file, you can use my example i made for SuperV http://www.scirra.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1721 (scroll down to the latest version of loader and editor)

Using INI style grouping and values can make 3rd party editing easier/possible, that way you can just tell people who don't like your editing program to go make their own XD

• JayJay, your example is nifty, but it'd be greater if it had the able to test the game.

• Yeah I agree I think Im going to us a combination of both examples along with my own code. Im going to use inis for saving the information but I made a very heavily modified version of davids creation example.

• JayJay, your example is nifty, but it'd be greater if it had the able to test the game.

Yeah, it does lack alot of features and ect. Thats why the only "real" part to take as an example is the loading and saving of INI file maps. The current map editing system is terrible and doesnt even save the objects Z order hopefully someday I will make an updated/better version.

Yeah I agree I think Im going to us a combination of both examples along with my own code. Im going to use inis for saving the information but I made a very heavily modified version of davids creation example.

Cool, hope it works well for ya

• A little suggestion, a "snap to grid" behavior would really be cool for that.

I'm really amazed at what Construct can do, I mean from this I see its possible to make a universal map editor that anyone could use. Heck the sprites don't even have to be "built in".

• SO I got the saving and Now I working on the loading of the objects.... i have one problem i cant set the height and width.

Here is the cap http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?fgvzmm2gmxz

I think the problem is picking the object to set the width an the height and its getting confused and not picking any of them.

Controls:

Pick an object from the select box hit new and click in the editor.

You have to click new for each new object you want to create

WASD will Shrink/Stretch the selected object.

QE will rotate the object but it wont load yet.

And i am aware that I dont have any load commands for the Height and width.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)