Loading different languages from a file

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:09 pm

I want to let players choose what language to use in my game at the beggining of it, so I want to load a file with all the different translations: spanish, english, french, russian, etc, so the game can load the respective text corresponding to the chosen language.

I did a test loading from an excel file, and I don't know why the game does not load special characters like the "ñ" in spanish. I don't know how to test it in russian either.

So what's the best way to achieve this?, thanks a lot.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:57 pm

Hi @FunEffect,

I'm currently trying to do the same thing for one of my games. I'm using XML files instead because it has UTF-8 encoding. So, I was wondering if your excel file is encoded in UTF-8. IMO UTF-8 should support spanish special characters such as "ñ". I'm dealing with french special characters (é, è, à; etc.).

Try UTF-8 encoding and let me know. On the other hand I have no idea how to deal with russian alphabet since it consists of completely different letters.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:59 pm

Thanks for the idea, I'm going to try that and let you know the results.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:31 pm

It worked, I had to use notepad++ to change the encoding. Thanks a lot.

Now, how can I writte something in russian and load it in-game?, just for testing.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:44 pm

Using notepad++ I copied this russian text on my xml file to test it: русский язык, I ran the game and it showed it without problems, I don't know how to write in russian, but I guess that's not a problem since the translator will give me the texts.

Thanks again and good luck with that.
B
S
G

Return to How do I....?