Level editor

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:30 pm

Yeah, Tile-set support for the level editor would be great, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. Just some basic tools to build maps would be a great improvement. Not everyone would benefit from or use tilesets, or genre-specialized editors. But everyone needs to place sprites in the level somehow, so basic tools for that is top priority.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:33 pm

A good level editor imo opinion would be : You have at least three tools : Hand, Pencil and Eraser. To handle the tile part a new plugin would be created example : Tilemap, or Spritemap that is derived from sprite, but with the ability to draw only a part of it. You then could select the part from the tilemap and draw with Pencil, erase with Eraser and move with Hand. (erase with right mouse would be good too). This drawing would be snapped to a grid or free. This could be even better if the Pencil and Eraser would serve for drawing Sprites too. So it's a hybrid system , tile based and free positioning based like it is now. It's only a rough idea but could work. And it would not require a complete rewrite of the current system but would be an extension of it
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:50 pm

I sent a PM to Ash about the feasibility of an official tile map plugin, but he never replied, and I think it was probably a bad idea to PM him about that anyway.

This is what I wrote in the PM:

[quote]Though such requests have been raised multiple times, I haven't really seen you comment on it, so I might as well chat with you about it directly, if it's not too much trouble.

Tile maps are common in 2D games for fairly obvious reasons. In C2, as you've previously established, Tiled Backgrounds are more suited in most cases for level design as they're optimized to be spread out and used in large numbers. However, the problem with this, is that Tiled Backgrounds most likely won't use fine collisions like sprites will, and they can't be animated. Right now, the way it works now is perfectly fine for games with level layouts like Braid.

And hell, a Sprite/Tiled Background mix for games with more traditional 'tile' layouts can be done, since there's now a snap-to-grid, but... A common complaint is that making levels from the 'tiles' is time-consuming, even with snap-to-grid and copy-paste. Tiled Backgrounds are also highly unsuitable for non-square tiles, such as isometric tiles.

Which is why people have been asking for tile-maps, and being able to 'paint' them. Tile Maps can possibly have the same advantages as Tiled Backgrounds, with the added bonuses of being able to change the Tile-Map at runtime (destroying tiles, or replacing them with others, or adding new tiles), giving tiles certain behaviors (like Solid and Platform), assigning tiles to families for additional functionality, and perhaps having animations and fine collisions (among other things that don't come to mind, right now). It would also improve the workflow of level designers going for a tile-map style of level design. It's obviously not a replacement for Tiled Backgrounds (since Tiled Backgrounds on their own are more suitable for certain other things), however.

As a starting point, one could just be able to import tilemaps made from Tiled, which is a great program with various features, and it's proven to be able to be perfectly workable with Javascript and HTML5. I'm just saying, a Tile Map plugin could prove to be of much benefit over the long term, and improve C2 considerably.

Now, the question is, if and when do you see a Tile Map plugin being implemented in C2?[/quote]

I really, honestly think a tile map plugin would do wonders for Construct 2.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:00 pm

Yeah, sorry, I read the PM. I never got round to replying just because we're knee deep in work, endless todo lists, etc. You're basically right though, tile maps are important and we need to do them.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:27 pm

Ah, awesome, so you're saying it WILL happen at some point? That's a massive relief.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:05 pm

If you're bored you can port this to C2 ;-)
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:11 am

Another possibility could be : Tiled
The editor is already functionnal, open source and exports xml formatted files in the end.

The plugin in C2 that would have to be developped would be based on a xml parser and would recreate the structure depicted in the exported files.

Might be something to consider, right ?
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:57 am

I already suggested Tiled support, but it's good to see others recommending it.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:54 pm

I'm using Tiled for CC, I've modified ROjO's python script (added CSV format parsing and automatic objects properties\variables adjustment), only thing I don't like in Tiled is not so handy objects managment, hope they'll add something like objects pallete soon.
But I don't know if C2 allows you use javascript like python in CC, I think using your own script is more handy, than plugin, since you can easily adapt it for your needs
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:39 pm

@DtrQ

Any chance of sharing that python script? Sounds really useful :)
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General