Looking for Alternatives to broken In-App Browser

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:57 am

Hey guys. I just created a new Android APK but when I try to open the game I get a black screen.
User +emmanuel1100 (shoutout to emmanuel1100) managed to trace the source of the problem to be the InApp Browser Plugin which I had to take out of the CAPX and true enough, the new APK build worked.

Now this is all fine and good except now I have no way of closing the Game except pressing the "Home" button on my device. Also I want to be able to make use of the 'Back' button on my device.

Are there any other alternatives to the built-in InApp Browser plugin?
I tried the cranberry one but it doesn't seem to be able to close the game either. There are also no available conditions for when 'back' button is pressed on that one.

If not, can anyone suggest other workarounds?

Thank you.
Image Image Image
B
29
S
11
G
27
Posts: 730
Reputation: 17,002

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:04 am

Could you use the Browser object in C2? Make a button and just say 'On Touch > Browser object close' ?

I havent tried that so I'm not sure if it works. I just allow users to press the home button to quit out of my game.

The browser object also has a 'back' action. You could make your own back button too?
B
69
S
49
G
58
Posts: 398
Reputation: 36,628

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:19 am

Artpunk wrote:Could you use the Browser object in C2? Make a button and just say 'On Touch > Browser object close' ?

I havent tried that so I'm not sure if it works. I just allow users to press the home button to quit out of my game.

The browser object also has a 'back' action. You could make your own back button too?


THAT's the broken browser object I'm talking about. Somehow the new APK files get black screen if you have that plugin in your CAPX. I'm looking for an alternative to that one.
Image Image Image
B
29
S
11
G
27
Posts: 730
Reputation: 17,002

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:30 pm

Ah ok. Well I use the browser object in my game, building with XDK and Im not getting black screens (for the moment). I wonder whats different.
B
69
S
49
G
58
Posts: 398
Reputation: 36,628

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:06 pm

Artpunk wrote:Ah ok. Well I use the browser object in my game, building with XDK and Im not getting black screens (for the moment). I wonder whats different.


Have you tried creating an APK lately though?
It's either C2 r242 or XDK again.
Image Image Image
B
29
S
11
G
27
Posts: 730
Reputation: 17,002

Post » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:19 am

MPPlantOfficial wrote:Have you tried creating an APK lately though?
It's either C2 r242 or XDK again.

Yes Ive been exporting for Android, iOS and WinPhone as recently as the last couple of days.
Im using C2 r242 and XDK 3759.

One thing I just discovered though is that Im using an older version of the InAppBrowser plugin (v.1.4.0).
Checking the documentation I see the latest version of the plugin is v1.6.1.

Which version of the plugin was giving you black screens @MPPlantOfficial? Did you have the latest version? If you did, and that was generating black screens for you, I feel reluctant to update it.
B
69
S
49
G
58
Posts: 398
Reputation: 36,628

Post » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:18 am

Artpunk wrote:
MPPlantOfficial wrote:Have you tried creating an APK lately though?
It's either C2 r242 or XDK again.

Yes Ive been exporting for Android, iOS and WinPhone as recently as the last couple of days.
Im using C2 r242 and XDK 3759.

One thing I just discovered though is that Im using an older version of the InAppBrowser plugin (v.1.4.0).
Checking the documentation I see the latest version of the plugin is v1.6.1.

Which version of the plugin was giving you black screens @MPPlantOfficial? Did you have the latest version? If you did, and that was generating black screens for you, I feel reluctant to update it.


An older version of the plugin? I didn't even know you could do that. How do I check?
Could you upload that version?
Image Image Image
B
29
S
11
G
27
Posts: 730
Reputation: 17,002

Post » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:01 am

Artpunk wrote:
MPPlantOfficial wrote:One thing I just discovered though is that Im using an older version of the InAppBrowser plugin (v.1.4.0).
Checking the documentation I see the latest version of the plugin is v1.6.1.


I'm looking at my XDK here. Seems the cordova-plugin-inappbrowser is 1.4.0 as well.
Looking through alternate versions and seems like 1.4.0 IS the latest version.

What are my choices here?

EDIT: Seems like v1.6.1 DOES EXIST after all. v1.4.0 is the default plugin being fetched but you can fetch v1.6.1 manually. Will be trying to build APK from this one. Will keep you posted on the results.
Image Image Image
B
29
S
11
G
27
Posts: 730
Reputation: 17,002

Post » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:37 am

Yeah this is something I learned about not that long ago. I was getting black screens on iOS and it turned that it was related to me using an old version of the WKWebView plugin in XDK. When I updated that plugin the blackscreen issue I was having was resolved.

Ok so in your case, it sounds like it was the 1.4.0 version of the InAppBrowser plugin that was causing blackscreens? Since you hadnt updated it I assume that was the version you were using?

Weird thing is I'm using that version with no problems.
B
69
S
49
G
58
Posts: 398
Reputation: 36,628

Post » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:15 am

Artpunk wrote:Yeah this is something I learned about not that long ago. I was getting black screens on iOS and it turned that it was related to me using an old version of the WKWebView plugin in XDK. When I updated that plugin the blackscreen issue I was having was resolved.

Ok so in your case, it sounds like it was the 1.4.0 version of the InAppBrowser plugin that was causing blackscreens? Since you hadnt updated it I assume that was the version you were using?

Weird thing is I'm using that version with no problems.


Possibly. Will be doing tests when I get home. Far as I know once you install r242 there's no going back. Seems like such a hassle to uninstall, reinstall, get plugin, uninstall again....
Best option seems to be look for a guy who doesn't have C2 yet, install and get the plugin from him.
Image Image Image
B
29
S
11
G
27
Posts: 730
Reputation: 17,002

Next

Return to Construct 2 General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests