Making an interface

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:20 pm

Hey there, folks.

I'm working on remaking an interactive fiction engine I once made with Multimedia Fusion. I also started working on an editor for it, and so I've been working on the layout.

Then it came to me. Is it impossible to make a decent application layout? I mean, tabs don't seem to exist, and the layout plugin seems to be broken or something...

How can I make a decent application layout? :o
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:39 pm

That would depend on what all you wanted to do..... aside from the layout object, just about any controls you want to make up are doable, a bit contrived, but defiantly doable.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:49 pm

Yeah. I actually wanted to create a sort of tabbed layout first, but since I found out that wasn't possible, I wanted to use a list instead, and when clicking on the list a part of the interface would appear. I wanted to do this with layers, and I planned to make layers invisible depending on what option was selected. However... That's not possible, it seems :oops:
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:34 pm

[quote="Joshiii-Kun":2b0gasap]Yeah. I actually wanted to create a sort of tabbed layout first, but since I found out that wasn't possible, I wanted to use a list instead, and when clicking on the list a part of the interface would appear. I wanted to do this with layers, and I planned to make layers invisible depending on what option was selected. However... That's not possible, it seems :oops:[/quote:2b0gasap]
Were you trying to do something like this?

List based layer toggling
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:37 pm

Tabs are possible. I've got a variant of them in my game. It's actually not very hard.

First, the tabtop object has a variable 'tabname' for its name, and should be the same as the layer name it corresponds to.

on tabtop clicked
set all tab layers invisible
set layer 'tabtop.Value('tabname') visible.
Set global value 'currentlayer' to tabtop value 'layer'

Then do a check with what layer's visible when the user clicks on a UI element. To do that, stick all the UI elements in a family, then give the family a variable telling what layer its on, and set it appropriately for each UI element. Then have another value somewhere else telling what the current tab is.

On family UIelement clicked
if UI element 'layer' is equal to global value 'currentlayer'
Actions
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:07 am

To bad you cant do any graphics stuff with python, there are a ton of ui modules out there.
Then again it probably wouldn't take much to make a plug for Construct either.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:20 am

Oh my. I never noticed the Set visible setting for the layers... I just searched for "layer" but it didn't show up! :o I feel ashamed. I will try this out tomorrow, as my brain is too tired now xD

Thanks for responding, folks!
B
S
G

Return to Construct Classic Discussion