Mac nodewebkit broken due to massive input delay

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:17 pm

Nice...
Mac is out, Linux is unknown (did someone ever used it?) Windows versions below Vista (or was it 7?) is problematic, Mobiles are... funny.
yeaah that sounds really nice indeed.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:35 pm

I wonder if it would be possible to do a multiplatform executable-like exporter based on firefox, they seem less ankward with their decisions (I think someone tried it on another forum already).

As for html5, it is not a bad awnser (after all, it is the real C2 export and it works really well compared to all those wrappers, but as it has been said, people need better ease of distributions, since html5 is not considered as a valid multiplatform all by itself by a lot of people, it is but there are no viable market yet for them)
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:49 pm

Im not sure if this helps you guys any further, but the thing i do in this kind of situation, is, i search the internet for similar problems.
I found something that is really close to the problem you describe: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/bnKrPwwGm-0
- Conti
"It's done when it's done"

Shadows of War
Buy on Steam ;)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:32 pm

@Aphrodite
html5 is good but it's not the perfect answer... You still have huge list of blacklisted devices so no webgl... and old operating systems.
And to be honest I can't see how big games (there are few already) would work in browser - from players view.

Something must be done really quickly. Because at this point it's not funny and hearing "You need to wait few months for others to catch up" is not working anymore.
Imagine what people would think if they just bought the license and wanted to export to mac or linux - scirra home page clearly says that you can do that.

Same goes for other wrapper, not node-webkit only. If suddenly XDK, cJS or others change their mind and cancel their projects or start demanding some money for their services? I don't think "For some more money you can export to XXX using ZZZ wrapper" will ever work.

When node-webkit was introduced at first it was like a god send for most of C2 users. Ability to export to desktop. Two years later it is still not good. No more support for old windows versions, no proper fullscreen, very little customization and very slow updates. And now Mac and Linux are completely broken.
If they started to work on their own native exporter two years ago we would already have a proper way to export desktop games. Now is getting a bit late...

Same goes for bugs, issues and stuff not working properly. There are still many bugs and that are present from a long time and nobody seems to care about them, or simply ignoring them. And all those small things that was implemented but never actually finished or improved.
"it's on to do list, but C2 is developed by only one person" do not apply anymore. Scirra is no longer a bedroom company.

I devoted 5 of my years to CC and C2 and considered myself as a loyal "costumer". Defending it whenever I knew is right. But now... To me its Construct Classic, all over again.

Some fanboys are gonna cry at me now, but whatever. Sometimes I feel like someone is actually paying these fanboy to post comments about how wonderful C2 is and how amazing new features are. Truth is, that features should be added long time ago and should work like we expect them to work. Quick example I found out today. Shadow caster can work properly only with one light source in entire layout. it's not possible to use more than one and expect it to work properly.
C2 is not only "ohh" and "ahh". C2 deserve some constructive criticism, which I just give.

@Ashley really need to think about current situation and make some decisions in which way he want's C2 to go. And this decision will be crucial for a lot of users here.

and btw. I do not care what some people may think about me after reading this post. Have fun with that.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:44 pm

@shinkan I've been already contacting some users in regards to NW, to see what their opinion is and weather they would be willing to help doing something about it. Next month I could even pay some money towards hiring a programmer to do a proper wrapper, or fix NW. But that's one of the possibilities. I will start a topic soon on this subject, so we can collect all known to us NW issues, and discuss what could be done.
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:59 pm

@megatronx That's great idea.
But why? Why WE - users, should be doing that?
NW is integral part of C2. It's not a thing that you need to download and setup separately.

Imagine you bought a game, and you have some issue with one level not running correctly. What would you say if developers of that game would say "I'm sorry but we did not make this level, Contact XXX because they are responsible of that part of the game"
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:03 pm

Just for the record, before anyone will go bananas against @shinkan .
He is one of the most loyal and one of the oldest CC/C2 supporters, still being active and helpfull. To the point when in various situations i called him "Scirra Fanatic".
So yeah, if a guy like him, drops a bomb like this... Instead of rage and butthurt - i would really, REALLY pay attention to his words and what he has to say. Because he is one of the last few who would abandon the ship before the sinkage. And if HE is at SUCH edge... Figure it out on your own..
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:17 pm

shinkan wrote:@megatronx That's great idea.
NW is integral part of C2. It's not a thing that you need to download and setup separately.

Imagine you bought a game, and you have some issue with one level not running correctly. What would you say if developers of that game would say "I'm sorry but we did not make this level, Contact XXX because they are responsible of that part of the game"

Why, well, even thought i can still wait, since my game is in early stages, I would like to know that at the end of this journey it will work as intended. I guess I just know that if we wont take things in our hands things will not improve in a way I'd like to see those things improving and within a timescale that is reasonable.
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:29 pm

megatronx wrote:Why, well, even thought i can still wait, since my game is in early stages, I would like to know that at the end of this journey it will work as intended. I guess I just know that if we wont take things in our hands things will not improve in a way I'd like to see those things improving and within a timescale that is reasonable.

Understand what you are saying, but I can't wait and see if it's gonna be alright or not. Been waiting to long already.

I was asked if i will be interested in making simple multiplatform project (win, mac only) and I need to answer this in next few days.
After this post I really don't know. Best decision would be to move to other engine which can do that natively... On the other hand I love C2 to much to just let it go.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:33 pm

megatronx wrote:
shinkan wrote:@megatronx That's great idea.

Why, well, even thought i can still wait, since my game is in early stages, I would like to know that at the end of this journey it will work as intended. I guess I just know that if we wont take things in our hands things will not improve in a way I'd like to see those things improving and within a timescale that is reasonable.

And thats why we can't have nice things. Because, propably - you are not the only one thinking this way. Aaaanddd thats why nothing changes. Because at the end - people just move on, or hire a native programmer and forget about C2.
Btw - i am not bashing you, megatronx. Not at all. just sharing my observations. Especially, as even when i am not around here for as long as Shinkan, i did said a fair share of what Shinkan is saying right now.... MANY times over all those years. But i've been either bashed or ignored. I kept getting "explanations" and "excuses" instead of "solutions". And its damn sad, because out of all the moments and situations when i enjoy "being right", i really hoped that this time i'll be "wrong". Because yeah, i also develope games using C2 and my very own career is at stakes here. And i feel freaking cheated, to call it by its name. And if this situation won't get fixed, and ASAP... Well, then i am in deep s***t, up to my ears. F**k me right? :D

BTW: I am not trolling... I am just very tired and disapointed.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General