Making Games for a Living?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:31 am

I intend on making games for a bit of extra money, but by no means as a main source of income.

I now my limitations (drawing and sound) and my strong points (creativity and story telling). Mixing both, I can't yet make a full complete game on my own and my work doesn't leave me with enough energy to make it at the end of the day on a regular fashion.

Also, being a fairly new addition to the game making scene (bought GM8.1 August last year), and construct a month ago, I've been trying to find the most suitable tool for me. Having selected (and payed for) them, I can now get down to business.

My goals are making a game to at least pay for the tools I used to make them. No more, no less. Recoup investment and then make the next game so it makes enough money to pay a bill.

That's it, making games to help pay for a bill. Not a too ambitious project now, is it?
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:42 am

You can say I'm making a living by selling projects (app/games) made with C2, as I've explained in my postmortem not long ago.
For the next contract, I'm going to go business licence.
As I've said, it's possible to sell products made with C2 as an indy, but not right of the start on big mobile stores & markets. If you have some money by your side, it's going to be though, but possible, because you need to make a really good campaign to promote you creation.
I didn't go that way. As a starting indy, I'm making specific products for specific clients, with contract explaining clearly that some materials for those games/app can be reused (by me) to make games for online platforms later (it's then up to you to see with them of to split the money on those future game, by contract).
In the end, you need to build a reputation. If no professionnal knows you outside this community, you are not going to make solid money.
So :
1) get traction, reputation (hunt for contest with HTML5 games/app, edit a blog, talk in the community)
2) create a portfolio (with the free stuff and demo you posted here, and some part of you pro work made for the point 3)
3) work for specific clients at the beginning, to cash some money for future growth.
( 4) bonus point : don't start your business in France, you're not going to make it ;))Pode2012-02-13 11:42:49
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:02 pm

^^^ What's wrong with France, Ubisoft is from France
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:11 pm

Yeah, what's that about?
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:15 pm

I intend on making money with my games, I had better because I left university degree for it. Maybe it wont be a great amount but I remain optimistic.
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:30 pm

Thanks everyone for replying and for the new info.

@UberDark: way to go! keep us posted.
@eyeliner: I think it's quite ambitious. My goal is to make $1 then I'll see where I take it from there.
@GenkiGenga: best of luck!
@Pode, @Rev, and all the others: Thanks for the tips, much appreciated.

I'm hoping people will start sharing their success stories (however little) at monetizing games, inspiring others to do the same. I for one will

Cheers!
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:43 pm

I would assume that if someone would be able to create a game that meets high standards, and is visually polished, one way of doing it could be to release it to Chrome Web Store, and monetize it with subtle ads. If the title is good enough, it might end up as featured and gain alot of attention that way.

In the future when mobile support is better, things could also be monetized by releasing short, well polished games on iPhone/Android, for free with ads, and a paid version for around 1$.

Furthermore, i intend to make money with the games i release in the future. Me and a few guys are about to start a company, with the main focus being an award-winning concept with a release set towards Steam, and all C2 games being a bonus, which helps build the company portfolio - and may bring in a few coins.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:10 pm

@Geo I might be wrong about this info, but as I recall:

Cliff Harris. http://www.positech.co.uk/ IIRC $100k or more a year
Hanako: http://www.hanakogames.com/index.shtml
Notch of Minecraft fame was solo for a while, millions
Amanda Fitch: http://www.amaranthia.com/
Indinera: http://www.aldorlea.org/

And many more. I'm looking to support myself with my games made in construct, too!
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:11 am

Nice info. I believe they're all native games ?
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:23 am

Again IIRC:

Cliff Harris: native
Hanako: miscellaneous and game maker
Notch: java
Amanda Fitch: RPG maker and something else for one of her games
Indinera: RPG maker
B
S