Making Games for a Living?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:26 pm

Wanderlust a GM7 game recently made it on Desura and GamersGate. It is the best "made with a game maker" game I have ever played.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:01 am

It's definitely possible. If you're good enough and your game is good enough. Of course there's other factors involved but they're a minority. The thing is that you must be an artist to make true money with games. A programmer artist, a drawing artist, a business artist, a storytelling artist etc. Most people can't be all this things. That's why it's so important to have a good team. The starting point i think is creativity and persistence. If you don't have this two skills you'll probably fail.
It takes a lot of work and time. I'm 25, been indie since forever and couldn't work on anything else so i'm still poor. By now i'll probably never get a "normal" job anymore so my way is game dev.Kiyoshi2012-02-13 00:04:32
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:17 am

I make games for fun but not for profit , Would like to though but i would need more people to help which can become quite expensive.Steam is also very picky when it comes to selling your games through them.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:14 am

I intend to make some money of my game once it is finished :)

But being my only income? No.

You can be certain that i inform the Forum once i made my first sell ! :D
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:49 am

So why is Steam so damn picky? I don't get it.

And back on topic... It is possible to make money off yer games, and I agree with Kiyoshi, the more you can do by yerself, the better. A team looks all professional and dandy, but it can be expensive or impossible if you do not have money. I personally, can do everything, BUT not character sprites. I do sprite, but I have a very limited skill in it, and only that it's still a big set back ( more of a fear of getting any further into spriting, as I know how time consuming it is ). I do not make games for money, though. Probably never will. If I were to sell something it would be assets, mostly music. But certainly not enough for a living. Spriting is a great way to make money, as they are high in demand. A really good and professional spriter, makes around 20 an hour, but of course, unless you are rich or work for a company, that is extremely unrealistic.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:07 am

Right. Thanks a lot everyone, for your feedback on this.

To sum up, I understand there aren't any game makers here making games for a living, even though the general impression is that it IS possible, though not easy (well, if there's something that I'm NOT afraid of, that's HARD WORK lol ).

Another thing people seem to agree on is that you either need a team (artist + dev at least), or you need to be some sort of jack of all trades, or you need to buy (expensive) art.

@Arima, you mentioned that there are people making indie games for a living, even as a one-man-show. Who are they? How much do they make? I'd like to get in touch with one such person.

That said, my next question is: are there any serious wannabes here on this forum?

Cheers!
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:18 am

I started using C2 only a couple weeks back but i am not new to design nor scripting and i have told many a story in my Dungeons and Dragons days being the dungeon master. I aim for making a pretty penny out of game making however i don't think it will be overnight. I do also wonder how many people that are pro's use this program. I was very much doubting this could produce any sort of real fancy game but by now i think that can actually be done. The program is easy to use and fairly powerfull to my surprise BUT is it good enough to create A+ games? I actually do think so and have seen some great examples of slick design here too. We will also have to admit though, that most games will never see the light of day or shouldn't.

For many reasons illustrated by others in this topic i would still love to see a collaboration section in the forum. People could work together and that way at least have their names on some creditroll and perhaps even they could split any sort of revenue.

I aim to one day quit my dayjob *nods
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:44 am

[QUOTE=smitchell]Being just a games developer is not a reality in my opinion, not unless your Rovio making something like 120 million on a project, they can afford to make only games for the rest of there lives.[/QUOTE]

Fortunately, you don't have to be Rovio to "survive" as a game developer!

There is a wide range of profits, between 0 and 120 millions...
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:25 am

I believe its very possible to make some form of income with CC,C2 or MMF or GM. If you look at most of the major games sitting inside app stores, many of them are possible on software like this. Those snazzy looking graphics are hiding some fairly simplistic stuff.

For every Angry Birds, theres thousands of bad or ok apps out there. The market is just that big now. Don't expect to make tons of cash right off the bat with your game no matter how good it is. Best bet is to create create multiple good titles and get them on as many platforms as you can in a steady fashion.

Try and think realistic about it. Aim for what is doable with your current resources and time. Sometimes there are features that yes you could pull off and add into the game, but you don't have the time or manpower to get the game done in a reasonable time.

Its just that most of the time when someone is that serious about making games for a living or second form of income, they've either gone to school for it or learned to do it from scratch or knew someone to work with to build it up. There is also a good amount of games made with these types of software that never say they do.

As for platforms, your best bet is pc, FB, ios and droid in that order. Remember that the install base for pc is larger than ios and droid combined. Your selling window is also much longer on pc than mobile. When it comes to Steam, there are some MMF games on there and one gm game i know of. There are many flash games on there too. From what I heard gm and steam don't get along too well so it makes things difficult. Chrome store and windows 7 phone is still growing, but are worth keeping an eye on. Its not worth thinking about xbox indie.

This has been one of the most exciting times to be an indie dev since the days of Quake and Half Life. With tools like C2, casual gaming, digital stores and mobile markets its once again possible for small team of even just one person to create something fantastic in good time.
B
S

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:04 am

Isn't an "A+" game really in the eye of the beholder? What makes an A+ game? These days, I feel there's a lot of misconceptions about this issue. Many people get seduced by pretty and smooth graphics, yet, that is the biggest misconception of all.

Of course any of these game builders are capable of A+ games. You really do not need power to make a good game. Just look at commercial gaming of today, especially console based. It's all eye candy and clone after clone of the same sh*t. I can literally name SNES game better than most XBOX 360/PS3 and Wii games. But this is my eye, I come from old school gaming and I learned to appreciate games for what they are other than the eye candy. However, lots of people look just for eye candy and they literally think the game is 5 stars just cos of that. An A+ game depends on what you are looking for.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General