Making music for your game

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:58 am

I'm very interested in this as well. What would be a good program to specifically create digital music within the program, rather than recording instruments?
Personally I'm most interested in ease of use, and it doesn't have to be free.
B
S

Post » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:27 am

If you want to create music without recording instruments you'll need software to sequence it with (generally a digital audio workstation or DAW) and some software synthesizers. There are a number of free DAWs for windows and mac and also some reasonably priced ones such as Reaper, which I would recommend as it's very powerful and cheap. You can load virtual studio instruments (vstis) into this (basically software synthesizers, but sample based instruments are also available) and compose away. There are lots of free ones out there, but a good one to check out initially is the excellent and free Synth1. It should be noted however that this stuff has a pretty high learning curve and getting good results won't happen quickly.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:35 am

newgrounds.com audio section is good. Both for game loops and music. Usually you just contact the artist and ask permission then put them in credits or whatever.

Here are my tracks:

http://silkng.newgrounds.com/audio/

I'm happy for them to be used, so long as you give me credit. :)silkc22013-03-14 09:37:13
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:50 am

I'm back, I'm a little concerned with using Jewelbeat as this part of the user agreement can pose a problem:

6a. The Licensee is permitted under the Standard License to distribute up to 50,000 copies of a physical or downloadable product, including but not limited to DVDs, software, downloadable games and downloadable videos that incorporate The Music.
6b. The Licensee is permitted under the Extended License to distribute up to 1,000,000 copies of a physical or downloadable product, including but not limited to DVDs, software, downloadable games and downloadable videos that incorporate The Music.

Figured there had to be a catch... if I read this right you can't sell more than that amount. Like if you used a song for an app, you're limited selling 50k (downloads in this case?) of that app for standard.

Can anyone clarify?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:54 am

6a specifies that you cannot sell more than 50k copies if you use music from Jewelbeat.
Project Lead of Zems Online Card Game

Producer at Impulse Limited
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:57 am

@Crackpot It looks like that applies to the standard license, but if you purchase the extended license ($49) there aren't any limits. So essentially, just buy the $1 and if you're lucky enough that you're getting close to selling 50,000 copies, then just buy the extended license.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:55 am

[QUOTE=rabidsheep] @Crackpot It looks like that applies to the standard license, but if you purchase the extended license ($49) there aren't any limits. So essentially, just buy the $1 and if you're lucky enough that you're getting close to selling 50,000 copies, then just buy the extended license.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm thinking too far ahead so I went ahead and purchased the songs I need for the game. Of all the royalty free sites, Jewelbeat seemed to have the best selection at a reasonable price even if you chose extended. The million thing kind of irked me is all.

Once again, thanks to everyone for your help!
B
S
G

Previous

Return to How do I....?