Looking for Programming Helper

Looking to build a team or have a job to offer?

Post » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:36 pm

Hi there,

After long debate and other events happening I've come to switch to using Construct 2 for my game design plans.

While I do have experience in both video game design and team management, one thing I'm not good at is programming. For my projects, I was hoping someone could help answer questions when I get stuck to help minimize times where I'm spending days on stupid problems that could be fixed by someone experienced much quicker.

If someone wants to collaborate with me to do more than that, that's fine, but I can't offer up very large contracts (only revenue shares post-release) as most of my budget is going towards graphics, music, sound effects, general development and publishing costs, etc.

If anyone is up for something like being on Skype and helping me out a few times a week when I get stuck, I'd appreciate it. It doesn't have to be a large commitment or anything. As an example, I might need help implementing the code for text that has a "typewriter" effect where the letters come across the screen bit by bit instead of all at once, or I might need help with configuring button schemes where it requires two buttons at once, a diagonal direction, etc.; these are relatively easier things that come to mind but there might be harder tasks where I just don't know how to tackle the problem or come up with a solution and hoping that someone on the forums MIGHT respond with some vague, "potential" solution that doesn't actually help me get it working isn't really good enough for me.

If you think you can help more than that (e.g. actually coding things entirely to save me from the torture) and want to get paid a little (profit share or not, up to you), we can possibly work something out: hit me up at masroorq AT gmail DOT com. If someone actually wants to join the team and has the experience and team skills, feel free to contact me about that too, doing all the programming on my own is hard after all--just keep in mind I can't be paying you $20 an hour if you're doing 20 hours of work a week, I don't have that sort of budget or I'd just hire someone to make the game for me.

I'm in a small rush so I may have forgotten something, just ask if you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer--I think I've said enough here though. E-mail is the best way to reach me by far so if you're honestly interested, you know what to do!

Thanks!

P.S. Please do not reply with offers for music or graphic design, I already have a music composer and a graphics artist and don't need help with SFX, UI, etc. at the moment. Programmers experienced with Construct 2 only, please.
B
S

Post » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:10 am

I'm asking out of curiosity more than anything.

I often hear that managers looking for programmers have a small budget. Which I understand; without serious income small start ups are always. However often with that comment comes with the line "most of the budget is going towards art and audio so I can only offer profit share"

I did notice you are offernig a small stipend which is above others I have seen, but I am very curios why; why is that it seems that audio an artists get paid yet programmers who put it all together have to be paid on promises?

Are there more programmers than artists, are audio engineers more rare?
I would like to understand more.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:19 am

jayderyu wrote:I'm asking out of curiosity more than anything....
...Are there more programmers than artists, are audio engineers more rare?

You are correct. I also find, just spec here. That in fact, the same is said to the audio and artists.
"most of the budget is going towards the programming side so I can only offer you profit share."

Personally, in cases like this I usually walk away, because I can get my own assets, and I really don't need a manager(no one needs those). So unless the "Manager" can bring something very very juicy to the table. I ain't going to bite - ever.
You think you can do these things, but you can't, Nemo!
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:17 am

The funny thing is that there are much more artists than programmers. Just look at most of the 'music composers' spam. I say spam because most of them are noobs.
Plus construct programmer is a joke. You can learn the soft and find what you need in several days.
I assume that the price would be higher if it was coded in common languages.
People who are looking for programmers are azy because the soft itself is made to not use a programmer.
And if the person is too lazy to learn the soft well, sorry but i don't trust this person.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:41 pm

@vagaev, I disagree that knowing a coding language would change the situation. Having been program tinkering for far too long in Basic, GWBasic, C, C++, Java, Lua, PHP, C# I found I've made more contract work with C2. let alone productivity is faster. I've met plenty of Unity programmers working on profit share yet I still commonly see financial assistance usually directed towards art. however I'm not here to discuss on my poor skills of selling myself, but often on the posts made by people looking for programmers.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/179474 ... Style-Game
http://www.cocos2d-iphone.org/forums/to ... re-mostly/
http://www.coderanch.com/t/623060/Jobs- ... ers-profit

@DUTOIT
I don't hang out on art areas as my skills are artistic skills mediocre, but I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up.

I disagree about Managers in a work environment where there a bunch of games being made. However I agree with the statement a whole lot for games over the internet for small teams. I remember one guy offering to manage a C2 team only offering managing while he is elsewhere managing 5 other teams. Outside of some minimal communications he wasn't bringing any product development to the table. So this doesn't seem to be worth it. However at my current place of employment has a manager who is managing 9 employees for programming, art, but also has to managing organizing the audio engineers, making calls and is fairly busy.

