G

Post » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:53 am

Sorry about my earlier posts, thanks for the PM :wink:
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:26 pm

Wow, what a thread.

I think it's great to collaborate with people and if you were able to get a small team together then that would be awesome - I've been trying myself for a while, it's hard work to find people (especially coders). However I am with the opinion that 3 months is such a small space of time to study Construct or even game development in general. I've been learning this stuff for about 2 years now and I still have no fkin idea what I'm doing lol.

I would be careful about trying to enrol people into your project, because you may have no idea what stumbling blocks you will reach 6 months to a year down the line in development and I think it's best to be prepared for it. I've run into so many problems and I'm really thankful that the people I have worked with are as patient as they are lol. I'm also super thankful for the people in this forum, for they are awesome and very helpful - this thread for example has suggestions and advice to solve one of your big problems.

Of course it's impossible to have the foresight to predict these problems but I think what I'm getting at is that, if you've only used the app for 3 months, before trying to finish this game - I'd try just making a few very tiny games and experiments by yourself, with each little game taking advantage of one element of the game you want to make, perhaps. This way you'll really learn about the process involved with development and you will have gained a lot more experience and be better prepared to know what you need to do or learn in order to complete your main project and from that you'd be bang on to people saying, 'I need this and this, can you do this - I just need a bit of help with this...blahblahblah'

Am I being a twat? Am I not helping anything at all? Shall I shut up now? Yes
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:17 pm

People are often rude here for no good reason anyway, so what's new? If a person posts a suggestion it gets fought down, or they're told it can already be done and they're just too stupid to be able to do it on their own. Then they're told you don't know anything about programming and that's why you don't know how to do it, etc, etc.

Irbis is right on a lot of things. He could be nicer himself, but it doesn't change that he is right on a number of things. Not everyone can program a game in every format, and there is nothing to feel bad about there. He may be a great C programmer or other type, or he may be great in a different discipline but this doesn't always translate to Construct.

Event-based programming is a different animal, and even though it's been around for years, it's still fairly experimental. So techniques and approaches are not really textbook the way they are for language-based programming, hence all the tech demos and new techniques coming out here and with other similar programs. This is one excuse for these types of development tools not having a lot of documentation, although I still think the basics can be covered better.

I program in C#. I came back and forth to Construct 2 or 3 times before I finally got it, and even now I'd still say there are a number of things I'm foggy on, but I can make a good full game with it if I wanted. It certainly needs some new objects, some plug-ins need to be worked on and officially added as well, and there are certain things that don't work well that will have to be worked out before 1.0 to ensure 1.0 isn't a bust. That said, it's a great program but it's not for everyone, just like any other development tool, so I don't think a person is the devil for declaring that.
B
G

Post » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:48 pm

Wow, this thread started with the wrong foot. You guys are being very rude and defensive-agressive with no reason at all. Calm down everybody!

You can't expect to have people excited about the things you done because you haven't shown them anything! And you shouldn't get mad because they don't reply the way you wanted.
Right now Construct is not very collaborative-friendly, I think this is why most "Looking for team" topics tend to fail. Everybody in here is used to working alone, because merging .CAP or game assets is impossible so far - therefore their advice is valid, and you shouldn't reply with that rudeness.

Everybody that posts a topic trying to find help forgets a crucial part: SELLING YOUR IDEA. Show us what you got for your game! Main plot, sketches, concept art, music, whatever you have! I don't have enough experience on Construct to accept your offer, but even if I did have it, I would never say "OK!" without seeing the game! Since you are not offering money for people to work for you, you have to rely on their good-will and enthusiasm to work on the project! :wink:

Anyway, if I get to like your idea and project, I can help you organize your GDDs, game ideas, design the UI wireframes and make a plan for the production to work - it's what I do best!
What do you say?
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:00 pm

Saving using the Array tool is actually easy. I'll do a tutorial in a minute. Honestly, 3 months is nothing.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:39 pm

Oh, I didn't realize what kind of save system you wanted. I didn't know you meant saving levels. The method I stated before is really easy for, say, saving the character's stats, which room he's in (like in Castlevania), and some other simple stuff which is stored in global variables and things. I see that you need something more than that, though and therefore, my response does not solve your problem.

BTW, I do believe there are some methods to encrypt files, though I have not yet looked into this very much myself. If you work on protection of save files (character stats and such, not levels), just keep in mind that everything can be hacked and therefore it is only worth adding so much protection and putting so much effort into it. If the person can't just open it with notepad and alter stats, that might be good enough. It's up to you.

Also, I agree with gammabeam that two people "coding" together in Construct does not work very well. You can get help from other people, but two people working on events for the same game at once is a bit...complex. You can't copy stuff between .caps.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:06 pm

ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:51 pm

"I cant do it because i know i cant do it"

yet you don't even seem to know what you have to do, or anyway to do it and that is your problem? what kind of logic is that.

you say that you know 100%, thats the biggest bullshit Ive ever heard, because your not even giving yourself a chance. I don't know how you expect someone to join a team when you seem to only believe in what you can do individually.

Also, please, any request for help should show that you have a considerable amount of effort and a good idea that you can put on the table, your current attitude and lack of anything game related shows the opposite and is almost guaranteeing this wont work.

i remember seeing this picture
http://img840.imageshack.us/i/fluxengine.png/
and having been very impressed, is this your work? or someone elses?

please show more if this is the truth
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:40 pm

[quote="irbis":10yg07ct][/quote:10yg07ct]

Cool dungeon, is that randomly generated? And is it also partially 3-D with the walls?
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic