Living Life Afraid J'n'R

Post your Construct-made creations!

Post » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:37 pm

Agreed. It's too slow. Should have adjusted more after changing the whole thing. I guess it has nothing to do with your computer... (if the walking isn't kind of slow for you as well)

EDIT: Okay, tweaked the jumping back to normal, I guess:

[url:vtpnqd93]http://www.mediafire.com/?4dsdt0lnma2[/url:vtpnqd93]

I was wondering if the jumping height was the same for everyone. You should be able to jump about the height of two 32x32 blocks, like shown on the pic.

B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:09 am

Finally got around to playing this, and it's looking pretty good so far. The tilework is awesome and the controls are responsive, even with the inertia.

I only have a couple crits:

1. The jumping seems a little too linear. Like an inverted V, it's pointy on top. There doesn't seem to be any deceleration/acceleration at the peak of the jump which, makes it look a little odd and jerky, especially since the horizontal movement has so much inertia.

2. I think it's just the expression on her face, but the girl kinda looks like a mean old man in a wig. It's the heavy brow and small eyes. And I know the cheeks are supposed to be chubby, but they look a little jowly. I don't mean to offend, it's just the impression I get looking at her.

But otherwise it's looking pretty slick. Keep it up!
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:05 am

About the jump animation, is, is that there is no animation of her jumping; she is simply lifted dangling into the air. To me, it is odd. However, this project is essentially nice and neat; always lovely to see something of the sort, having been worked to a playable state.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:17 pm

[quote:x4b0sez2]The jumping seems a little too linear. Like an inverted V, it's pointy on top[/quote:x4b0sez2]

[quote:x4b0sez2]You should tweak the jumping a bit, it looks too rigid.[/quote:x4b0sez2]

Yes it's still a little... well like you guys said, too pointy on top. When the jump force reaches 0 the character immediately drops, it should probably last a bit there.

[quote:x4b0sez2]I think it's just the expression on her face, but the girl kinda looks like a mean old man in awig. It's the heavy brow and small eyes.[/quote:x4b0sez2]

Okay that made me laugh again :o
Old man in a wig, haha. Classic!
Obviously I'm not getting the same impression looking at her and actually those pixels are not supposed to be brows (but it may pretty well be you're right). All I can say is that it's NOT supposed to be the average cute little girl, fitting the overall mood of game (which isn't really there yet). "Old wig man" will be considered as final title for the game though.

[quote:x4b0sez2]About the jump animation, is, is that there is no animation of her jumping; she is simply lifted dangling into the air[/quote:x4b0sez2]

Animations are still at a minimum. So more/better animations should be there in the process. In fact all graphics are work in progress (like all game content).

Thanks for the comments so far, all critique was constructive and helpful.
Nobody mentioned the jump height yet. So I guess it's the same for everyone?!
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:44 pm

[quote="PixelRebirth":mlrp2oqv]
Obviously I'm not getting the same impression looking at her and actually those pixels are not supposed to be brows (but it may pretty well be you're right). All I can say is that it's NOT supposed to be the average cute little girl, fitting the overall mood of game (which isn't really there yet).[/quote:mlrp2oqv]

Just to clarify, this is the impression I get when looking at her face:

Again, I'm not meaning to offend. It's just the way I see it. It could very well be just me, you know, like one of those two faces/vase optical illusions or something.

When the pixels are zoomed way in like that though, the old-man illusion sort of loses it's effect on me, and it does look more like a girl. It's just the small version that makes me think "old man." Or maybe "old Russian woman." :P
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:53 pm

Here's the next test release.

This time there should be at least some gameplay value. There are things to collect (blood-red tears) and it's not too easy to get to the end of the area.

Among many small changes the scrolling is much improved but not quite perfect yet. Moving platforms work much better now as well.

There are some spikes but you can't get hurt yet.

Check it out and give me some feedback:

[url:23u9pma7]http://www.mediafire.com/?bywxwwvdm0w[/url:23u9pma7]
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:17 am

DOH lol, this crappy computer can't run it... gotta wait until I can get out to the workshop and use the good computer to check it out.

"Direct X 9 is not installed blah blah blah..."

Me = [size=150:en322l9e]D:[/size:en322l9e]
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:46 pm

[quote="deadeye":3lvi1i6j][quote="PixelRebirth":3lvi1i6j]
Obviously I'm not getting the same impression looking at her and actually those pixels are not supposed to be brows (but it may pretty well be you're right). All I can say is that it's NOT supposed to be the average cute little girl, fitting the overall mood of game (which isn't really there yet).[/quote:3lvi1i6j]

Just to clarify, this is the impression I get when looking at her face:

Again, I'm not meaning to offend. It's just the way I see it. It could very well be just me, you know, like one of those two faces/vase optical illusions or something.

When the pixels are zoomed way in like that though, the old-man illusion sort of loses it's effect on me, and it does look more like a girl. It's just the small version that makes me think "old man." Or maybe "old Russian woman." :P[/quote:3lvi1i6j]

HAHAHAHAHA LOLLOLOLOL!!!

But yeah, you're right. It looks like an old woman
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:40 pm

Finally I understand what deadeye is seeing.

Where he put the eyes there's actually supposed to be the nose which is pointing up. The brows are the eyes... I didn't see it before, now I can. I never thought of the 2 pixels on each side of the nose as eyes.

Anyway, it's not unlikely I will change the sprite to something like this:

I guess it would look much less confusing... hehe.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:40 am

Much better.

But, we need something like this :

B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Your Creations