However if a manager offered not just managing, but more importantly can communicate with the industry for more exposure I would reconsider.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:04 pm

I'm interested. But i'm not sure if I am good enough for you. I do have the ability to think very creative, but I am not experienced with some of the programming in Construct 2, which obviusly make it hard for me to accomplish.
I am currently working on a MOBA project which goes great so far.
I have worked on many project, everything from simple lane running games to Terraria games.
For example. I know how to do RTS/MOBA/RandomGeneration quite well.
You can feel free to see my page and see the games i've been posting, but some of them are incredible simple, and old.

I'm wondering what kind of game(s) you are planning to make, and how skilled programmer you actually want. I can even help for free, depending on how i scale with your need.
B
S

Post » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:54 am

I'm asking out of curiosity more than anything.

I often hear that managers looking for programmers have a small budget. Which I understand; without serious income small start ups are always. However often with that comment comes with the line "most of the budget is going towards art and audio so I can only offer profit share"

I did notice you are offernig a small stipend which is above others I have seen, but I am very curios why; why is that it seems that audio an artists get paid yet programmers who put it all together have to be paid on promises?

Are there more programmers than artists, are audio engineers more rare?

I can't speak for people in general, but I personally feel that people are generally more willing to help with programming than artwork. Honestly, I'm well aware that this request is a bit of a long-shot. That's why the ideal situation is that someone just helps out of sheer kindness--while rare, I've met people who do that, who are willing to help whenever they have free time by answering questions and the like. I'm not really interested in hiring a programmer to do actual dirty work, or rather I would be but I have to budget things: programming is something I can do the majority of on my own so therefore finding someone to do it for me is low priority.

You are correct. I also find, just spec here. That in fact, the same is said to the audio and artists.
"most of the budget is going towards the programming side so I can only offer you profit share."

Personally, in cases like this I usually walk away, because I can get my own assets, and I really don't need a manager(no one needs those). So unless the "Manager" can bring something very very juicy to the table. I ain't going to bite - ever.

Haha, so it's like people only ever offer profit share, huh? That's a shame to hear. Go figure, though. I don't expect the average person to bite.

The funny thing is that there are much more artists than programmers. Just look at most of the 'music composers' spam. I say spam because most of them are noobs.
Plus construct programmer is a joke. You can learn the soft and find what you need in several days.
I assume that the price would be higher if it was coded in common languages.
People who are looking for programmers are azy because the soft itself is made to not use a programmer.
And if the person is too lazy to learn the soft well, sorry but i don't trust this person.

Well, that's the thing--finding actual quality graphics artist for affordable prices is difficult. Music composition is something I take very seriously which is why I chose a specific friend to do it for me.

For you Construct programming might be piss easy, but try to see things from the light of people not experienced in coding and without a large capacity for this sort of thing. From my perspective, you just seem like you're hating on less talented people and brushing them off as "lazy" and unwilling to learn. Personally, I only want to speed up my learning and development process by not hitting major roadblocks/obstacles that impede progress for days... or rather, by having someone help me overcome said obstacles quickly. Anything above and beyond is extra and would be out of sheer kindness; I'll accept, but it's not what I'm seeking nor can I offer greater compensation for it outside of the not-very-enticing profit-share (and other benefits of working under someone who is paying for all the assets himself, managing the project, etc.).

@jayderu you make a good-point; I'm personally of the belief that a manager should be familiar with every aspect of development and well... they should be more than a manager, they should be actively involved in the design of the game and that means being able to program, being able to analyze and work with music and art assets, etc.

I intended to take this kind of approach while doubling as the programmer, with someone to bail me out when my programming skills failed (which they often do, programming isn't a great talent of mine).

@HPA97 thanks for the offer, but if you're not too confident in your own skills, I wouldn't want to push you and risk it, especially since the biggest obstacle here is how to work in C2 (I've programmed in other places in other languages before... Java and C# in Unity mostly).

I think I'll just try asking questions and perhaps I'll find someone amidst the question-answererers (yes I know that's not a word) who'd be willing to share their Skype with me or something. Perhaps doing it this way where it seems like I'm asking for a free commitment is too much of a turn-off after all, no matter how I try to word it, haha.
B
S

Return to Job Offers and Team Requests