Looking for some advice...

0 favourites
  • 15 posts
  • Hi, I'm looking for some advice on something that has been eating at my head for quite some time.

For the game I am making, I have almost everything I need. But there's one thing I cannot do and that is spriting. I really wish I could, but it seems that it is not within the range of my ability. Now, my game is free and 100% made just for fun, this is my hobby, and I love it. For this reason I do not care to use sprites from other commercial games and edit them (by sprites, I only mean character sprites, I can make objects, just not characters...). Now I Can edit sprites, but I ran into a problem with the main character, there's only one sprite I could find that fits his style of battle, but this sprite needs a heavy edit and I am not capable of doing that. =\

Now, I have read articles on spriters and people who seek them out. The prices these articles mention are nothing short of horrifying, it seems there's not spriters that will do a job for less the 20 an hour minimum. O.o

The question is: How costly would it be to have somebody EDIT an already existing sprite? I only need this one character edited, nothing else. Surely it cannot be anywhere near the prices for starting from scratch?

D:

• You should check for topics like these on this very forum.

Some artists have proposed their services for free lately. it's worse a look.

Else for the specific question of the time it takes for spriters to edit something should be akse directly to said-spriter.

I'll move this topic to the "Open topics" forum since it might get more views from concerned people (who don't necesseraly check the C2 forum)

• Here, i'm an artist for free too :)

If it's possible for me to do, then i can do it for free. Just PM me, i'm a free man. :)

• Kyatric: Thanks for the help Kyatric and moving the topic to a more appropriate location.

01lifeleft: Amazing. I never thought I would get an answer so fast. ^__^

• Well, it seems my request has scared people away. D: So I still need help... This only ONE sprite sheet... I need it to be edited only...

Here's the sheet.

So so so many thanks to whoever accepts my request.

• Thats close to 200 sprites! That is a lot of work (especially with a heavy edit).

If you dont intend to make any money off the game and its just for fun why dont you just change the colours of the overall sheet with saturation and hue etc? Have you got an image editor like photoshop?

You couldnt make any money with it that way but it would look good while still being different.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Sadly, I think you are right. Doesn't seem like I am gonna get any help for free these days. I would pay for it, but the thing is I'm scared of the price tags I am gonna get. I was gonna recolor all other sprites but not this one. No one's really giving me a price, so I dunno if this is an impossible request for me. What I really need for this sprite, it's a black trench coat. I dunno how much work that is and I cannot draw a trench coat in pixels, it goes beyond my pixel abilities.

• ... I cannot draw a trench coat in pixels, it goes beyond my pixel abilities.If you can make a game, VampyricalCurse, you can certainly manage to edit graphics - and it's fun learning!

• The question is: How costly would it be to have somebody EDIT an already existing sprite? I only need this one character edited, nothing else. Surely it cannot be anywhere near the prices for starting from scratch?

Editing sprites is sometimes more difficult than making them from scratch.

On a side note, if your game is free, then why are you willing to pay someone for the work? That's absurd!

• If you can make a game, VampyricalCurse, you can certainly manage to edit graphics - and it's fun learning!

Velojet: I can edit graphics, just not this kind. I have tried many tutorials and I have come the conclusion that I cannot tell shapes when it comes to pixel art of this kind. Complex shapes in pixel form go beyond me for some reason, let alone shading. Editing this would take me probably years and I would give up half way, or quarter way, due the fact that it would be a complete fail. I never asked for help before on any of my projects.

On a side note, if your game is free, then why are you willing to pay someone for the work? That's absurd!

Tokinsom: Just because it seems I won't get help otherwise. This is the reason why I am not gonna pay the prices I have seen in many articles online, not only cos I cannot possibly afford that, but also because my game is free. Paying seems absurd in my case, I know, but I don't see any other choice. Indie game development has changed a lot since I first got into it back in '95. Seems like there's no place for "free" anymore, or is growing thinner by the day.

• You can always use different characters sprite and combine them

• : So far I haven't found any sprites of this style that has a trench coat. The first thing I thought was indeed franken-spriting, but I did not have any luck with it.

• Maybe we can work together? I dont need no money, only c2 license. skype me awghenas1989 if interested

• Maybe we can work together? I dont need no money, only c2 license. skype me awghenas1989 if interested

Fair enough. :)

• Due to time restrictions it wasn't possible for me to get help yet. I will still buy anybody willing to help me a C2 license. The offer is still up...

Thank you.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)