Low FPS in C2 games is more crippling than it should be?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:39 pm

Creative problem solving with C2....

Can you just make your bounding boxes bigger? Especially in the case of a bullet, you could extend the "tail" of the hitbox 5-10 pixels. Sometimes a collision might look a little wonky, but it's better than missing.
Developing Surolace, the survival role playing space game.

surolace-survival-role-playing-space-game_t116953
B
S

Post » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:54 pm

I have my solutions to this problem thought. When fps drops below lets say 55, I switch off some of the smaller details on screen. If still continues I switch off more. And if it even continues then, I'll automatically switch to low quality renderer. After few seconds I'm switching stuff back. But that depends all on game itself. I can trade some particles and other elements temporarily for better fps.
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:29 pm

@skelooth Yep, I've done that! And not only with tails of 5-10 pixels, much more to be sure : )
It doesn't have any negative effect when the projectiles come from the player, but enlarging the hitboxes for the enemies weapons makes the game much harder, of course.

@megatronx Only cutscenes runs on high quality, all the "real" game runs in low quality already to max the perfs. It feels like a 720p only game, but with some "sharpen" photoshop effects on the GUI, it looks pretty ok even for graphic nazis.

That said, instead of asking to the player to change his graphic settings if the game drops under 45fps, I could autoswitch like you do, and then bring back the high settings if the game runs smoothly for a long enough time.
That's a very good idea, thank you!

Note: I feel like I'm hijacking the thread, I'll now shut up for a bit and let @sqiddster and Ashley continue ; )
Image | @AurelRegard on twitter
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:44 pm

Curious, how would you accomplish this auto switch to a lower res?
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:04 pm

(the game is based on a 1280x720 resolution but uses 1080p assets.
So you can set the fullscreen scaling to "low" for some parts, and to "high" for others, at the start of the layouts or depending on the FPS variable. This can be found in the System action pannel)
Image | @AurelRegard on twitter
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:17 pm

Problems Detected
GPU rasterization is whitelisted on N4, N5, N7 and Moto X: 362779
Disabled Features: gpu_rasterization
Additional GPU rasterization whitelist for field trial: 380694
Disabled Features: gpu_rasterization_field_trial
Some drivers are unable to reset the D3D device in the GPU process sandbox
Applied Workarounds: exit_on_context_lost
TexSubImage2D() is faster for full uploads on ANGLE
Applied Workarounds: texsubimage2d_faster_than_teximage2d
Clear uniforms before first program use on all platforms: 124764, 349137
Applied Workarounds: clear_uniforms_before_first_program_use
Threaded rasterization has not been enabled or is not supported by the current system.
Disabled Features: threaded_rasterization
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:42 pm

Seems like 30fps is pretty playable. Maybe not ideal but certainly you should be able to play a game at 30 fps. 12 fps .. now that's unplayable.
Follow my CZero development on twitter https://twitter.com/CaptainZeroGame
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:48 pm

@Ashley fair enough, but it will probably need fine-tuning.

@sinistar99 Did you try my demo with GPU lag?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:43 am

OK, back to the original issue - as a refresher, basically we've noticed that some lag is worse than other lag.

I've done some datalogging in three settings: CPU lag in the lag demo already provided, GPU lag in the same demo, and my game Airscape: The Fall of Gravity. At 30fps, here's what I noticed purely based on 'feel':

CPU lag: Felt perfectly fine, exactly what 30fps should be.
GPU lag: definite weirdness
Airscape: Absolutely horrible to control, nightmarish. Felt more like 5fps than 30fps.

Here are the dt logs I've made: [dt logged every tick]

CPU lag: very little deviation between dt
GPU lag: a fair bit of deviation between dt
Airscape: a LOT of deviation between dt

@Ashley hopefully you can do something with this. There's definitely evidence here that something's wrong.

Everyone else, I've attached an updated lag test that you can use to test on your own machines. Bonus points for attaching to your games ( @aurel I'm looking at you :) )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:30 pm

Yep, CPU lag causes frame skipping but no noticeable difference in gameplay. GPU lag causes frame skipping and significant input delay rendering the game unplayable.

Ashley wrote:Yeah, well as you mentioned the disadvantage of a cap like 0.02 is a few seconds of lower framerate will run the game in to slow-mo for a few moments, which is disorientating for the player - kind of like randomly varying the timescale during gameplay. I'm not convinced that's a better solution. I think we want to aim for a value that just cuts off the spikes.

I think the game slowing down a little bit is far LESS disorienting (especially since every gamer ever is totally aware of and used to it) than severe input lag, skipping frames, and missing collisions, don't you?
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General