Making an RTS. Any tips?

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
Make your own platformer for both the web and mobile easy with this Santas Platformer Template, FULLY DOCUMENTED
  • Hey guys, I'm trying to make a basic RTS/RPG hybrid sort of thing involving necromancy and all sorts of other magic and fantasy elements. I've already made a basic character generations section, but I'm stuck on how to make the gameplay actually function. Can anybody recommend some guides or have any tips on how I might go about it? Thanks!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • The best way is to learn from an example CAPX project that has a similar gameplay to what you desire. If its real time RTS theres a good tutorial in C2, just open up the example.

• 1. Find a way of approach making your game first. This is what I do. I open a paint program. I have a graphics tablet, so it is easier to brainstorm ideas and ways by just scribbling down what I want, and figuring out how they interact with each other, but a plain notepad works also. I write down a bunch things down that I want and scribble a ,,?,, behind. Then I look what I have scribbled and try to figure out the pros and cons and if I know the things can be added, and they do not conflict with each other. If the idea sounds plausible, I tick it.

2. Look threw Scirra`s Arcade examples, and if the example has what you want or you think it could be used, download it and see how the events go(if you are having trouble making the events you want). There are many and awsome guides that this community has written down. So most likely you will find a lot in there also. There is a 3rd source also, and it came with Construct 2. It took me a while to look threw all of the examples, but it was worth it. By the way, there are plently of examples that have a usable RTS mechanic in them(Ex. Pathfiniding).

3. Layout? How many and what I want them to be? This is crucial for a good game. Use the same tactic you did on 1st. Scribble down your layouts. This is a lot easier to do in a paint program, because it lets you figure out, from what layout you want the game to be able to jump to, and reverse. Also from what layout you cant jump to.

Here is a scribble what I did . it isnt very cohesive, but since I made it for myself, I understand it and that is enough.

• 1. If this is you'r first project, dont. It is possible to make an RTS but i can't recommend doing it as an first project, why? Because im trying it myself.

And if you aren't willing spending much time, then you shouldn't even begin, just to give you an idea, i've used 250+ Hours only in C2 working on the events.

I don't want to say that you can't do it or anything, it's just not recommendable as a first project, since you will have to redo much after some time, since you gain experience over time, and find better ways to handle stuff, that can be pretty annoying

2. Have a "Test" project, where you test mechanics and other stuff before implementing it, since you cant break anything there while testing how it could work.

3. Take a look at the sample .capx in C2 for RTS

4. Take a look at my devlog for my RTS, I continually post new stuff how to do some things, maybe you have an idea what i could explain next

(https://www.scirra.com/forum/shadows-of-war-rts-wip-devlog_t94686 )

5. Always keep an eye on the performance.

6. If it's going to be an big RTS you should only focus on using Node-Webkit as making a big RTS for the browser/mobile performance-wise wouldn't be a good idea.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)