Long Save Times

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
Full game Construct 2 and Construct 3 to post on Google Play
  • I was experiencing a long abnormal save time, and Construct 2 seemed to be stuck on the backup process (I have no locations setup, so it was taking a long time with the local backups [more like revisions I guess]). Anyhow, it turns out I have some rather large files stored in the project folder that got sucked up into the backup. Is it wise for Construct 2 to take the entire project folder and save to a backup file? I like to keep things in one place, but I suppose I can create a root folder to encapsulate the construct folder and the other related one. I just figured the backups where for project associated files only.

• Construct 2 does take the entire project folder wholesale. What kind of large files do you have in the project?

• Yeah my project saving has recently gone from pretty fast to about 2 whole minutes of waiting for it to save and backup. I guess it's something to do with the new method of how C2 handles saving? ;o

• I was making a video tutorial and put all files in the same place.

• Nothing's changed about how C2 handles saves recently. You should keep large files like videos outside the project folder to prevent them being backed up.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Oh Right haha, I remembered incorrectly, I was thinking of this:

When making backups of folder-based projects, Construct 2 now writes the backup to temp then copies that to the backup location, rather than backing up directly to the backup folder. This may help fix some freezes during backup (if services like Dropbox had tried to start reading the backup before C2 had finished writing it).

scirra.com/construct2/releases/r125

Not gonna lie, but I haven't inserted any massive files or anything into my project, no vids or large images or large sounds/music, nothing that I'm aware of, but ever since r125 (iirc) my saves have been brutally slow. I've had to turn off my two extra backups (one to another location and one to dropbox) because when it begins copying, it takes an astronomical amount of time when it copies over those two. I will review my project and see what I can find out.

EDIT: Ok here are my discoveries. I'm pretty confused to be honest lol

My main Construct 2 project file is a nice small 986kb

All the folders for Animations, Event Sheets, Files, Layouts, & Textures, all add up to 17.6mb

The "Keep backup copy" option is set to 100 for me, and I have 100 backups which is cool; but here's where it gets interesting (Bare in mind, I have no clue how C2 works and handles saves so I might just be being stupid)

The earliest backup weighs 72.9mb

and the latest backup is 686mb !

Altogether my backups are taking 36gb! Lol

Now, I've deactivated locational backups for now since the saves take so long compared to the 5 seconds it used to take. But here's their sizes the last time I touched them

The backup that automatically gets placed in a "Backup" folder is 672mb.

The backup in Dropbox is 387.

Yeah...

Here's a nice little indicator that I believe something is 100% wrong.

Exporting the project to Node-Webkit WITHOUT compressing the PNG and NOT minifying, weighing JUST the win32 folder, is 54mb

I'm very confused indeed!

EDIT2:

Oh dear god. I've just ran out of space, paniced, so i saved my project, closed C2, started deleting some stuff, opened up C2, loaded my project, but wait! It's corrupt! Due to having literally 0 space on my harddrive from the backups, it didn't save my project successfully. Kill me t.t

EDIT:3

Well, I lost a big chunk of progress, couldn't recover the deleted files with the software I have, and so I used one of the backups that I have, and low-behold, it appears the most recent backups iirc were actually backing up previous backups (So backup 89 was actually backing up EVERY SINGLE backup from 1-88 along with itself) so THAT'S why I was having this problem! Not to mention that it was backing up the "Backup" folder that is in the Project folder, meaning it was backing up backups of backups of itself. This was a massive letdown that I lost so much progress, but I'm ULTRA happy I kept SOME backups! I'll be sure to separate folders a bit more and permanently keep backing up so this doesn't happen again!

• Oh Right haha, I remembered incorrectly, I was thinking of this:

When making backups of folder-based projects, Construct 2 now writes the backup to temp then copies that to the backup location, rather than backing up directly to the backup folder. This may help fix some freezes during backup (if services like Dropbox had tried to start reading the backup before C2 had finished writing it).

https://www.scirra.com/construct2/releases/r125

Not gonna lie, but I haven't inserted any massive files or anything into my project, no vids or large images or large sounds/music, nothing that I'm aware of, but ever since r125 (iirc) my saves have been brutally slow. I've had to turn off my two extra backups (one to another location and one to dropbox) because when it begins copying, it takes an astronomical amount of time when it copies over those two. I will review my project and see what I can find out.

EDIT: Ok here are my discoveries. I'm pretty confused to be honest lol

My main Construct 2 project file is a nice small 986kb

All the folders for Animations, Event Sheets, Files, Layouts, & Textures, all add up to 17.6mb

The "Keep backup copy" option is set to 100 for me, and I have 100 backups which is cool; but here's where it gets interesting (Bare in mind, I have no clue how C2 works and handles saves so I might just be being stupid)

The earliest backup weighs 72.9mb

and the latest backup is 686mb !

Altogether my backups are taking 36gb! Lol

Now, I've deactivated locational backups for now since the saves take so long compared to the 5 seconds it used to take. But here's their sizes the last time I touched them

The backup that automatically gets placed in a "Backup" folder is 672mb.

The backup in Dropbox is 387.

Yeah...

Here's a nice little indicator that I believe something is 100% wrong.

Exporting the project to Node-Webkit WITHOUT compressing the PNG and NOT minifying, weighing JUST the win32 folder, is 54mb

I'm very confused indeed!

EDIT2:

Oh dear god. I've just ran out of space, paniced, so i saved my project, closed C2, started deleting some stuff, opened up C2, loaded my project, but wait! It's corrupt! Due to having literally 0 space on my harddrive from the backups, it didn't save my project successfully. Kill me t.t

EDIT:3

Well, I lost a big chunk of progress, couldn't recover the deleted files with the software I have, and so I used one of the backups that I have, and low-behold, it appears the most recent backups iirc were actually backing up previous backups (So backup 89 was actually backing up EVERY SINGLE backup from 1-88 along with itself) so THAT'S why I was having this problem! Not to mention that it was backing up the "Backup" folder that is in the Project folder, meaning it was backing up backups of backups of itself. This was a massive letdown that I lost so much progress, but I'm ULTRA happy I kept SOME backups! I'll be sure to separate folders a bit more and permanently keep backing up so this doesn't happen again!

You can start crying silently |:)

• It crossed my mind that that may be happening (that old backups were being included). It may happen if you previously had 100 backups, then turned it off, or reduced it to 1 (assuming there isn't a bug in C2). ;) Not sure how C2 handles it in that case, I haven't checked. Perhaps just keep the auto backup off and backup only to external locations.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)