Level Creation with Tilesets

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
Build your own spaceship with the various components in the pack
  • Been playing around more with construct, and currently after looking at things unsure how I would go about making a level more smoothly than manually copying instances of a solid object.

Read some things and heard about a CSV plugin being able to use an array to generate the level for a tileset, but also heard arguments against using all tiles due to performance issue.

Would it be best to use a giant(depending on level size) tiled background image for all the "background" tiles and then have only the solid ones in an array to be generated?

The software I use to generate my tiles is a great one called Pyxel Edit ( pyxeledit.com ) which has options to export the tileset as a png file along with a text or XML document of their placements

Text format (no rotation/flip information as of yet, hopefully next update)

dl.dropbox.com/u/73774002/plains1%20test.txt

XML format (includes rotation/flip information)

dl.dropbox.com/u/73774002/plains1%20test.xml

(-1 means no tile placed there)

Sorry if the post is a bit long winded, so I'll just reiterate things succinctly here:

1) Performance wise: Better to use all tiles or tile-solids with a large background image?

Edit:Apparently tiled backgrounds blur when resized while sprites do not, and sprites do no blur if webGL is enabled. So I guess all tile sprites is the way to go

2) Instructions: How would I use a CSV file to make a level map ; or the XML file?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Okay tried out some things and I figure I'm doing something wrong as it's not turning out how it should.

using CSV2ARRAY plugin by Rex to make a tile array and then converting the value into the animation frame.

The image is supposed to look like this:

i.imgur.com/ofn3g.png

But it just cycles through the tiles until it gets the last one.

EDIT: Forgot to turn animation speed off. Also had to adjust array tileplacement calculations.

• Okay getting something weird now. Fixed all my previous issues so far, but CurY and CurX seem to be reversed using a CSV array. The X value has to be CurY and the Y value has to be CurX or else the level is on it's side.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)