Mac nodewebkit broken due to massive input delay

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:24 am

Well whatever the NW bug on MAC is, did not occur in C2 v172 (what I used for my game on sale now).. so it seems to be 174+ (and whatever NW version it included) that has this bug.

I just wish there was more due care taken when you update 3rd party software to newer versions, just test them first to ensure its not utterly broken before including them in C2 updates.

@irbis I fully agree with you. As for the use the right tools for the right job jibe from @JohnnySheffield... what the heck are you implying? That C2 can't be used for a professional making a living making native games? I could have sworn that was what Scirra advertise C2 as, cross-platform, one code base, native programs or mobile apps.

@michael I also fully agree with all your well thought points. But the truth is that Scirra will not be implementing native exporters for C2, it's a HTML5 engine that relies on browsers. Fine, we all know that. Just devote some more time to ensure our native export options are functional, with vital features.

We don't need more fancy features so much as we need the native exports to just WORK and with the ability to monetize our games. I hope they are working on including functional AdMob & Google Store into C2 with an official XDK plugin.. because if they are not, and expect us mobile devs to jump through 4th party plugins, ensuring it works on 3rd party wrappers.. i'm gonna abandon ship and my next games will be on Game Maker.

ps. Linux native export is still broken after how long??
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:07 am

One last thing to throw out of my system and i am out of here.
"Hardcore" developers... Even the sound of this makes my blood boil.
So now, apparently, i am HARDCORE because i want to develope my games on as many platforms as i can...?
THIS is the definition of HARDCORE now? Bloody hell how the world changed.

Wanna know a story? Ever heard of Torque engine? It was like RPG Maker on steroids for years. Till one day... two guys from their basements made a game called SPAZ. And the game gone viral. And Torque sells suddenly skyrocket.
Wanna know why? Because right before the title screen rolls in theres a Torque 2D logo. And the engine is best rated by how many succesful games has been made with him. Wanna earn pennies or bucks? Because Torque made bucks. When i develope a successful game, and i am fond of the engine of my choice - i advertise it. I am paying my respect to the people that enabled me to fullfill my dreams. But if i am publishing a game, with an engine that brought me nothing but struggles and stress ("omg what will break this time...?") you really need to have guts to expect me to advertise you. If anything - i will do the exact opposite. To warn people.

Maybe this is the right time for you to finally leave your comfort zone and join the big boys.
If you have what it takes, that is.

And another problem is not as someone said "people being spoiled and demanding".
Its exactly the other way around. Its people being FEED UP with MEDIOCRITY and cheap "Made In China"-style products and services. At least - I AM.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:03 am

@Silverforce

Au contraire!

I've been living from C2 and teaching C2 for more than a year now. With my company i'm responsible for more than 300 new users of C2 in Croatia. I've been developing C2 games for clients also, and am currently opening my second company which will be focused on creating software with c2 and other tools and game engines. Also, i'm one of the first C2 users to export C2 games to NW, and first to create a plugin for Node-Webkit. Even the documentation and plugins i created served as a basis for implementing official support for nw export in C2.

I was implying that if you have a client that requires some features, your job is to find a solution for this problem (and you don't need to look far, the solution for the problem that caused this whole thread is posted in the original bug thread and requires c/p a few files). And if you see that C2 isn't suited for the job, you either find a solution, or deny an offer. And believe me, there are situations when C2 isn't just the tool for the job (3d apps are the most obvious).

I've vested a lot of time in C2, and i believe it's a superb software. But don't be afraid to step outside of C2, and, let's say learn more about node and nw and, even perhaps, pack your nw apps manually. It's a rewarding and surprisingly easy, and you'll get more fine-grained control.

edit:
Silverforce wrote:I just wish there was more due care taken when you update 3rd party software to newer versions, just test them first to ensure its not utterly broken before including them in C2 updates.

We don't need more fancy features so much as we need the native exports to just WORK and with the ability to monetize our games.

- Yes! I fully agree!!
Be nice until it's time to not be nice
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:00 pm

@michael @JohnnySheffield @irbis @Silverforce @shinkan @Everybody

To be blunt, I don't think most people who buy C2 ever release anything...often not even half-assed test games or re-skinned templates. For some C2 is a game engine. For many it is merely a game. And most of those people won't care about exporters because, in the event that they do finish anything, they'll just upload it to a portal for their friends to play.

Essentially, I agree that the export situation is dicey. However, I'm trying to be realistic -- and a bit of a devil's advocate :twisted: -- as well.

