Making a 2D Katamari Damacy in Construct!

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:08 pm

it all makes sense
you'd be surprised how nice the wobble would feel
load up the original katamari thing I posted
and stretch the katamari a little bit
so it's an oval and then run a preview
it has a nice feel to it
very katamariesque <---that's a real word, look it up
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:40 pm

[quote="lucid":2i9gtlb9]it all makes sense
you'd be surprised how nice the wobble would feel
load up the original katamari thing I posted
and stretch the katamari a little bit
so it's an oval and then run a preview
it has a nice feel to it
very katamariesque <---that's a real word, look it up[/quote:2i9gtlb9]

That's true, it's a very nice feel.... hmm...

Well I think that what's most important is getting the invisible circle idea to work, and if it does, then maybe the wobble and oval thing will come next.

I'm pretty sure the katamari in the original video i posted has no wobble at all and it still functions fine...

This invisible circle... how can this work? I understand the concept, just not how it would be done.

The invisible circle needs to be the one picking up the objects, but they'd appear to stick on the real ball. I think this mechanic, once mastered, would fuel the whole game and it'd be easier from there...

Perhaps the circle should not be a physics object at all, but rather a platformer object that is somewhat "bouncy"? I'm not even sure if the katamari has physics on the video..
B
G

Post » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:06 pm

I didn't watch the video
but I was a big katamari fan back in the day
I think the katamari has phyics, and I think it's kindof similar to the oval thing
or else it would never roll with a big pencil sticking out

check out the platform school tutorial...I'm not sure which one, but it uses an invisible sprite to control collisions

it's quite simple though, you can try it for yourself
I don't have much time at the moment to make a cap, but try this

right click the ball we have now
then right click on blank space
right click - then paste [u:bk2lj9ih]clone[/u:bk2lj9ih]
this makes it paste a whole new object, not just a copy of that object

now the new sprite
go into behaviors, and delete the physics behavior

edit the sprite of the original object
just color it green or something
make that sprite invisible
it's at the bottom of the properties panel
start invisible

now make a new event
system-always

in this event create an action
double click the new sprite (that looks like the one we've been using, but has no physics now, remember)
doubleclick on the action set position to object
and then choose the green physics object as the object

create another new action under that one
again with our new sprite(not the green physics sprite)
the new action will be set angle

now play it again
it should look and play exactly the same as it did before
if it does that means, you did the invisible sprite thing
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:59 pm

Okay, did all that and we have this:

https://dl-web.getdropbox.com/get/katam ... w=bea387b8

Works as it should. What I still don't understand is the ability to have these things (katamaris) grow. I'm not entirely sure myself of how it would work conceptually, not just on Construct. I tried adding the size value of the pickup to the size value of the ball when it picks it up but it didn't work out so well. The ball just awkwardly picked up things way out of its reach. Perhaps it's because in the events, things are still sticking to the red ball and not the green one? (The green one is the invisible one in my example.)

Also, the grouping problem. As it is right now, I don't see a way to be able to have stuff stick to the ball without needing to code every single object - the group thing doesn't work because the actions apply to the entire group.
B
G

Post » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:19 am

That file isn't working xiao, btw.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:00 am

[quote="alspal":sn4b7qkc]That file isn't working xiao, btw.[/quote:sn4b7qkc]

I guess I suck at dropbox. D:
B
G

Post » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:03 am

[quote:7u7r5om6]What I still don't understand is the ability to have these things (katamaris) grow. I'm not entirely sure myself of how it would work conceptually, not just on Construct. I tried adding the size value of the pickup to the size value of the ball when it picks it up but it didn't work out so well.[/quote:7u7r5om6]
make the physics sprite visible, and set the opacity to 20 percent
make sure it is on top of everything else
so you can see the physics circle, but you can see the trash and katamari through it
now watch what happens when it gets bigger
your bigger sprite probably isn't repositioning itself to be circling around the katamari and the trash, it's just making a big invisible circle around the original katamari.
you have to figure out the math to make the new size be circling the katamari plus the junk.
it should stretch to an oval, and set itself to an angle thats the best fit for the trash
math is power
and the math section of the system expressions wiki will come in handy

for this to work, you may have to destroy the original physics sprite and create a new one in it's place in order to align the physics circle with the trash it's supposed to be circling. the physics behavior doesn't allow you to move objects without using the physics itself to do it. you can copy over the velocity and angular velocity to the new object so it will continue to move the way the original one did

may also use a second invisible sprite to choose which objects should be picked up
because if you think about it, if you pick up a pencil and it's poking far out from the karamari, causing it to roll differently, you don't want guys sticking to the tip of the pencil. it's a growing circle around the katamari itself, even if the trash is changing the overall shape with one or two odd items, it never loses it's roundness for too long, so the collision mask should grow, but not in the same way the physics object does.

EDIT: For dropbox, make sure you put the file you want to share in the public folder of dropbox, and then rightclick and copy public link
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:30 am

I'm thinking of ditching the wobble thing. As nice as it is I've been messing around and I can't seem to find a system that doesn't break the way the original katamari moves.
B
G

Post » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:44 am

My name is Madster and I endorse this thread.

I also endorse Lucid for giving the most awesome help.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:52 am

In the video you show, the Katamari doesn't "wobble" anyway... so yeah, I'd ditch the wobble idea (even though it would be more "realisitc" to have the wobble) and go with a simple circle that gets larger with each added object.

This would also stop problems from arising, like if your "oval" gets too much oval shaped, it may not want to roll properly. If it is a circle, it will always roll.

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic