Loot Pursuit (Zelda/Grandia/Mario hybrid RPG) 9/29 update

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:07 am

Got lotsa new features implemented!

In this one I've consolidated all the individual HP numbers that appear with each hit - with the units moving around so much and so many of them appearing, it's too difficult to tell what's actually happened, so now with each hit it updates the one above them instead.There's also HP/SP bars and a ring shows the character's target. I'm going to improve upon that and make a line connecting the two as well to make it more easily readable.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:15 am

A question/thought came to my mind. Have you considered having lines or arrows/other pointy things that show the direction where the target moves after you've hit them? It would help aiming for collateral damage. The length of the line could expand as the characters grow, if you have a growth system.
Have a happy day!
- Markus Lappalainen, Composer & Audio Engineer
Open for commissions!

For Hire Thread | LinkedIn | SoundCloud
B
S

Post » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:55 pm

@taistelusopuli Yep! I've already started on it but my first attempt wasn't very clear. I'm redesigning it to be much more readable.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:07 am

I have been following this project since it started if you can believe it or not! And I am talking waay back! Glad to see some awesome progress being made. Looking forward to seeing more!!
Ever feel like you can't finish the game you are working on? It's time for a game plan, it's time to discover game design.

http://www.discovergamedesign.com

Check out my other courses:

https://www.jerementor.com
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:59 am

@Jerementor Awesome! Thanks for the interest, I've got lots more stuff on the way! :)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:42 pm

Arima wrote:I've already started on it but my first attempt wasn't very clear. I'm redesigning it to be much more readable.

I look forward to seeing how it will look like once it is finished ;)
Have a happy day!
- Markus Lappalainen, Composer & Audio Engineer
Open for commissions!

For Hire Thread | LinkedIn | SoundCloud
B
S

Post » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:38 pm

It's cool to see you're still working on this!
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:49 pm

Update - here's some of what I've been working on.

Magic bolt
Ria's basic distance attack. Doesn't use much stamina, so it's useful for a quick shot to stop an enemy. Stronger enemies will need to be hit harder to knock them out of their attacks.

Ria's explosion spell
KABLOOEEYY

3D collisions
This gif shows how the units collide in 3D despite being a 2D game. They technically collided in 3D in the explosion gif too, but it was pretty inaccurate and I came up with a much improved method - enough so that I should probably redo the gif.

Other new features this update: There's new arrows while paused showing what the object's movement is, I used some free textures to improve the graphics, there's text at the mouse location showing what a click will do and I shrunk the HP/SP bars because they were blocking the view of the units entirely when they were bunched together. One downside of improving the graphics though is that gifs of the game are way larger. Not that it matters much for those on broadband, but those on mobile can get slammed by them, which is a big part of the reason why I'm keeping the frame rates as low as possible while still conveying the action properly. It's frustrating that there's still no universally accepted successor to the gif. :/

There's been a lot of other progress too, new abilities, items and enemies. It's still a ways off from being ready for people to play, but it's getting relatively close to being ready for me to make a video of a battle which will make it much clearer how the game mechanics work (if you ignore the lack of a level and other such missing content).
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:03 pm

Combo mode

In a lot of games you can select a combo attack from a list and watch it play out the same every time. In Loot Pursuit, you get to design your own combos from the moves you already have. This enables greater variety of gameplay as the players can utilize their moves however they want.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:38 pm

so cool, I really enjoy the animations and the mechanic of the game looks pretty awesome!!
Congratulations :3
Open for Commission, contact email > [email protected]

my personal website with news in my game developer adventure! |

adult ( 18) pixel art games
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests