List of should-eventually-be-implemented features

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:45 am

I'm new here and to programming in general so go easy. Lol.

I would suggest a built in library or what you all I suppose call a plugin of some sort that incorporates php and mysql.

Allow the programmer to set variables in mysql, insert php code and such and auto populate the mysql info into an sql database.

I may be covering something that Construct 2 already does, however I haven't yet seen any db files in any of the samples people have constructed.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:00 pm

[quote="droptank21":nkzcpr5l]I'm new here and to programming in general so go easy. Lol.

I would suggest a built in library or what you all I suppose call a plugin of some sort that incorporates php and mysql.

Allow the programmer to set variables in mysql, insert php code and such and auto populate the mysql info into an sql database.

I may be covering something that Construct 2 already does, however I haven't yet seen any db files in any of the samples people have constructed.[/quote:nkzcpr5l]

I'm not quite sure what you are really willing to do. Though I guess you should take a look at python's documentation to see if the standard library can't fit your request at the moment.
If not I suggest you to rewrite a preciser review of what your needs are and what you would like to see implemented.

I also use this post to link to a request of mine that got no answer so far from the dev staff.
I'd like to know if the ideas I'm depicting in this post are either already doable in some way (if yes, please tell me how to), likely to be implemented in Construct 2, absolutely ridiculous and will never make it to any Construct version.

Thanks for your time.
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:10 pm

Hi Kyatric,

Sorry we didn't reply to your other thread! The great thing about HTML5 is it comes with websockets, and AJAX requests. Both of these features we plan to fully support with Construct 2, and aim to make it as easy as possible to make multiplayer games.

I did read your other post, and have been thinking about it. It's difficult to do, but it's something we are thinking about a lot. Node.JS would be a great candidate for Construct 2 built server applications.

With HTML and AJAX requests, it will be really really easy to make requests to servers with HTTP requests to execute certain SQL commands, and retrieve data. Websockets will be more functional for streaming/realtime data.

Tom
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:30 pm

[quote="Kyatric":34hh2rl3]
I suggest you to rewrite a preciser review of what your needs are and what you would like to see implemented.
[/quote:34hh2rl3]

Okay. Basically a built-in IDE that allows php and mysql interoperability.

For example: In the first layout is a splash screen where the user can login or register. The inputs are sent via php to a mysql database. If the user id and password exists in the mysql database the next layout is displayed. If the user is not logged in an error message is displayed.
Register brings up a new layout where the user can create a user id and password and populated into the mysql database.

Example 2: After loged in the user's character picks up a "usable item". The sprite for the item is destroyed on the main window but populates in the items inventory. Likewise, if the user utilizes the item from their inventory the sprite in the inventory is destroyed and that object's/sprite's event is run.

Example 3: User's character takes damage from hazardous object. As far as I have seen in most of the examples so far, the health of the character is maintained in a js file which can be very easily hacked by anyone who knows js. If health/HP level is maintained as a variable in a mysql database and only accessed server side via php, it cannot be hacked by simply changing a js file.

Example 4: User's character triggers battle sequence. New layout opens showing character sprite, moster sprite, HP, etc. (Similar to Final Fantasy 1 battle scenes) User clicks button to attack. Character sprite movement etc. Deals damage to enemy- damage dealt represented in message. Enemy responds dealing damage to character-damage dealt represented in message. HP level decreased. Character deals damage to enemy reducing enemy HP to zero. Enemy sprite dissolves. Victory message displayed. Stat change message displayed ($, Experience, etc...). Sequences back to prior layout before battle scenario layout triggered. New HP/MP/$/Exp variables updated.

Those are just a few examples. What I am suggesting is an IDE implemetation to Construct 2 to quickly and easily add mysql variables and php script. Just as it is easy to add a sprite and set js script events for it, Constrcut should just as easily set mysql variables and set php scripts to manipulate and work with them. (IMO :D)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:47 pm

[quote="Tom":1m8ud0zc]
With HTML and AJAX requests, it will be really really easy to make requests to servers with HTTP requests to execute certain SQL commands, and retrieve data. Websockets will be more functional for streaming/realtime data.