Ashley can't possibly build and maintain exporters from scratch.

The only realistic alternative is to maintain customized forks of the extant exporters, and take a more direct approach to correcting bugs; either by fixing them himself or paying someone else to do it.

If extra capital is needed, there is crowdfunding, a new license variant, subscription models, etc. Ultimately though, I don't think Ashley wants to do this. All we can do is try to convince him to reconsider, and work together as a community to solve what we can, as best we can. Or leave. There's that too. I'm not anywhere near that state of mind yet, but I understand those who are and sympathize with their frustrations.

The reason I choose C2 was not because it could export to a bunch of platforms. Not because it was 'code free' (which, really, it isn't). The reason I threw in with this platform was because, IMHO, it has the best community out there: active, helpful, knowledgeable, polite, and extremely noob tolerant :mrgreen: .

My biggest concern? Those people going away, because they are as much the lifeblood of C2 as the engine itself.

I've seen far too many giants of the community expressing a certain hopelessness that C2 is destined to be a learning and prototyping tool as opposed to a serious development platform. Their concerns may not represent the majority, but their absence would be devastating.

Ashley, you've built something incredible, but the problem with doing something incredible is that people's expectations rise accordingly. Addressing these issues may be a lot of work -- and involve a bit of backtracking -- but it won't be as difficult as manning the 'How Do I?' forum by your lonesome. :shock:
Don't lose your work. Backup your game with Dropbox.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:43 am

Can confirm this bug is 174+ related. I just exported my game which was working fine on 172 & 173 and now touch/mouse clicks don't register properly, AND there's a beeping audio bug which I've never had before. On Macbook Air 2013.

I also tried to copy over the older version node-webkit folder in html5 export in C2, overriding the current version and now the game doesn't load at all, crash on start. The older version is from either 171 or 172 (which work fine on export before).

Trying again with 173...

Seriously such a crippling bug like this, how the hell did it made it pass QA from the NW team and Scirra?

Edit: Copying the note-webkit from v173 to override C2 v175 doesn't work either. Crash on startup. Game over.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:23 pm

Just to chime in from a fairly new user perspective, I purchased C2 after spending a month or 2 with Gamemaker and realizing that once I get something solid created, I would have to pay a lot for a license to export to desired platforms.

I've really enjoyed my experience with C2 so far and how simple and easy it has been to recreate my project and expand it. Now reading this post, I feel slightly cheated on the fact that one of the main purposes of going with C2 is a pain point for many users.

I plan to keep with C2 since I've already made the investment, and hope that there is a solution in the future.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:51 pm

I'm currently in a position where none of these problems affect me, but I do understand where everybody is coming from.
I think Construct 2 is an ace piece of kit, the event editor is the most comfortable thing I've ever used (minus 1 or 2 nitpicks but it may be my own lack of understanding), and honestly if money was an issue to boost Construct 2 development in simultaneous areas at the same time (Or PERHAPS an exporter, or maybe even just have a guy that can monitor critical bugs in exporters that get reported on the Scirra forums and they can be heavily on the case to the developers of the exporter) , then I'd totally back a crowdfunding strategy.

Still though, Scirra have had a job offer up for quite some time now. Who knows what that could bring! Perhaps Scirra could push that job offer out a bit more (Assuming they haven't yet). Or who knows, maybe Scirra have received many applications already but they just aren't up to snuff to be chosen.

It's shocking to see some people reacting this way. I totally understand why and it is definitely warrented, I have lurked daily for ages and have seen things kind of crumble a bit the more things get added (It's great to have things added, don't get me wrong, I guess the more features (esp plugins,exporters), the more work for Scirra to keep things stable), and users that were once ecstatic about Construct 2, are now being more firm and critical about the software. Iuno, kinda sad to see things going this way at this moment. I hope things brighten up soon >.<

tl;dr Do Kickstarter, offer flying monkeys for £1,000, watch the money pour in.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:43 pm

I'd like to see a statement by Scirra on why they are unable to go into NW source code and create a C2-compatible version that fixes these bugs. Assuming they have the skills to do this, I see no reason why this is impossible.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:59 am

As Silverforce noted this Mac NW bug is only in the C2 beta builds, hopefully it'll be fine by the time we get to the stable one anyway.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:42 am

alspal wrote:As Silverforce noted this Mac NW bug is only in the C2 beta builds, hopefully it'll be fine by the time we get to the stable one anyway.

Hopefully. It's a waiting game again.

Really disappointing if your livelihood depended on it.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General