Looking for a co-worker/helper

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
  • After like 3months of using Construct i am stuned and saden by how small progress ive made and how huge my own limitations are. That being said, i find myself unable to develope any game of my design using Construct.

This topic is preety much my last hope.

The list of the games is quite large but at the moment i am focused around more modern dungeon crawler.

I do all the graphics, models, sprites, animations, the system, storyline, basic stuff in construct. My friend Ozi is responsible for all the SFX and music.

what you have to be capable of:

codding at least a working save system. thats the current minimum.

I dont flood people asking to solve my problems. I ask for help at the very end when i find myself absolutly unable to solve the problem. So this is preety much a part-time job.

I might sound cool and dandy but i am actualy quite desperate and miserable. Construct was my last hope for fullfiling my dreams. And now its over. I dont know any other engines plain enough for me to understand and work with as Construct. And Construct has just droped from the list too. So i am in a dead-end.

I hope somebody will be kind enough but i dont expect anything. I am a man of small faith in other people. But words dont cost anything.

Please, help me.

• Construct was my last hope for fullfiling my dreams. And now its over.

Why is it over? "Like 3 months" is practically nothing when you're starting to learn something as complex as game programming, and your also in an unfamiliar development environment. It sounds like you're just giving up when the work gets challenging/being lazy. Look up examples of how to use the ini object, or better yet, figure it out yourself, and you will have a working save system in no time.

Also: Start small.

• Hi Irbis,

Don't give up just yet! That's just how game programming works. It's logic and problem solving to the core. You are bound to encounter a problem that is beyond you whatever programming language/engine you use. And construct is as easy as it gets!

Goodluck with your game!

Cheers!

• i am preety sure i know myself alot better then you Davioware.

Especialy in case of my limitations. And i have more free time per day then you have per week. I could afford even 10h in row with Construct, per day.

And as i said - dont argue with something that only I can be 100% sure about.

If you dont intend to help - just leave this topic be, without throwing names. This is not helping. only makes me feel more misrable.

Also, as much as i am greatfull for warm and friendly words Namre please lets not turn this thread into "Irbis need a hug" thread

But thank you.

• irbis needs no hugs. He needs slapped. *slaps irbis*

Now that that is out of the way. Making a save system is actually really really simple. You just take some global variables (like your character stats) and write them to a .ini using the .ini object.

1) Set ini file's path (remember to create a .txt in notepad and rename it .ini)

2) Write your variables

3) Done

4) Not done, put in something that loads the ini again when you start your layout or game or something via the below

5) Set your global variables to their counterparts in the .ini using "Set global variable to (INI object) "Get string" or "Get Value"

6) Actually done.

This is partly off the top of my head. It may vary a tiny bit.

Edit: The slap part was just humorous. Opposite of a hug/tough love kind of joke. Just adding this in case it was lost in the black abyss that is the limitations of text.

• irbis needs no hugs. He needs slapped. *slaps irbis*

Now that that is out of the way. Making a save system is actually really really simple. You just take some global variables (like your character stats) and write them to a .ini using the .ini object.

1) Set ini file's path (remember to create a .txt in notepad and rename it .ini)

2) Write your variables

3) Done

4) Not done, put in something that loads the ini again when you start your layout or game or something via the below

5) Set your global variables to their counterparts in the .ini using "Set global variable to (INI object) "Get string" or "Get Value"

6) Actually done.

This is partly off the top of my head. It may vary a tiny bit.

Edit: The slap part was just humorous. Opposite of a hug/tough love kind of joke. Just adding this in case it was lost in the black abyss that is the limitations of text.

theres actualy no detailed tutorial about this. and just with the guidelines and theory i couldnt get far. But even so - i dont want INI file to be there and open for players who could cheat the game by editing the INI or even see whats "behind the stage". Even playing with CRC32 will only protect the INI from being modified - but not from being viewed. But even if this would be good solution - i still dont know how to do that, and nothing on this forums or wiki helped me figure it out. Besides. Making my own save/load system is assigning a value to liteary every aspect of the game. Not only the stats but also, where they are, what they are, where are the monsters, where is the player. Its also forces an array usage for level. I cant just dump stuff and call it a level as i did in past. Now i would need to find a way to actualy write the whole level with all the raw data.

Belive me. At this day, at this moment. I simple cannot learn how to do that. From various reason. ConstructWiki being badly writen and dated, total mess on the forums which makes preety much impossible to find anything i need, no visiual style tutorials or tutorials writen in a way i dont understand, me being limited, my aweful math.

Thats why i am asking NOT for someone to actualy MAKE the game for me. Just helping me connect FEW things here and there.

• Why are you acting like someone has died, you could have just asked people 'how do I make a save game' instead of this melodramatic 'all hope is lost' talk.