Tom[/quote:1m8ud0zc]

Wait??? Let me be sure I'm reading your response correctly. HTML5 allows AJAX XMLHttpRequest objects within js files?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:57 pm

Yes, the javascript in Construct 2's HTML5 runtime can do anything it can on a webpage, like XMLHttpRequest. Also, HTML5 adds websockets which can do realtime server-client communication.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:32 pm

[quote="droptank21":120eb3ce]Those are just a few examples. What I am suggesting is an IDE implemetation to Construct 2 to quickly and easily add mysql variables and php script. Just as it is easy to add a sprite and set js script events for it, Constrcut should just as easily set mysql variables and set php scripts to manipulate and work with them. (IMO :D)[/quote:120eb3ce]

@droptank21: I'm not sure such an implementation would be easily manageable construct-style.
For a topic as delicate as mysql access (and as you seem to be pretty sensitive to hacking issues) I'm not sure such an "easy mysql object" would fit. To modify stuff on a mysql base requires users credentials for sure and must be dealt with carefuly.
As a developper I prefer to handle myself this server side, and not leave it to an automated construct-like object.

Anyway, what you required can already be achieved in actual Construct, but it require php knowledge.
Webservices calls (html requests) are already manageable via the Http request object and also via Python and the xmlrpclib (standard lib).
So basicaly have the php script (written in plain PHP code, not construct way though) on your server and "communicate" with it.
In the case of http request object, it is mainly accessing an url with parameters, destination script on the server is a "classic" php script.
Or you can use xmlrpclib (python scripting / official doc) for xmlrpc exchanges (with an xmlrpc api implemented on your server ("classic" xmlrpc lib is xmlrpc for php / more infos on xmlrpc)).

I've been working/playing with this lately (using joomla, elgg and wordpress as "servers") and once you have the hang of it, it works pretty well. Though you need to take time and dive into the documentation. And the php server side coding is an obligation (coding your own server application or plugins for already existing softwares like those I named).
So far I haven't encountered troubles with the Http object. (I must admit I mainly have been doing local testing though).

[quote="Tom":120eb3ce]Hi Kyatric,

Sorry we didn't reply to your other thread! The great thing about HTML5 is it comes with websockets, and AJAX requests. Both of these features we plan to fully support with Construct 2, and aim to make it as easy as possible to make multiplayer games.

I did read your other post, and have been thinking about it. It's difficult to do, but it's something we are thinking about a lot. Node.JS would be a great candidate for Construct 2 built server applications.

Tom[/quote:120eb3ce]

@ Tom & Ashley & Rich & all Construct Dev Staff: thank you for your answer guys, and once again awesome work in planning the future of construct. Sorry to have bumped the question earlier, but as I'm getting more and more serious with using construct in a professional way (construct 0.x as well as C2 in the (soon) future) I needed some clarification.
Thanks for giving it.

I haven't looked much into javascript yet, but I'm confident you will find a way to nail application server in C2. Also good choice on implementing http request as well as websockets.

Once again I'm confident you'll do a great job. Thanks and keep up the awesome work.
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:46 pm

Sprite and Animation Editor. nuff said.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:57 am

[quote="Azu":1e2dd7f0]Sprite and Animation Editor. nuff said.[/quote:1e2dd7f0]
Isn't that coming in the next build? This topic is for features that weren't originally in C1.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:44 pm

What I would like is an addition to the Animation Tab: the order of the animations in the list (assuming it'll look the same in C2 as it did in C1) should also serve as a sort of priority hierarchy, meaning that an animation can never interrupt one above it. I think it's fair to say that getting animations to play when they should is one of the major obstacles to new users, and this would simplify it a bit. :)
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General