load image from URL memory issue

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
Memory game, with 10 levels for you to have fun. Made in Construct3, template available for purchase.
  • Memory piles up when loading image from URL

When loading image and replacing current frame it doesn't free memory.

Attach a Capx

Attachment file.

CAPX is just Sprite that keeps loading one image

Press space to toggle loading on and off. Image is loaded from project files. I used Node-Webkit preview to see the nw process better on Windows Task Manager.

Updated CAPX 9/23/2014

Enter to go different layout and back.

Steps to Reproduce Bug

• Open Windows Task Manager
    • Run preview
    • Press space
    • Observe building up memory on nw.exe

Observed Result

Building up memory on nw.exe until crash.

Expected Result

No piling up memory usage when replacing image. If possible.

Affected Browsers

• Node-Webkit: YES (Easier to track memory usage)
    • Chrome: Not sure apparently NO
    • Firefox: Not sure apparently NO

Operating System and Service Pack

Win 7 Ultimate SP1

Construct 2 Version ID

180 64-bit

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Ok I think this is Node-Webkit specific. It does't happen on NW version 0.8.6. Maybe I should make new topic about this to somewhere else?

Also tested on C2 version 181 which uses node webkit 0.10.5 and it has same issue.

• Might make sure you have webgl working.

I would think that switching layouts would prove that... other than using the conditions that is.

• [quote:113blgw5]Might make sure you have webgl working.

I would think that switching layouts would prove that... other than using the conditions that is.

Renderer expression shows webgl. Problem doesn't occur on canvas2d. Not sure how I prove that changing layout.

• Well changing layout in webgl should free memory.

That would solve the issue, and theres a high probability that may be the only solution.

• [quote:1p29s1q6]Well changing layout in webgl should free memory.

It doesn't free memory. I exported this and replased it to use Node-Webkit v0.8.6 and I don't see any issues there.

Node-Webkit v0.8.6 exe

• I can't reproduce in Chrome 37, but it does reproduce in node-webkit. I'm not sure why it would happen since the code is short-circuited to basically do nothing if you load the same image URL as is already loaded.

This may be a Chrome 35 bug which is fixed in Chrome 36/37, so it may be that a future node-webkit update will have it fixed. If not try reporting it again but directly to node-webkit (https://github.com/rogerwang/node-webkit/issues) since if it doesn't show up in Chrome it's likely a NW specific issue and not a C2 bug. Alternatively the workaround is simple too, just don't repeatedly load the same URL.

• [quote:13u3e0lu]If not try reporting it again but directly to node-webkit (https://github.com/rogerwang/node-webkit/issues) since if it doesn't show up in Chrome it's likely a NW specific issue and not a C2 bug.

Will do that.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)