• Why are you acting like someone has died, you could have just asked people 'how do I make a save game' instead of this melodramatic 'all hope is lost' talk.

you dont know me, you dont know the background. and yes, for me - as ridiculous as it might sound for you - the matter is dead serious.

i am really growing tired of this. is this your imput? THIS is your contribution...? being cynical and arogant? what the hell is this? 4chan?

ive seen your previous post which shows that you have no real knowledge about Construct, yet - you come over here lecturing me? have some manners.

i am not an emo. i dont feed on others pity. i state things as they. if i am saying i am desperate - i am desperate. if i say this is my only hope - it IS my only hope. i KNOW how to play violin (in theory) but i have no SKILLS to play the violin.

is this really so hard to understand? i am pro at writing poetry, my bud in the other hand has arm-muscle bigger then my head. i dont expect him to write a poem, and he dont expect me to lift more weight then him.

• Keep throwing stuff at the wall and see if anything sticks.

S'how I get by.

• After like 3months of using Construct i am stuned and saden by how small progress ive made and how huge my own limitations are. That being said, i find myself unable to develope any game of my design using Construct.

This topic is preety much my last hope.

After like 3 years of using Klik n' Play, Click n' Create, TGF, Jamagic, MMF, MMF2, GM, Construct, and attempting python & C++, I'm stunned and saddened by how small progress I've made and how huge my own limitations are, HOWEVER I've come a long way, worked with a lot of people, and made close to 50 games (cough..'engines' and unfinished games at least) and am pretty happy to have gotten this far.

Davioware is right; 3 months IS absolutely nothing when it comes to this stuff. I've been working with Construct since last june, and even though I've made a number of projects with it I've still barely grazed the surface.

INI is pretty simple, and Construct pretty much handles it for you. If you don't like INI try arrays, if you don't like those try hashtables, if you don't like those either then hell I dunno, make a game that doesn't require saving or use Construct's save thing lol.

If you still feel like throwing in the towel then good luck finding someone to program your game for you.

• [quote:gbgsx8xs]After like 3 years of using Klik n' Play, Click n' Create, TGF, Jamagic, MMF, MMF2, GM, Construct, and attempting python & C++, I'm stunned and saddened by how small progress I've made and how huge my own limitations are, HOWEVER I've come a long way, worked with a lot of people, and made close to 50 games (cough..'engines' and unfinished games at least) and am pretty happy to have gotten this far.

Davioware is right; 3 months IS absolutely nothing when it comes to this stuff. I've been working with Construct since last june, and even though I've made a number of projects with it I've still barely grazed the surface.

you guys really should stop throwing everybody into one bucket. i know my limitations and so i aim at simple games. Not everything can be learned by everyone- and anybody who claims diffrent, is just plain wrong. the whole (needless) discussion so far is me saying "no i cant" and you saying "yes you can". just writen in a diffrent form. lets drop it - please.

[quote:gbgsx8xs]INI is pretty simple, and Construct pretty much handles it for you. If you don't like INI try arrays, if you don't like those try hashtables, if you don't like those either then hell I dunno, make a game that doesn't require saving or use Construct's save thing lol.

You should know better then i do - that INI files can be both viewed and modified, array - as ive said just too offten - is fine, as long as i store only the stats with them, hachtables in the other hand... well, thats quantum physics for me, right, there. Construct Save/Load is left broken from 2 years.

and game without saving progress... brings back memories when i owned ATARI ST.

• Hate to ask here, but are there any .INI tutorials worth checking out on the forum?

Seems like (obviously) useful knowledge.

• i am really growing tired of this. is this your imput? THIS is your contribution...? being cynical and arogant? what the hell is this? 4chan?

I was not being cynical I was simply saying that you are taking this too seriously. Stop feeling sorry for yourself, it's just a game

But seriously, saying that a thread about asking how to make save files as your "last hope" for expanding your limitations may be true, but is very melodramatic. It's like me saying 'I haven't got construct yet, tommorrow is my last hope to get it, if I can't get it then, all hope is lost, and my life will be over '

Just simply ask what you want to know, and people will answer, and you won't have to have all this extra crying and expecting hugs and stuff. I put in what input I could, while it was not technical, it was still what I knew, and it was logical. And also, think before you post about how people will react, for the first rule of the internet is: No one cares on the internet.

• statement "No one cares on the internet" is false. but it still sadden me, each and every time i bump into this so harmfuly popular statement. internet is not diffrent then real world as there are the same living breathing human beings involed. there is a small minority that actualy "cares". both in real and over the internet. i am one of them. and the majority? i dont give a s**t about majority.

saying that everything over the internet is bullshit is as false as saying that we are all just a bounch "chat-bots" not a living, feeling creatures.

[quote:22kcxzxb]Hate to ask here, but are there any .INI tutorials worth checking out on the forum?

no. only for storing basic stats. not for loading levels from it. at least i havent found anything after a solid 2h of digging so i might be wrong.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I just realized that people have actually suggested solutions to your problem, but apparently if it's saved in a text file and it's possible to cheat, and you don't know how to do it, it's not a usable solution because all the sad people would cheat. Ask and ye shall recieve, so that rules out the 'I can't do it' excuse. And people can cheat in almost any game, but that defeats the purpose of the game, so what's the worry?

If your gonna tell me everything I say is stupid then I'm going to just ignore this topic and the half-empty glass that made it.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)