Low FPS

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:02 pm

Thanks for checking that out David! I really appriciate it!

Deleting the debugger text object seemed to sort it out. After that was gone, creating more ships didn't make much impact on the FPS at all! (althought the FPS for me still hangs around 100 when it used to be around 200). I found that deleting the object that masked the radar (with the mask effect on it) and unticking "force own texture" on my HUD layer caused the FPS to rise up nearer 200 again... This may be just my crappy 9550pro being crappy though, and I dont think I can get around the fact that i need to force own texture can i?

All in all its running tonnes better. I also optimized the turret and engine placement code. I used the idea that it doesn't place the turrets correctly unless the object is onscreen (although i may need to force this when the game goes online, but thats another matter). Now i get a pretty solid good FPS and can create alot of ships.

OPTIMIZED-
http://edenofficial.com/beta/clientb41.exe
(hold C to create minions and make my beautiful radar looks crappy!)

Let me know what FPS you get (FPS in lower right corner)

Also, what exactly are batches? Couldn't find anything on the wiki or forum about them.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:02 am

I get 77 fps like last time but when I spawn so much I get lowered down to 40 then 15 XD

crap computer with 60mhz laptop screen so yeah
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:21 am

Runs much better than last time. I don't know how many ships there are, but I can make a bunch before I get down to about 30fps, which is pretty much the playable-unplayable border.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:44 am

I can have about 100-150 ships before it slows down to 30FPS

[quote="Highimpact":cu45d53a]crap computer with 60mhz laptop screen so yeah[/quote:cu45d53a]

I wish I had a monitor that could display 60 million FPS. :P
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:42 pm

Lol I never noticed the frame counter before because it was under my task bar hahaha.

Oh well, this time it didn't drop to below 30fps until I had like 150+ ships on my lappy. The map pretty much looked like a blue brick of dots. Even while flying it steadied at around 24fps.

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:07 pm

[quote="linkman2004":qap6wozg]I can have about 100-150 ships before it slows down to 30FPS

[quote="Highimpact":qap6wozg]crap computer with 60mhz laptop screen so yeah[/quote:qap6wozg]

I wish I had a monitor that could display 60 million FPS. :P[/quote:qap6wozg]

*cough* Did I say mhz? I meant hertz XD dont worry Im semi retarded. I wish it was mhz! then maybe I could get 300 fps with a better graphics card. I cant even imagine what that looks like.. It must be sooo smooth!
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:14 pm

When something moves faster than our eyes can refresh we see a motion blur, which is the average of all the images we see...except instead of it being 5x etc its infinite times! So I guess a monitor with a refresh that high would look like a construct game with 1 million times motion blur :P
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:17 pm

[quote="David":o98r36aq]When something moves faster than our eyes can refresh we see a motion blur [...] So I guess a monitor with a refresh that high would look like a construct game with 1 million times motion blur :P[/quote:o98r36aq]
I don't know what Construct does for "motion blur", but if it's in any way realistic, then the higher the frame rate the less motion blur you get. Or rather, the less motion blur you need: motion blur is an artefact of filming at low frame rates, and recreating it in a game lets you get away with a lower frame rate without looking stuttery.

Motion blur comes doesn't come from the eyes but from a camera. At a normal movie framerate of 24 fps, each film frame can be exposed for up to 1/24 second. This means that a fast-moving object will produce not just one image of itself, but overlapping images in all the places it goes through during that 1/24 second. This makes the image of the moving object blurred.

Now shoot the same thing with a high speed camera that takes 500 frames per second (or, for a single frame, grab any still image camera and set the exposure timing to 1/500 second). Each frame can only be exposed for a much shorter time, so the same moving object will produce much less blur per frame: each frame shows the object moving through a far shorter distance. At 1/500 second you're unlikely to see any blurring, unless you're taking pictures of Superman going faster than a tall building.

The "refresh rate" of human perception is not really a fixed number, but any monitor refresh frequency over 60 Hz or so is fairly pointless because the brain will tune out anything more than that.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:43 pm

[quote="Znirk":25d4lpi7]I don't know what Construct does for "motion blur", but if it's in any way realistic, then the higher the frame rate the less motion blur you get.[/quote:25d4lpi7]
That's right - Construct's motion blur is effectively a sum of everything that happened since the last frame. The higher your refresh rate, the less blurry things will look - but it usually makes motion look much nicer even at high rates! Motion blurred graphics are much more pleasing to the eye - your brain can make sense of how fast things are moving, and in which direction, from a still image.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct Classic Discussion